February 5, 2018 Accountability Buddies

KalinaM

On 2/5/2018 at 9:23 PM, corduroy said:

If you try any good crockpot recipes, do you mind sharing? I have to do crockpot breakfast on Sundays as we leave home super early for ski school, and a couple of weekday dinners are usually crockpot too as we are always on a tight schedule. My kids and husband are not picky eaters so they will be doing this with me unknowingly... Is anybody doing it for chronic injuries? I have a bad ankle from a climbing accident and want to see if this helps... Also, I feel like there is a lot more protein and fat than I would normally eat... Anybody feeling the same? Except for that (and for the no cheat and no recreating meals), this is quite close to how we normally eat... (on a good day at least... haha) I want to give it a try and see what happens...

Yes, I know I am eating more protein and fat than normal, and that worries me a bit - especially the amount of fat. I'm eating more at meals but not snacking so hopefully it will even out. 

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Charlene33 said:

Oh no :(  I keep worrying that I'm going to do that. At least it was only day 2, right? 

Yes! thank goodness! I am not feeling horribly discouraged about it, in fact, I just moved on with my day and pretended it didn't happen. I ate like I would have anyway that night :) I'm just doing the Whole33 now! :) 

I made chicken chili Verde for supper. It was delicious!! Served with lettuce leaf "shells" fresh cilantro,  a twist of lime and guacamole! This one will be repeated. I'm already feeling less fuzzy brained when waking up day 3 done!!! I'll come  back and reply to individuals in the morning. Good work, everyone!

Hi Guys! Hope everyone is doing well:)I’m turning in for for day 3, so far I’m doing well. The 1st and 2nd day I did experience a headache all day but I didn’t take nothing. Today I woke up feel like I had the best sleep in weeks. I slept for about 7 hours which is probably the best I can get, although I’m hoping to be able to get some more rest but it’s always a little hard. Since my husband is doing W30 with me making meals and prepping has been good so far, I only noticed as I was preparing my kids meals (not doing W30) that I was so accustomed to tasting their food that I almost ate something that I shouldn’t but I stopped myself before making a mistake, instead I asked my son to taste it and let me know if he wanted me to add anything else. I was not as tired as I was yesterday and I hope these next few days get better. The meals have all been pretty good I used both W30 cookbooks and some recipes from real plans which I subscribed too. I’m already planning for next weeks meals so I can get my shopping done before the end of the week. 

4 hours ago, eriefairy said:

Also I messed the Mayo up. As I was adding the olive oil I saw the note about using light olive oil, not EVOO. Oops. So ended up with some pretty strong tasting mayo. I added paprika and garlic and it's more palatable, but I know for next time. #whole30lessons!

Haha I did the same thing! Luckily, you end up going through that stuff pretty quick when making other dressings. A little extra lemon and seasonings made it a lot better. :)

13 hours ago, Charlene33 said:

Yes, I know I am eating more protein and fat than normal, and that worries me a bit - especially the amount of fat. I'm eating more at meals but not snacking so hopefully it will even out. 

I wouldnt worry guys!! This is actually the way nature intended for us to eat. Prior to this I was playing around with a modified Keto diet and felt so good fueling on fat. This is still a lot less fat than keto. If you have gallbladder issues or problems digesting fats, it's helpful to look into digestive enzymes with ox bile but your body does adapt. Fats like coconut oil, avocados, olives, nuts and seeds, etc shouldn't bother you. And remember in terms of the protein, you only need palm sized portions of meat with each meal. The rest should be veggies. The Whole30 actually falls into the lower end of the American dietary recommendations for protein.

If you're having problems just ease into it with the animal fat. Our bodies actually run far better when fueled on fat rather than glucose. The brain prefers fat! So give this the month, don't worry too much, and see how much better you feel! Science is now uncovering that healthy dietary fat has nothing to do with cardiovascular disease or cholesterol; in fact, it actually raises our good cholesterol (HDL) and lowers triglycerides. Excess insulin and glucose in the body is what does the real damage.

10 hours ago, april_espi said:

Haha I did the same thing! Luckily, you end up going through that stuff pretty quick when making other dressings. A little extra lemon and seasonings made it a lot better. :)

Ahahaha glad I'm not the only one!!

Yes I found with some extra garlic, lemon, and paprika it's palatable! Now we know for next time! ;)

I also started on 2/1, but had fried food on Superbowl Sunday so reset on 2/5.  I'm doing well.  Breakfast is a challenge.  I really want a warm bowl of oatmeal. I usually work out 5 days a week but I'm finding that some days I just do not have the energy.  Other days, I'm fine.  Overall, I am feeling better.  Looking for that happy medium where I can get back to exercising 5 days a week.  I think that helps me not focus on food.  Anyone has a breakfast smoothie recipe that is Whole30 compliant?

