February 5, 2018 Accountability Buddies

KalinaM

1 hour ago, april_espi said:

Day 1 was good to me! I suspect this will probably be the easiest day during the next 30-40 days. I'm pretty sure I overate at dinner because the food was just so delicious! #sorrynotsorry.  Another thing that tastes great, and that you all may like is club soda with a bit of freshly squeezed lemon juice and blood orange juice. So refreshing! 

Yes! Sparkling water is my go to!! Discovered it my first whole 30 and it never left me. 

1 hour ago, corduroy said:

If you try any good crockpot recipes, do you mind sharing? I have to do crockpot breakfast on Sundays as we leave home super early for ski school, and a couple of weekday dinners are usually crockpot too as we are always on a tight schedule. My kids and husband are not picky eaters so they will be doing this with me unknowingly... Is anybody doing it for chronic injuries? I have a bad ankle from a climbing accident and want to see if this helps... Also, I feel like there is a lot more protein and fat than I would normally eat... Anybody feeling the same? Except for that (and for the no cheat and no recreating meals), this is quite close to how we normally eat... (on a good day at least... haha) I want to give it a try and see what happens...

Do you own the book? I love the pork carnitas recipe in there. Served over a baked sweet potato. 

Day 1 done! Hooray! I was super crabby today.... I discovered I'm a major carb- o- holic as I wanted crackers or pasta or something and I was so crabby when I told myself no.  Slightly disappointed with dinner tonight... bison burgers,  too fatty for my taste... oh well.  Onward!

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 1 went very well! I was tried around the afternoon but only due to the fact that I went to bed extremely late to wake up 4 hours later, my goal is to hopefully get to bed early to have at least a decent amount of energy through out the day. I noticed that I only wanted to have “junk” when giving my kids their snacks (I.e chocolate cookies, which my daughter loves) but I didn’t have any and surprisinging I ate all three meals today and didn’t feel hungry in between. I wasn’t at work today so I’m looking forward to seeing how I do at work tomorrow. Hope everyone had a great day and even a better one tomorrow:)

@corduroy When I started my first W30, I felt the same - that it was much more protein and fat than I was used to.  My first round (in which I only made it half way through) I tried to adjust it a bit - going to my old "diet" habits of trying to restrict calories etc.  My second attempt (which technically I am still on), I have decided to really trust the process and stick to the meal plan - although there were some days where I doubted it, I stuck with it and I am SO glad I did.  For the first time EVER, I am able to make it from breakfast to lunch without snacking AND I am getting home from work with less of a desire to just snack (a bad habit I've had since being a teenager).  My advice - is to follow the template for now - you have 30 days to decide whether or not it works for you.

For breakfast yesterday and today, I had leftover taco soup (http://themovementmenu.com/recipes/easy-whole30-taco-soup/), topped with avocado (@corduroy this can be made in the crock-pot); lunch yesterday I had leftover "enchiladas" (http://40aprons.com/whole30-enchiladas/) - these took some time to make, but OH BOY was it worth it, so delicious!!.  Dinner last night, and lunch today, was/will be "Bad A$$ Bowls" from the "Performance Paleo Cookbook" and I think for dinner tonight, I will be doing chicken larb served with roasted vegetables, and a homemade mayo based dressing/dip for my fat.

Overall, my plan for this week is to use leftover soup (made a big batch on Sunday) for breakfast, use leftovers for lunch, and then use a different recipe/meal for dinner each night.  

@Ckjos your meals sound delicious!

@KA11 nice work, jumping in a day early! I have also had to deal with some extra stress at work, and I agree - it was so much easier to just rely on snacking/food to get through, definitely something I am trying to focus on as well!

Good luck everyone on day 2!

Hi everyone! Day two wasn't too bad! I was a little tired today, but otherwise didn't have any of the 'hangover' symptoms I read about in the book (maybe that will happen tomorrow...but I sure hope not!). I still have cravings for sweet things and found out my favorite tea (licorice yogi tea) has vanilla extract in it, so it's out for the next 30+ days. But I guess I'm happy about the excuse to try new teas! :) I feel like the hardest adjustment for me so far is the amount of time that goes into whole30 food prep. I don't particularly enjoy cooking, so this is a bit of a learning curve. But I do enjoy all of the fresh meals! 

I hope you all are having a great second day! 

@ErikaA Yum, the taco soup recipe sounds amazing! I made beef bone broth yesterday/today and was trying to decide how I want to use it. I think that soup would be perfect! Thanks for sharing! :)

21 hours ago, april_espi said:

Same here! As someone who calls herself a "grazer," snacking is what I do. I hardly snacked at all today and it felt awesome. 

Yes, I'm amazed that I don't miss snacking.  Now I don't feel like I'm constantly eating a little here and there without even thinking about it. Now I'm actually making a conscious choice about what to eat - kind of a new concept. 

Hello!

I am on day two now, and I can say that I am surviving! 

I had steamed vegetables (kale, spinach, and broccoli) with olive oil, salt & pepper and hamburg for dinner last night. I am not finding it hard to eat the right things; however, I can say that I am not prepared enough to "make meals" and salad and pan fried meat is going to get old... FAST. 

