February 5, 2018 Accountability Buddies

KalinaM

Gasp! Ohmygoshyouguys!!!!! I made this recipe tonight for dinner due to food boredom and google searching ingredients I had on hand..... SO. Freakin. GOOD! Two minor adjustments I made.... I had chicken breasts, not thighs on hand and I used thyme as the main spice. Enjoy!

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/skillet-chicken-mushrooms-low-carb-gluten-free-2/

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/26/2018 at 8:18 PM, Charlene33 said:

I'm still up and down in my energy level. But I have noticed that on cloudy, dreary days I am tired and depressed and on sunny days I have been feeling great. We have had a lot of cloudy dreary days lately and I'm getting really tired of it so I think it is actually that more than my diet. 

Do you take vitamin D? I am totally a believer that we NEED our sunshine vitamin d! (But I am guilty of not doing anything about it usually.) But, YES... I get this. Totally get this.

17 hours ago, Ckjos said:

Still here! I am thinking about doing dairy on my day one. I want a celebratory cappucino! And (plain) yogurt with fruit for breakfast! Then hopefully a few drinks on Saturday, Legumes the following Tuesday and grains to finish off the week! I need to reread the reintroduction part of the book this weekend so i can mentally prepare myself for the reintroduction. I don't want to end up downing 40 donuts because I wasn't mentally ready! ;)

YAY!!! Celebratory cappucino is a great idea! And YES planning reintroduction is probably even MORE important than planning the whole30 program itself since the rules are more guidelines than actual rules!

3 hours ago, Jeanne M said:

I planning on doing dairy first too.  I’m pretty sure it’s going to be my main issue, so want to identify it and plan my adjustments.  

You might surprise yourself.... I mean, your instincts could be spot on.... but my first whole30, I was POSITIVE dairy was an issue but it didn't give me any trouble at ALL during reintroduction. I WAS surprised that legumes were the culprit the whole time! But, I think you have a good plan to try it first. Just be sure if it DOES cause symptoms to stay on whole30 foods until you feel better before reintroducing something else. I'm interested to know how you react!

On 2/27/2018 at 8:34 AM, april_espi said:

No tiger blood for me either and sleep has taken a turn for the worse. Lack of good sleep is making me want to throw in the towel but with a week left, might as well stick with it.

I'm so sorry you're struggling.... did you ever get any good tips in the troubleshooting section? Did you explore the possibilities of eggs/nightshades/FODmaps being a problem for you?

11 hours ago, Jeanne M said:

I planning on doing dairy first too.  I’m pretty sure it’s going to be my main issue, so want to identify it and plan my adjustments.

That sounds like a good and logical idea! Good luck! :)

18 hours ago, Charlene33 said:

Well, I haven't been weighing at all and this is my first time, so I really don't know, but  - people have been saying I look like I have lost weight and some days I think so and some days I feel like my weight has gone back up again and my clothes are tighter. I know it is normal for our weight to fluctuate, whether doing whole 30 or not, so I'm trying not to worry about it, but it's hard. I'm sorry that happened to you - she really should not have said that. Sometimes people just do not think before they speak :( I keep trying to remind myself - just trust the process. 

You're right, I think it is normal for our weight to fluctuate. I saw some friends last night that I hadn't seen since I started whole30 and one of them told my boyfriend that he really noticed I was losing weight, especially in my face. So I'm just going to not let the weight be my main goal going forward and instead try to hold on to more NSV and focus on how I feel. Thank you for your support! :)

7 hours ago, KalinaM said:

Gasp! Ohmygoshyouguys!!!!! I made this recipe tonight for dinner due to food boredom and google searching ingredients I had on hand..... SO. Freakin. GOOD! Two minor adjustments I made.... I had chicken breasts, not thighs on hand and I used thyme as the main spice. Enjoy!

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/skillet-chicken-mushrooms-low-carb-gluten-free-2/

Yum! Thanks for sharing! :)

So, I woke up this morning with a cold or allergies or something. My nose is completely closed, I can't taste anything and I just feel fuzzy in my head. I normally don't mind colds, but I am nervous that this will harm my reintroduction and prevent me from ascertaining how the various foods affect my body. :( I am drinking a ton of fresh ginger/lemon tea, eating food with lots of vitamins, using essential oils (Looking at you, "Thieves") and just drinking lots and lots of liquids. Fingers crossed it's better by Wednesday! 

Otherwise, it's a beautiful sunny Sunday in Berlin and I'm about to go out and get a dose of vitamin D! :) I hope you all are well! I can't believe there are just two full days left! This is so exciting! 

Is anybody else more scared/nervous than excited about day 31? I am so afraid of going backwards....I feel like I am scared of food now.  But I am so over being the difficult one when ordering at restaurants and being the teetotaler at a bar or concert.  But my non scale goal of better sleep which eluded me in my first whole30 has arrived this time.  I am sleeping so well. I don’t want to give it back.  