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, Linlejack said:

Anyone has a breakfast smoothie recipe that is Whole30 compliant?

Morning! Any smoothie that does not contain non-compliant ingredients would be fine. HOWEVER, please note that smoothies are HIGHLY DISCOURAGED. Read below for further info:

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

@eriefairy if you mix your strong mayo with something else to make dips, you won’t notice..we love the avocado mayo (Though for time sake, I buy fresh in house made guacamole at my local grocery store.  Only ingredients are avocado, onion, pepper, tomato and cilantro...gives it a little more kick than just avocados).  We also LOVE the creamy roasted red pepper one. It’s awesone for dipping perfectly seared chicken breasts and roasted veggies. And if you are looking for kid friendly recipes, both are good with these

https://www.jaysbakingmecrazy.com/2016/01/21/paleo-whole30-chicken-tenders/

sounds more labor intensive than it is, and very family friendly

On 2/7/2018 at 8:12 PM, Charlene33 said:

I remember being boggled at how much fat and protein I was consuming my first whole30. I read somewhere that we NEED more fat than the  low fat diet trends have let us to believe. Healthy fats, of course. It's a mind set.

On 2/7/2018 at 6:57 PM, eriefairy said:

Hey All!

Just wanted to join the conversation and say hi! It's my first Whole 30 and I started on February 5th like most of us here. :)  Day #3! Happy someone started a thread for us, thank you! :) Wasn't sure if there would be one, I figured the majority of Whole 30ers would be in January, so nice to find this group. It's probably smaller too!

I was just noticing I haven't gotten any pounding headaches since starting, but about 15 mins ago I started to get one. Will keep drinking more water. I had cut out most of my sugar prior to starting for the previous 3 weeks, but still allowed minor indulgences and wasn't a crazy label reader on things like kombucha and some of the boxed bone broths, so I'm sure this will still be an adjustment! I also allowed myself stevia sweetened protein powders and flavouring for my coffee prior to this Whole 30. I have been experiencing cravings, mostly at night. Anyone else have this? I've been having a bowl of coconut cream with blueberries, bananas, and almond butter at night after dinner, but think I may have to stop this as I can see myself craving this and it would go against the spirit of quieting the sugar dragon. 

A couple learning moments for me:

Made the citrus orange glazed halibut last night. As I was making it I realized it called for apple cider and NOT apple cider vinegar. So I tried to improvise with ACV and unsweetened applesauce, but to no avail...it was bitter and gross. I think too much ACV or maybe I grated the pith of the lemon zest but it didn't work! Washed off the glaze and fried the fish a little longer. Fish was still edible, but not great. Daughter didn't like the cauliflower mash with it. :( She's 2.5. anyone else cooking for kids? My partner and daughter are not doing the Whole 30 with me- dad isn't on board and if he's eating foods she used to eat, she won't understand. But I told him that supper is what I cook! I just hope I can find a few things my daughter likes. So far avocados and eggs are the favourites. 

Also I messed the Mayo up. As I was adding the olive oil I saw the note about using light olive oil, not EVOO. Oops. So ended up with some pretty strong tasting mayo. I added paprika and garlic and it's more palatable, but I know for next time. #whole30lessons!

Welcome to the group! I will not ever do a January whole30, too many birthdays in my family! Both of my rounds have had February starts. I also never got a headache, but just really fatigued. The light tasting olive oil is soooooooooooo yummy for the mayo!! Seriously, I could eat it by the spoonful. 

10 hours ago, Linlejack said:

I also started on 2/1, but had fried food on Superbowl Sunday so reset on 2/5.  I'm doing well.  Breakfast is a challenge.  I really want a warm bowl of oatmeal. I usually work out 5 days a week but I'm finding that some days I just do not have the energy.  Other days, I'm fine.  Overall, I am feeling better.  Looking for that happy medium where I can get back to exercising 5 days a week.  I think that helps me not focus on food.  Anyone has a breakfast smoothie recipe that is Whole30 compliant?

You'll get your energy back! Your body just needs to adjust to it's new fuel. I remember it happened to me my first round and I'm very tired right now in round 2 but this time I know it's temporary!

8 hours ago, Mountain Girl said:

@eriefairy if you mix your strong mayo with something else to make dips, you won’t notice..we love the avocado mayo (Though for time sake, I buy fresh in house made guacamole at my local grocery store.  Only ingredients are avocado, onion, pepper, tomato and cilantro...gives it a little more kick than just avocados).  We also LOVE the creamy roasted red pepper one. It’s awesone for dipping perfectly seared chicken breasts and roasted veggies. And if you are looking for kid friendly recipes, both are good with these

YES!!! The roasted red pepper mayo is to die for!!!!! So good. I serve it over chicken, fish and veggies..... I think it's on my meal plan for Saturday. Oh now I'm excited for it!!