DAY TWO FAIL!

I typed the above comment and then mindlessly put ONE SINGLE GOLDFISH into my mouth. I get the feeling it's not compliant ;) Tomorrow is day one! 

2 hours ago, Tmackeil said:

Hello!

I had steamed vegetables (kale, spinach, and broccoli) with olive oil, salt & pepper and hamburg for dinner last night. I am not finding it hard to eat the right things; however, I can say that I am not prepared enough to "make meals" and salad and pan fried meat is going to get old... FAST. 

DAY TWO FAIL!

I typed the above comment and then mindlessly put ONE SINGLE GOLDFISH into my mouth. I get the feeling it's not compliant ;) Tomorrow is day one! 

Oh no! Good for you for owning up to it! Maybe these first two days can serve as a primer for what to expect.... I use the end of the week to meal plan, and the weekend to grocery shop and cook as much as i can that's a bit more complicated for later in the week and make sure I have what i need the day before to make the next day flow easily.  It's a lot of work and preparation but it does become second nature around day 9 or 10.

7 hours ago, Ckjos said:

Hi everyone! Day two wasn't too bad! I was a little tired today, but otherwise didn't have any of the 'hangover' symptoms I read about in the book (maybe that will happen tomorrow...but I sure hope not!). I still have cravings for sweet things and found out my favorite tea (licorice yogi tea) has vanilla extract in it, so it's out for the next 30+ days. But I guess I'm happy about the excuse to try new teas! :) 
@ErikaA

I was so clumsy today! Mentally clumsy and physically clumsy! Hoping that passes soon.  I need to find an "indulgent drink" too! My first whole 30, I discovered sparkling water  with a squeeze of lemon or lime, but that became standard for me! So I need something new. Let me know what you find.

hard boiled eggs, sweet potatoes and guac for breakfast,  salmon cakes and steamed veggies for lunch and pulled pork carnitas for dinner.  Yum yum yum yum! Rough day at work,  though.  Someone brought in york peppermint patties.... ugh..... I quickly ate my lunch and left the room.  Yay! But it was sooooooo tempting. 

Two days down! Only four short weeks left. 

15 hours ago, Tmackeil said:

Hello!

DAY TWO FAIL!

Yea doing all the meal prep is a lot of work but it's a necessary part of the process. What I've been doing is, putting on some good music or a podcast, make myself some flavored (with fruit) club soda, and make it as "fun" as possible. lol

This is my FIRST Whole30 and my daughter is who got me onboard.  I'm on Day 3 and don't feel like I'm suffering too badly, which is almost alarming to be honest because my daughter seemed to have a tough first few days and I feel like she's healthier than I am usually. 

I am super excited to be doing this as I'm HOPING it may even motivate my husband to do it as well, but I'm not holding my breath.  He's a little pickier than I am.

Here's to 3 down, 27 to go!  :)

29 minutes ago, UnsweetenedTami said:

I'm on Day 3 and don't feel like I'm suffering too badly, which is almost alarming to be honest

It's my first Whole30 too! I've been feeling just fine which is also a surprise to me. Makes me nervous about what's to come in just a few days.

On 2/5/2018 at 6:23 PM, corduroy said:

Is anybody doing it for chronic injuries? I have a bad ankle from a climbing accident and want to see if this helps... 

My first whole 30 drastically improved my bad ankle (bad sprain from indoor volleyball long ago and severe arthritis) - it had gotten to the point where I couldn't run on it - now, I did so as recently as after work yesterday.  One of the better NSV's I experienced from doing the Whole 30...

Hi everyone! Day three was good and bad. I had a great night's sleep (unfortunately not ten hours - that sounds great @april_espi!) and felt great this morning. But I work as a preschool teacher and I noticed I was less patient with my kiddos than I usually am. :( I also had some stomach issues today and I don't know if it was because of an all around change in diet, or if I maybe ate something a little off.

This evening I was still hungry after dinner and I ended up snacking on a few pistachios. :( I read they are allowed, but you aren't supposed to eat them often, so I am going to have my boyfriend hide them with the rest of my off-limit food. Tomorrow I am going to plan a more filling dinner and eat a little later so that I don't feel hungry and want to snack in the evening. 

1/10th of the way through! :D

5 minutes ago, Ckjos said:

Hi everyone! Day three was good and bad. I had a great night's sleep (unfortunately not ten hours - that sounds great @april_espi!) and felt great this morning. But I work as a preschool teacher and I noticed I was less patient with my kiddos than I usually am. :( I also had some stomach issues today and I don't know if it was because of an all around change in diet, or if I maybe ate something a little off.

This evening I was still hungry after dinner and I ended up snacking on a few pistachios. :( I read they are allowed, but you aren't supposed to eat them often, so I am going to have my boyfriend hide them with the rest of my off-limit food. Tomorrow I am going to plan a more filling dinner and eat a little later so that I don't feel hungry and want to snack in the evening. 