21 hours ago, KalinaM said:

Do you take vitamin D? I am totally a believer that we NEED our sunshine vitamin d! (But I am guilty of not doing anything about it usually.) But, YES... I get this. Totally get this.

Yes, I do. Frantic search at the beginning of my whole 30 to find a compliant one. Maybe I need to increase my dose. 

9 hours ago, Mountain Girl said:

Is anybody else more scared/nervous than excited about day 31? I am so afraid of going backwards....I feel like I am scared of food now.  But I am so over being the difficult one when ordering at restaurants and being the teetotaler at a bar or concert.  But my non scale goal of better sleep which eluded me in my first whole30 has arrived this time.  I am sleeping so well. I don’t want to give it back.  

I’m nervous!  Not really scared of food, but worried about slipping back to old habits, I’m a stress/emotional eater,so I know I’ll need to pay attention to the sugar and processed food.  I only ate out once during this round, and I’m sure that will be a challenge.  I’m planning to do a second round pretty soon to make sure I know my triggers and get my body used to eat well most of the time.  Sleeping isn’t going well for me either.  I did feel like I had more energy the past couple of days.  We can do this!!

It's day 29, everyone!!!! WOW! How did that happen so quickly? We're almost there..... I know some of you are nervous.... it's soooooooo important to keep meal planning to keep yourself on track during reinro. But, eventually, you'll become confident and know what you can and cannot have and what's "worth it" to you. You've come this far!!! Celebrate!

2 hours ago, KalinaM said:

It's day 29, everyone!!!! WOW! How did that happen so quickly?

Right?! It seems like it went by VERY quickly! I had a dream last night that I had chocolate ice cream (it was day 28 in my dream) and I was so disappointed in myself. But there was no way I was going to start over. Luckily I woke up and realized I hadn't cheated and everything was fine. ;)

I will be extending whole30 due to my cold (although I will weigh myself on da 31, I'm tired of waiting). I was so looking forward to my cappucino! Oh well, it will still taste good whenever I'm healthy enough to start my reintroduction! I can't wait to hear how the reintroductions go for all of you! Enjoy your last day! 

2 hours ago, Ckjos said:

I was so disappointed in myself. But there was no way I was going to start over. Luckily I woke up and realized I hadn't cheated and everything was fine. ;)

I had a dream similar to this earlier on in the program!!! I ate an entire bag of potato chips in my dream and then cried!!!! That was one of the worst "nightmares" I remember having in terms of the relief factor when waking up to realize it was a dream!!! 

6 hours ago, KalinaM said:

It's day 29, everyone!!!! WOW! How did that happen so quickly? We're almost there..... I know some of you are nervous.... it's soooooooo important to keep meal planning to keep yourself on track during reinro. But, eventually, you'll become confident and know what you can and cannot have and what's "worth it" to you. You've come this far!!! Celebrate!

I meal prepped yesterday like I was still on plan the whole week.  I’m planning to stay fairly compliant all week.  Although today, I found out we have a food truck coming to work for lunch on Wednesday (how coincidental!) and it’s a pizza truck!  I think I’m going to have it, because they use local fresh produce and make everything fresh and they have salad options.  Probably not the best re-introduction, but pizza is one of the things I have missed.  

2 hours ago, Jeanne M said:

I meal prepped yesterday like I was still on plan the whole week.  I’m planning to stay fairly compliant all week.  Although today, I found out we have a food truck coming to work for lunch on Wednesday (how coincidental!) and it’s a pizza truck!  I think I’m going to have it, because they use local fresh produce and make everything fresh and they have salad options.  Probably not the best re-introduction, but pizza is one of the things I have missed.  

The program literature specifically mentions pizza as a BAD choice for reintoduction - if you have a reaction, how will you know if it's from the gluten in the crust, the dairy in the cheese, or maybe even sugar in the sauce?

On a positive note, pizza is the one thing that continues to look good to me 9 months into mostly whole 30 eating, but I am mostly able to stay away from it due to Mel Joulwan's Meatza recipe: https://meljoulwan.com/2010/02/16/dinner-and-a-movie™-meatza-pie-and-the-vancouver-olympics/  I make this all the time and absolutely LOVE it!  Hope it satisfies your craving too...

Happy day 30 everyone! Congratulations to everyone who made it this far! I don't know about you guys, but I feel very accomplished. :) I got a little ahead of myself and made a list (using the book) of all of my non-scale victories. It's nice to look at. :) My whole 30 wasnt perfect (I didn't eat any off-limit foods, but sometimes things got in the way of my meal plans and I was forced to snack), but I am really happy I did it. I plan on doing it again, so the things I didn't do right this time, I can focus more on the next time. 

