Best easiest veggies ever

CMB227

Yesterday, I went to the grocery with my mind not in a good place.  Oh, was it hard to stay on the outer edges of the store and not give in.  I went to the frozen foods section looking for quick fix veggies because veggies are required.  I am not a veggie or salad eater by nature.  It is really forced, and any indication that I am enjoying veggies is just a lie.  Sorry, but that's the truth of it.  Anyway,  I found Green Giant Riced Cauliflower and Sweet Potatoes and thought that looks easy enough and might be pretty good.  It's in a steamer bag, but I don't trust that - the whole plastic in a microwave thing just doesn't work for me.  After microwaving the contents and dishing out a whole CUP (50 calories!!!)  I added salt and a little ghee. Oh my goodness was that good.  I had visions of becoming a vegetarian for a few brief moments. (LOL)  I also bought the roasted cauliflower which I will try today.  AND on the label of this little gem there are two ingredients listed - cauliflower and sweet potato.  Nuttin' else!  WHOOT!

I love using spiralized sweet potato to make "hashbrowns" for breakfast on weekends. I cook them up in ghee with some salt, pepper, and spices. Then I cook up some bacon, fry a couple of eggs in the bacon grease, plop those on top of the sweet potatoes, and YUM! 

23 hours ago, Grammyof5 said:

They also make zucchini spirals, aka zoodles. I’ve seen zucchini, butternut squash and carrots. The only ingredient is the vegetable. I bought a bag but haven’t tried them yet. 

I wasn't aware that GG made the zoodles.  I will definitely look for those!  Thanks.

23 hours ago, kirbz said:

I love using spiralized sweet potato to make "hashbrowns" for breakfast on weekends. I cook them up in ghee with some salt, pepper, and spices. Then I cook up some bacon, fry a couple of eggs in the bacon grease, plop those on top of the sweet potatoes, and YUM! 

That does sound amazing!  I have a spiralizer and will try that this week.  Thanks for the idea.

12 hours ago, Jfoxfurie said:

Zoodles are great sautéed in a little olive oil and then mixed with spaghetti sauce (one with no sugar). It almost seems like you are eating pasta.

My spiralizer is still in its packaging.  Other than my total disdain (yuck)  for vegetables, I have no reason not to try this.  I just can't believe that it will work and taste good. What  veggies do you use?  Just zucchini or due you use others?  Oh my, this will be a leap of faith for me!!!

Oh. My. Goodness! Open that spiralizer up and get cooking! I had one sitting in a cupboard for YEARS, too fearful to use it. I thought it would be hard and complicate and messy and time consuming. But it isn't!! 

I use it most often to make hashbrowns using half regular potato and half sweet potato. But I've also used it to spiralize zucchini for citrus grilled shrimp "pasta." I've also used it for a fresh salad where I spiralized cucumber and beets and then added strawberry and a lemon sauce on top. 

Your options are endless! It's simple though, so go use it! 

25 minutes ago, CMB227 said:

My spiralizer is still in its packaging.  Other than my total disdain (yuck)  for vegetables, I have no reason not to try this.  I just can't believe that it will work and taste good. What  veggies do you use?  Just zucchini or due you use others?  Oh my, this will be a leap of faith for me!!!

I love spiralizing cucumber and carrot and making a cold Asian-inspired "noodle" salad with a sesame oil and rice wine vinaigrette (just check the rice wine vinegar carefully as most have added sugar or use a different vinegar). You can add chicken or shrimp plus other toppings like scallions, pepper, etc. 

18 hours ago, CMB227 said:

Yes-try it! I LOVE my spiralizer! I use it mostly for zucchini (easy to spiralize) and sweet potatoes (a bit more challenging due to hardness but still doable),  Zucchini I like to have as a cold salad (any dressing works, I like one with almond butter and rice vinegar & sesame oil), and sweet potatoes sauteed w coconut oil or ghee-YUM! Better than french fries. I could never get a carrot to work but want to try cucumber to make a thai-style salad. 

Archived