Homemade Soup with Potato

MommaMawby

So my husband was trying to be helpful and do some prep work for me today and he made a big batch (like 8-10 cups) of soup. WIth POTATO!!!

Is this going to be a no go for me? I get that potatoes are unadvisable in whole30 but, I am hoping that because they are in a soup (along with homemade chicken broth, carrots, celery, zucchini, broccoli and onions) I can slide in what will amount to possibly 1/4 of a potato per bowl?

I am going to feel horribly bad if he put in all the effort to put together what smells like an amazing soup and I don't eat it.

He was trying to get rid of the 4 potatoes we had left over from Christmas as we don't usually have white/purple/red/yellow potatoes in the house. I am not too concerned about a bowl of soup being a gateway food to a plate of french fries or a bag of Lay's as those are things we never keep in the house.

Thanks,

Christie

• Moderators

I am really sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the Whole30 guidelines don't leave room for even a little of off-plan foods. Even in the case of potatoes, which are not harmful. I would eat the soup and then start my Whole30, but if that would throw your schedule off, you might freeze it like Mjam suggests.

I would say that personally for me, this would not be a reason to fret or start over. I don't have an issue with potatoes. The reason they area no no is because so many people overdo them. They aren't terribly nutritious and will push other veggies off your plate. I would encourage your husband to read ISWF. :)

I confessed the soups unacceptable nature to the hubs.....he laughed at me and ate a bowl right in front of me all the while extolling its awesomeness. It is being portioned out and put into the deep freeze.

His new project is beanless chill and chicken vegetable.

I confessed the soups unacceptable nature to the hubs.....he laughed at me and ate a bowl right in front of me all the while extolling its awesomeness. It is being portioned out and put into the deep freeze.

His new project is beanless chill and chicken vegetable.

Just in case...remind him that corn is a grain and not okay on W30. :0)

Just for some perspective (since I know the issue has been dealt with), I would have picked out the taters, kissed my husband and not thought another thing about it :wub:

Sometimes Tom and I disagree on stuff. But it's all cool because he's the Green Leafy Ninja :ph34r: and we both have your best interests in mind.

Poor MM, brave choice. I had to remove the bacon off my plate of eggs that hubby had dished out for me yesterday... I havent eaten bacon since October and he knows it has sugar and I am not having sugar but he forgot... and was quite defensive when I took it off my plate. Maybe I should have been more sensitive like Robin suggests... But Re the potatoes I think they do spike insulin in some people due to their starch content so might be okay for some but not others. For me more damaging would be the knowledge that I had offroaded once and therefore would have less will power against the next offroad temptation.

I managed to get through a whole30 with only one offroad - a stockcube on day27. Lucky for me it must have had onion in and made me sick so I didnt offroad again after that LOL. I am doing a whole100 and I know I will struggle to follow the plan perfectly but the one thing I have committed to is no non-compliant choices - no exceptions and if I do this I will consider myself successful for this event.

Just for some perspective (since I know the issue has been dealt with), I would have picked out the taters, kissed my husband and not thought another thing about it :wub:

Sometimes Tom and I disagree on stuff. But it's all cool because he's the Green Leafy Ninja :ph34r: and we both have your best interests in mind.

Tom the Green Leafy Ninja....LOVE IT!

Seriously - I give him complete credit for getting me to eat more greens! We get a weekly veggie box and there are usually at least 2 tubs of greens. They were going to waste, but then every time I sat down to a meal without them I thought, "Tom says we should eat them at every meal...". Now I average 1 or 2 a day, but that's a big improvement for me.

I had to write: NO. or YES. with sharpy on just about everything in my cupboard so my wife doesn't mess up..... I still don't trust her to cook me anything unless I watch it going down..... She once made me a cucumber salad and I swore there was sugar in it just by touching a piece to my tongue.... It was the white balsamic I didn't eat it anyway and she was pissed..... Unfortunately she thinks its another fad and I'm still on the roller coaster waiting for me to find the next new thing.... I guess 7 months of great health isn't enough proof. Oh well.....

• Moderators

Aww. To be the Green Leafy Ninja is my proudest accomplishment since... I don't know when. I think I'll go right now and wilt about 1/3 of a pound of leafy greens with some chopped onion and red pepper and eat it with some slow cooker roast beef to celebrate!

Now back to potatoes. I failed to read the guidelines carefully during my first Whole30 and ate white potatoes from a food bar in a Greek restaurant every Thursday for three weeks before I realized my mistake. That was 2.5 years ago and I had a great first Whole30. Obviously, the potatoes did not cause me any trouble, but I want you to do better than me. And I'm a little obsessive, so I need Robin and Susan to keep me... er, flexible.

Aww. To be the Green Leafy Ninja is my proudest accomplishment since... I don't know when. I think I'll go right now and wilt about 1/3 of a pound of leafy greens with some chopped onion and red pepper and eat it with some slow cooker roast beef to celebrate!

Now back to potatoes. I failed to read the guidelines carefully during my first Whole30 and ate white potatoes from a food bar in a Greek restaurant every Thursday for three weeks before I realized my mistake. That was 2.5 years ago and I had a great first Whole30. Obviously, the potatoes did not cause me any trouble, but I want you to do better than me. And I'm a little obsessive, so I need Robin and Susan to keep me... er, flexible.

Oh no...we need you to keep us on the straight and narrow. :)

Well, I figured they were a no no in the baked, boiled, steamed, fried, mashed, cheese stuffed, bacon accessorized varieties but given that it was less than a 1/4 cup pureed in soup I thought I would try :)

We make our own broths from scratch and our salad dressings, mayo, mustard, ketchup, bbq sauce etc. (it is what happens when two foodies marry each other). I have guides taped to the fridge now about what is and isn't acceptable. He isn't doing the Whole30 with me but we are about 70% paleo (higher if you count all the quasi-paleo almond/coconut flour goodies we have created in the past). Made two salad dressings for the week and clarified some butter. Now I am tossing a chunk of organic free range cow in the oven for my breakfast tomorrow.

Thanks for your help....I am sure there will be more questions once I start rolling :)

Archived