I am really happy I have a cold right now actually, because I don't feel quite ready to reintroduce the various food groups yet. Although I will be happy when I can have cottage cheese and cappucinos again! I am planning on doing the Fast-track reintroduction (although maybe making it a liiiittle slower than ten days).  Fingers crossed that dairy and legumes are no problem for me. I can live with out (or at least very rarely) eating processed carbs and drinking alcohol. But I love my dairy and black beans and tofu. 

How are you all? :)

Congrats to everyone on completed 30 days! I’m excited but I will not be reintroducing any items I plan on doing another 30 days. I actually don’t miss much of the things I ate before with the exception of pizza which I LOVE!!! But it can wait I’m in no rush. These 30 days I didn’t exercise at all, but with my next 30 days I plan on incorporating exercises into my routine. I used to work out 5-6 days a well but after getting sick I stopped for the last 3 months. It’s time to get back into my workouts and staying on Whole30. Love to hear about everyone’s NSV’s!

1 hour ago, WJStar said:

Congrats to everyone on completed 30 days! I’m excited but I will not be reintroducing any items I plan on doing another 30 days. I actually don’t miss much of the things I ate before with the exception of pizza which I LOVE!!! But it can wait I’m in no rush. These 30 days I didn’t exercise at all, but with my next 30 days I plan on incorporating exercises into my routine. I used to work out 5-6 days a well but after getting sick I stopped for the last 3 months. It’s time to get back into my workouts and staying on Whole30. Love to hear about everyone’s NSV’s!

I did the same with exercise this time.  I’m going to do another round in a couple of weeks and add in exercise.  Pizza and potatoe chips for me, pizza I’ll have, but going to avoid the chips as long as I can.  Congrats to you too!

3 hours ago, Ckjos said:

Happy day 30 everyone! Congratulations to everyone who made it this far! I don't know about you guys, but I feel very accomplished. :) I got a little ahead of myself and made a list (using the book) of all of my non-scale victories. It's nice to look at. :) My whole 30 wasnt perfect (I didn't eat any off-limit foods, but sometimes things got in the way of my meal plans and I was forced to snack), but I am really happy I did it. I plan on doing it again, so the things I didn't do right this time, I can focus more on the next time. 

I am really happy I have a cold right now actually, because I don't feel quite ready to reintroduce the various food groups yet. Although I will be happy when I can have cottage cheese and cappucinos again! I am planning on doing the Fast-track reintroduction (although maybe making it a liiiittle slower than ten days).  Fingers crossed that dairy and legumes are no problem for me. I can live with out (or at least very rarely) eating processed carbs and drinking alcohol. But I love my dairy and black beans and tofu. 

How are you all? :)

Congrats to you too!  I’m okay actually starting to have a little more energy, so I’m glad for that.  Planning to do another round soon and make sure I don’t go back to my old habits.  It’s a little weird, because I’m thinking of what I want to really have vs. is it worth it?  My mindset toward food is definitely much more healthy.  

Congrats everyone!!!! We did it! 30 days! No grains, dairy, sugar, alcohol, legumes, et al. Woot! Biggest NSV... no foggy brain, easier to wake in the morning, deeper sleep at night, pants are looser, skin is clearer, and sweet cravings are gone! I went grocery shopping today and walked through the bakery and even browsed at some of it since it's day 30 afterall and thought.... "meh." No thanks! What?!?  Most importantly, I learned that while difficult, it's not impossible to cook good food with a toddler underfoot. 

On 3/3/2018 at 2:52 AM, Ckjos said:

Great advice! That is amazing you have done this 4 times! It is definitely something worth coming back to. I hope to be forgiving with myself after whole 30 and I definitely plan too do it again, I'd like to do it 60 days starting next January, but maybe there will be an opportunity to do it sooner than that. In the warm months, I hate to do it though. I love having the freedom to go to restaurants and bars with friends in the summer and sit outside. But I need to look into what 80% whole30 looks like. If you do that do you have certain days where you don't do whole30? Or just a certain amount of times per week you break from whole30? I'll give that some thought too.

My not Whole30 eating basically looks exactly like Whole30 eating, with the exception of adding in some GF grains into my post workout/sport snacks and probiotic dairy (plain kefir and yogurt) a few times a week, which probably works out to like 90% ish?

I follow a program designed for me by a dietician when I'm not Whole30'ing, and it's very interesting to note that although she is very pro-dairy and pro-grain, my days look almost the same! It just goes to show that you can truly get a full nutritional scope on the Whole30 :)

On 3/3/2018 at 8:01 PM, KalinaM said:

I'm so sorry you're struggling.... did you ever get any good tips in the troubleshooting section? Did you explore the possibilities of eggs/nightshades/FODmaps being a problem for you?

Well I got feedback from one lifelong-insomniac who said diet isn't always the answer. She encouraged me to continue exploring my options and that's just what I did. I now have an appointment for cognitive behavioral therapy :)

Archived