1/10th of the way through! :D

Hey, I like your thinking of 1/10th of the way through! Make sure you're getting enough fat and starchy vegetable at each meal. This really helps with keeping you full! I have been very cranky and it is totally normal. There's a post somewhere on this site about the different phases you can expect to go through and we are nearing the "kill all the things" phase! Should pass in a couple days. Good for you for keeping with it!

17 hours ago, KalinaM said:

I was so clumsy today! Mentally clumsy and physically clumsy! Hoping that passes soon.  I need to find an "indulgent drink" too! My first whole 30, I discovered sparkling water  with a squeeze of lemon or lime, but that became standard for me! So I need something new. Let me know what you find.

I had some sparkling water tonight and I put a drop of grapefruit and lime essential oil in (I was too lazy to squeeze real fruit juice today ;) ). It was delicious and refreshing! Thanks for the tip! I have been bringing green tea back into my morning mix, fennel or peppermint tea in the afternoon and "Bedtime" Yogi tea in the evening. 

Also, I'm sorry to hear about the goldfish! But kudos on your honesty! We'll be rooting for you the second time around too! 

2 hours ago, UnsweetenedTami said:

" I'm on Day 3 and don't feel like I'm suffering too badly, which is almost alarming to be honest"

I feel like I am in the same boat! Technically I am also on Day 3, and I don't feel too bad. It's more annoying than anything that I can't just shove food into my face and that I actually have to think about it. That's the whole point right? 

I'm glad it's going well for you!!

On 2/5/2018 at 8:47 PM, Charlene33 said:

I actually tried to start on February 1, and things were going great, but then on day  4  I noticed that my vitamin D and calcium pills have maltodextrin and cornstarch. I have been looking online to try to find ones that are compliant. For now I stopped taking them but my vitamin D levels are really low and that's not something you get from food, and since it is February and no vitamin D from sun, I don't think it's a great idea to go a month without them. So I'll keep looking to find some that are okay. So I guess I am starting on Feb. 5th, too. But I feel better thinking about it as being on day 5 and I will do 34 days total:)  I have noticed that I am appreciating my food a lot more instead of mindlessly eating - things taste so much more flavorful and delicious! 

Have you found any compliant supplements yet? I know vitamin D should be pretty easy if you get the drops. I work in a health food store and all of our D drops are just straight vitamin D3 plus the oil they are in, which is usually MCT oil, coconut oil, or olive oil.

Calcium is a bit harder. Were you taking it just by itself or with other things in it, like magnesium?

Hey All!

Just wanted to join the conversation and say hi! It's my first Whole 30 and I started on February 5th like most of us here. :)  Day #3! Happy someone started a thread for us, thank you! :) Wasn't sure if there would be one, I figured the majority of Whole 30ers would be in January, so nice to find this group. It's probably smaller too!

I was just noticing I haven't gotten any pounding headaches since starting, but about 15 mins ago I started to get one. Will keep drinking more water. I had cut out most of my sugar prior to starting for the previous 3 weeks, but still allowed minor indulgences and wasn't a crazy label reader on things like kombucha and some of the boxed bone broths, so I'm sure this will still be an adjustment! I also allowed myself stevia sweetened protein powders and flavouring for my coffee prior to this Whole 30. I have been experiencing cravings, mostly at night. Anyone else have this? I've been having a bowl of coconut cream with blueberries, bananas, and almond butter at night after dinner, but think I may have to stop this as I can see myself craving this and it would go against the spirit of quieting the sugar dragon. 

A couple learning moments for me:

Made the citrus orange glazed halibut last night. As I was making it I realized it called for apple cider and NOT apple cider vinegar. So I tried to improvise with ACV and unsweetened applesauce, but to no avail...it was bitter and gross. I think too much ACV or maybe I grated the pith of the lemon zest but it didn't work! Washed off the glaze and fried the fish a little longer. Fish was still edible, but not great. Daughter didn't like the cauliflower mash with it. :( She's 2.5. anyone else cooking for kids? My partner and daughter are not doing the Whole 30 with me- dad isn't on board and if he's eating foods she used to eat, she won't understand. But I told him that supper is what I cook! I just hope I can find a few things my daughter likes. So far avocados and eggs are the favourites. 

Also I messed the Mayo up. As I was adding the olive oil I saw the note about using light olive oil, not EVOO. Oops. So ended up with some pretty strong tasting mayo. I added paprika and garlic and it's more palatable, but I know for next time. #whole30lessons!

1 hour ago, eriefairy said:

Have you found any compliant supplements yet? I know vitamin D should be pretty easy if you get the drops. I work in a health food store and all of our D drops are just straight vitamin D3 plus the oil they are in, which is usually MCT oil, coconut oil, or olive oil.

Calcium is a bit harder. Were you taking it just by itself or with other things in it, like magnesium?

I bought some online. The brand is Rainbow Light and it is calcium, magnesium, and D combined. Before I was taking just D and calcium separately, but this is all I could find. That's good to know about the D drops. I think I need to go to a health food store - it's just that there aren't any close to me so it was easier to order online

On 2/6/2018 at 7:28 PM, Tmackeil said:

Hello!

DAY TWO FAIL!

Oh no :(  I keep worrying that I'm going to do that. At least it was only day 2, right? 

Archived