Veggie toppings

katelo

• Moderators
1 hour ago, katelo said:

What do you all put on your veggies? I love broccoli with a little butter and salt.. What do you use instead of butter?

Clarified butter, also called ghee.  I like a blob of garlicky mayo on some veggies... you can put pesto, chimichurri, sunshine sauce (google meljoulwan.com sunshine sauce for that recipe)

• Moderators

This recipe is for green beans, but I think it would be good with broccoli too -- you'll probably have to adjust the cooking times some, depending on how done you like your broccoli. Here are several different pesto sauces. You can do a balsamic reduction. But honestly, my favorite is roasted vegetables of any kind with homemade mayo for dipping -- once you get the hang of making mayo, it's easy and only takes a few minutes. When I'm really lazy but need some extra fat in a meal, I just drizzle with olive oil or maybe sesame oil, and add some chopped cashews or almonds or whatever nuts I have on hand.

13 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Clarified butter, also called ghee.  I like a blob of garlicky mayo on some veggies... you can put pesto, chimichurri, sunshine sauce (google meljoulwan.com sunshine sauce for that recipe)

Thank you @SugarcubeOD .. I had read about Ghee but was thinking it was just for cooking. I will try that! I also love pesto, hadn't thought of that, thanks for all the suggestions!

9 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

This recipe is for green beans, but I think it would be good with broccoli too -- you'll probably have to adjust the cooking times some, depending on how done you like your broccoli. Here are several different pesto sauces. You can do a balsamic reduction. But honestly, my favorite is roasted vegetables of any kind with homemade mayo for dipping -- once you get the hang of making mayo, it's easy and only takes a few minutes. When I'm really lazy but need some extra fat in a meal, I just drizzle with olive oil or maybe sesame oil, and add some chopped cashews or almonds or whatever nuts I have on hand.

Thank you @ShannonM816 those are great suggestions! Mmmm pesto! I will have to figure out a good homemade mayo recipe. I did pick up Tessemae's compliant Caesar dressing at Whole Foods yesterday so I could probably use that for dipping too. Is there a specific ratio you should follow for meals? Like IIFYM where you have to have a certain amount of fat and protein in each?

• Moderators
4 hours ago, katelo said:

Thank you @SugarcubeOD .. I had read about Ghee but was thinking it was just for cooking. I will try that! I also love pesto, hadn't thought of that, thanks for all the suggestions!

Thank you @ShannonM816 those are great suggestions! Mmmm pesto! I will have to figure out a good homemade mayo recipe. I did pick up Tessemae's compliant Caesar dressing at Whole Foods yesterday so I could probably use that for dipping too. Is there a specific ratio you should follow for meals? Like IIFYM where you have to have a certain amount of fat and protein in each?

The ratio is on the template where we recommend added plated fat in the quantities depending on what plated fat you're

eating...

whole30-meal-planning.pdf

It's REALLY hard to overeat fat tho, so if you're dipping veggies for instance, just pour yourself a little puddle of mayo or ranch or pesto and then play it by ear... Your meals should get you 4-5 hours between without the need to snack and fat is a huge part of that so it's a good metric that if you're getting 4-5 hours between and not still feeling stuffed by the time the next meal rolls around, then your fat intake is probably correct.  Clear as mud?

Last night I made the teriyaki pork recipe from Paleo Running Mama and used the extra sauce to coat the broccoli I roasted on the side - so good! I used a verrrry minimal amount of date paste and squeezed a fresh orange in there for the sweetness to balance the flavors 

• Moderators

Last night after I posted here that I love Dukkah, I reheated some roasted veggies (kale, red cabbage, broc, bsprouts and mushrooms) with olive oil and dukkah in a pan on the stove, then put a tiny blob of mayo on the whole thing for my veggies... DELICIOUS!

Archived