Starting over

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, NikayaSmith said:

I did look at Walmart. What the heck???? I made a separate trip last weekend just to look for coconut milk and read labels in the dressing and spaghetti sauce aisles so I wouldn’t have to try to do it while grocery shopping. Granted, I didn’t find anything, but I DID dedicate specific time just for looking for whole30 foods.

Thank you for the links above. I hadn’t seen the page “Recommendations”. It left me with a lot of questions and things I still don’t understand, but makes me feel so much better about not liking olive oil since it’s not recommended anyway. Again, thank you. When I started I thought it was just don’t eat these things. I’m learning more every day. 

I’ll look up the ghee again. If I can find one for the cost of a box a butter I’ll cut out a box next week and order a thing of ghee. I’m sure I just looked wrong or something. Hopefully the kids will like it, too. :) 

Thank you for all your support! I’m off to search for new vegetable recipes!!

Where in the link of recommendations did you see that Olive oil is not recommended???

It talks about how in chapter nine they explain why vegetable oils are not allowed. It doesn’t go into detail because I guess it explains why In the book. It did say you have to use them to make mayo and sauces but they should be avoided. 

Or I completely misunderstood because you wouldn’t be asking if I hadn’t messed up.... 

So, let’s celebrate that I read the info!! :) I just re-read it before answering but I guess I’m not understanding. I’m sorry...  I really tried. 

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, NikayaSmith said:

It talks about how in chapter nine they explain why vegetable oils are not allowed.

Olive oil is not considered vegetable oil - it literally lists out what seed oils are... and the template which has been linked to along with the shopping list shows Olive Oil.

38 minutes ago, NikayaSmith said:

So, let’s celebrate that I read the info!!

Um... I think you're much smarter than needing a 'celebration' to commend you for reading an article that has been linked to for you a few times that contains valuable information on the program you're voluntarily doing.

I had absolutely no way of knowing olive oil wasn’t considered a vegetable oil. And I didn’t say anything about seed oils because I can’t find them here. I didn’t bring up seed oils at all.

and yes I saw olive oil on the shopping list, but it specifically said vegetable oils can’t be avoided altogether. 

Honestly, I still don’t understand. But that’s fine because I don’t cook with oils. 

I get so confused every time this happens. I dont even know how oils came up again....

I have apologized every time I’ve messed up. I’m truly sorry that i don’t understand, but I’m  beginning to feel like I shouldn’t ask questions. Im sorry. 

People on this forum also answer with future readers in mind so that the correct information is in a thread.  You said that olive oil is not recommended, which is not correct, and referenced the recommendations link.  The recommendations link states that vegetable and seed oils aren't recommended and lists out what those specifically are, which is why oils came up.

No one here wants you to stop asking questions, as the purpose of the forum is for asking questions and sharing knowledge. I think what might be causing other users to scratch their heads is that you're asking the same questions over and over despite being linked to appropriate resources on the official website that should be helping to clear up your confusion. Links to official information will continue to be posted by other users and mods so that future newbies aren't inadvertently led astray. 

The search function within the forum is pretty terrible, so if you still have questions beyond what is listed in the official resources try being more specific with Google. Typing "whole30 + vegetable oil", for example, into Google brings up a forum thread as the top result and an official blog post as the second. I would avoid reading anything in a random personal blog as someone's potentially incorrect interpretation of Whole 30 rules may add to your confusion. "whole30 + healthy fat sources" brings up another thread that someone started in 2017 because they don't like avocados and wanted some suggestions on how to add healthy fats to their meals. If search results bring up old threads (like older than +/-3 years), there's certainly no harm in asking questions to verify if information in the thread is still valid or not. There are lots of examples on a daily basis of older threads being resurrected because someone asks a question in them. 

20 hours ago, NikayaSmith said:

I have apologized every time I’ve messed up. I’m truly sorry that i don’t understand, but I’m  beginning to feel like I shouldn’t ask questions. Im sorry. 

I think it may also help you to try and stop feeling so negative every time you have a question. They're allowed! The forum is here for people to ask questions, but like trexmafia also said, the mods (and everyone else) tend to include a bit more information so that you have more info and so that people searching the forum in the future have more information. 

I know that you want to be successful on your Whole30 and you can be! Maybe where you live and your lack of access to more specialty items will make following some recipes harder, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. Honestly, that just means that your recipes will probably be simpler but one of the most delicious recipes out there involves putting chicken in a crockpot with a jar of salsa and cooking it until the chicken's done. If you don't have a crockpot, you could bake the chicken with the salsa on top. Shred it up and eat :)

Ask your questions (and stop apologizing for them). Try out some new ways of cooking *before* starting over. 

It's a big change to how you're used to cooking and eating, but it doesn't have to be daunting. You *can* do it and you need to start believing that you can. There's a mindset shift that has to happen to or you will just keep stressing yourself out. 

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed this thread was started over a week ago and I hope you've been able to get the information you were looking for. It can be very frustrating if you're not used to reading labels.

When I can't figure out how to do something, YouTube comes to the rescue. For example: go to YouTube, type "how to make ghee" in the search box. You will see a huge list of videos where you can watch a step by step process of how to make it. You can also type in "Whole30 recipes" and get another huge list of videos that give step by step instructions.

Just FYI as to which oils are vegetable and which ones aren't:

Olive, avocado and palm (not palm kernel) oils are actually from fruit, therefore not a vegetable oil. Almond, sesame and coconut oils are from seeds. Ghee, lard and tallow are animal fats. These are all healthy fats.

According to the Whole30 rules: grape seed, canola (rapeseed), sunflower seed and safflower seed oils are allowed, but not encouraged.

Vegetable oils include corn (grain), soy (legume), rice bran (grain), palm kernel and even cotton seed (vegetable???). Definitely not healthy.

Wishing you success.

Archived