3 hours ago, killerkat89 said:

Hey y'all i also started my First whole 30 5Feb!!!! 

Welcome!

As for me-- day 4 complete! I was so incredibly tired, although that was probably my toddler's fault, not whole30. He woke up at 5 am! Hooray.... which meant only 5.5 hours of sleep for mommy. He usually wakes up at 7 am, but is starting to transition from 2 naps to 1 nap, so if he takes a second nap, I run the risk of an early wake up the next day. Also, my tummy was a little upset today and I think it's because I opted to include a jalapeno in a recipe that said it was optional.... and I think the heat of it upset my guts. That or they're still healing from eating pre whole 30 foods. Either way, hope it goes away soon-- meal prep tonight was super easy! Just had to hard boil some eggs, make a salad and portion out dressing, which I had already made on Sunday. Off to bed now, I need to make up for last night!

Day 4, I completed with success, although I was exhausted by the time I left work.  I went home and my husband and I prepared the skillet Rosemary Pork Chops with Potatoes and Onions from the W30 cookbook and it was pretty delicious! By the time I went to bed I was so done, I couldn't even stay awake to write down my thoughts in my 30 day W30 log book. I'm still having a hard time getting up earlier, but my sleep has definitely been getting better.  I hope next week I will get some more energy! This weekend I hope to prepare more food so that I will have less cooking throughout the week.

The first 4 days have gone fairly well. Today, I am definitely struggling with cravings. I want all the bad things. I will not cave though!! I am committed to seeing this through.  But, I am rethinking my dinner choice for tonight and feel like I may need to eat something a little heartier than the tilapia I was planning on.  I see a steak in my future. LOl!  I'm also having a terrible time focusing at work today.   Our sleep schedule has been off the last few days because my dog had surgery and he's completely off schedule, so that is not helping.   Few more days and he should be back to normal and hopefully I'll be back to sleeping normal.   Hope everything is staying strong!! 

Hi everyone! I just found this thread, but I too started a Whole30 on Feb 5 and would love to get in on this! This is my fourth round of Whole30, and I am shocked to find that it is my hardest one yet... The cravings are SO REAL this time. Each round got easier until this one, which is harder than my first even was (Jan 2017). Looking to stay accountable and motivated by joining in on this! So far so good, but I am anticipating the next week to be a bit gruelling.

PS anyone have some go-to breakfasts (egg free of course)? I'm sure I'm going to get sick of Harvest Bowls and Salmon Cakes soon (both of which are delicious btw!)

On 2/7/2018 at 8:17 PM, KalinaM said:

I made chicken chili Verde for supper. It was delicious!! Served with lettuce leaf "shells" fresh cilantro,  a twist of lime and guacamole! This one will be repeated. I'm already feeling less fuzzy brained when waking up day 3 done!!! I'll come  back and reply to individuals in the morning. Good work, everyone!

This sounds delicious - where did you find the recipe?

23 hours ago, Mountain Girl said:

Mmm sounds delicious, I actually didn't mind the strong extra virgin mayo once I added some paprika and garlic but I have a ton so will try making the roasted red pepper mayo tonight. Yum!  Will try those chicken tenders soon, thank you for the link! :)

15 hours ago, KalinaM said:

Welcome to the group! I will not ever do a January whole30, too many birthdays in my family! Both of my rounds have had February starts. I also never got a headache, but just really fatigued. The light tasting olive oil is soooooooooooo yummy for the mayo!! Seriously, I could eat it by the spoonful. 

Yes even with the extra virgin olive oil I still like it, so I can't even imagine what the light would taste like!! Like the book says, it's the new cake batter! I'm also very fatigued today. Haven't felt like killing all the things, mostly cravings and tiredness.

14 hours ago, april_espi said:

Day 4 is just about done! No 3pm slump and no brain fog/irritability/wild cravings. Something must be wrong, right?

Maybe you are fortunate enough to not have the "whole 30 flu" some of us experience. Lucky you! I wouldn't stress, we are all different in how we respond. As for me...I'm definitely feeling it today. :(

1 hour ago, milonac said:

The first 4 days have gone fairly well. Today, I am definitely struggling with cravings. I want all the bad things. I will not cave though!! I am committed to seeing this through.  But, I am rethinking my dinner choice for tonight and feel like I may need to eat something a little heartier than the tilapia I was planning on.  I see a steak in my future. LOl!  I'm also having a terrible time focusing at work today.   Our sleep schedule has been off the last few days because my dog had surgery and he's completely off schedule, so that is not helping.   Few more days and he should be back to normal and hopefully I'll be back to sleeping normal.   Hope everything is staying strong!! 

I so feel you on the cravings and fatigue!! Even at the health food store I'm at, there are all these yummy protein bars and cookies calling my name. Will not give in. We can do this! Just keep remembering the desired outcome.

Archived