Is too many sweet potatoes possible?

seannymurrs

Just started Whole30 for the first time (on day 6), and have a question I’m hoping someone can answer. Is there a downside to having sweet potato as my main vegetable source throughout the day? I typically haves microwaved sweet potato and chicken thighs for lunch, and then another sweet potato with whatever protein source I choose for dinner. I’m also a runner and coach, so I’ve been thinking about adding some chicken breast and sweet potato as my workout snack. I definitely don’t mind eating that many sweet potatoes. They taste great, are easy to prepare, and are relatively cheap. I do want to check to make sure I’m not doing any kind of disservice to my body by not having more of a variety of vegetables. As a side note, my breakfasts do NOT include sweet potatoes. I eat a combination of eggs and egg whites scrambled with some frozen bell peppers & onion. I also drink a cup of coffee blended w/ coconut oil and ghee (1 tbsp each).

That's A LOT of sweet potatoes. Over exposure to ANY food can result in a food sensitivity so I'd be wary of that, and of the high starch content which will likely effect your blood sugar & probably prevent you from becoming fat adapted. Are you eating any non starchy veg other than the peppers?

I haven’t been, but that’s jest because I love sweet potatoes. Lol. I think I may switch to having Costco frozen Normandy blend with dinner (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots). I also feel as though I’m eating too much protein. I know we aren’t supposed to count calories, but I know from previous experience that what I’m eating is pushing 200g of protein a day. That’s wel over 1g per lb of my body weight, which I’ve always hear was the upper limit. 

• Moderators
4 hours ago, seannymurrs said:

I haven’t been, but that’s jest because I love sweet potatoes. Lol. I think I may switch to having Costco frozen Normandy blend with dinner (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots). I also feel as though I’m eating too much protein. I know we aren’t supposed to count calories, but I know from previous experience that what I’m eating is pushing 200g of protein a day. That’s wel over 1g per lb of my body weight, which I’ve always hear was the upper limit. 

How are you determining your protein portion size?  Are you using the template recommendation of 1-2 pieces that are the size of your own palm (thickness x width x length).  It's a range you you can try decreasing to the low end of the template or if you're not using the template then you may want to consider starting :)

Archived