February 5, 2018 Accountability Buddies

KalinaM

25 minutes ago, kayten said:

Hi everyone! I just found this thread, but I too started a Whole30 on Feb 5 and would love to get in on this! This is my fourth round of Whole30, and I am shocked to find that it is my hardest one yet... The cravings are SO REAL this time. Each round got easier until this one, which is harder than my first even was (Jan 2017). Looking to stay accountable and motivated by joining in on this! So far so good, but I am anticipating the next week to be a bit gruelling.

PS anyone have some go-to breakfasts (egg free of course)? I'm sure I'm going to get sick of Harvest Bowls and Salmon Cakes soon (both of which are delicious btw!)

Welcome! Can you not eat eggs or are you avoiding them for personal health reasons? Or you just want egg free ideas?

This week, I have found just having leftovers for breakfast, like I had butternut squash soup with a fried egg one day (you could do it with another protein source, like chicken), leftover roasted veggies with mayo and pot roast etc has made mornings super easy and I'm not sick of eggs yet at all.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all, happy Day #5! So far I'm finding this the hardest day. I'm gearing up to go into work this afternoon and all I want to do is sit and do nothing. Tried some yoga, but my head feels heavy and I feel off balance. Maybe I'm fighting something because I woke up with a bit of a sore throat.

I made a spinach frittata this morning with tons of other veggies. It was delicious but I'm definitely craving sweet still. I really miss my Hazelnut stevia in my coffee! Lunch today will be leftovers as will dinner as I needed a day off from hours in the kitchen! Already spent all morning cleaning it. I'll probably finish my butternut squash soup and pot roast, and then for dinner I will have leftover pineapple turkey curry from last night, which I kind of threw together myself (my first personal Whole 30 Creation) and was DELICIOUS might I add! 

Not wanting to kill all the things, but definitely having the fatigue they talk about. Digestion and my regularity are awesome though!! 

How are you guys finding Day #5?

This is day 6 for me because I got a wild hair and decided to start Sunday instead of the already planned Monday.  So far it has been pretty good.  I had a headache the first few days and some crabbiness - but I think some of that is because I don't drink enough water - something that I am working on.  

The only day that was kind of a screw-up was Wednesday.  I just couldn't bring myself to eat a template breakfast so I just had a cut-up red pepper.  Not good, I know.  I will have to do better.  

Breakfast today was left over stir fry with chicken, cabbage, jalapeno and coconut aminos.  lunch was tuna fish, carrots cooked in ghee and an applesauce.  Dinner will be hamburger with salsa (Kroger brand - compliant) and some kind of vegetable.  Maybe a sweet potato or some cauliflower rice.  I just love the vegetables like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower .

I think I am going to run into a problem next weekend.  I am going to visit my daughter and her boyfriend in college.  She has some recipes she just loves and I think we can make them more compliant for me (taco stuffed peppers for one - she can leave the cheese off of mine).  But I still think I will end up having something that isn't in the plan.  I con't really micromanage her cooking.  And the kids love to go out for breakfast.  If I have a veggie omelet and some hash browns it will be good but will probably still have some dairy snuck in.  I think my plan is to follow as closely as I can and restart in earnest on Monday when I get back. 

On 2/7/2018 at 8:17 PM, KalinaM said:

I made chicken chili Verde for supper. It was delicious!! Served with lettuce leaf "shells" fresh cilantro,  a twist of lime and guacamole! This one will be repeated. I'm already feeling less fuzzy brained when waking up day 3 done!!! I'll come  back and reply to individuals in the morning. Good work, everyone!

This sounds delicious, did you follow a recipe for the chicken?  How did you make it?

3 hours ago, milonac said:

The first 4 days have gone fairly well. Today, I am definitely struggling with cravings. I want all the bad things. I will not cave though!! I am committed to seeing this through.  But, I am rethinking my dinner choice for tonight and feel like I may need to eat something a little heartier than the tilapia I was planning on.  I see a steak in my future. LOl!  I'm also having a terrible time focusing at work today.   Our sleep schedule has been off the last few days because my dog had surgery and he's completely off schedule, so that is not helping.   Few more days and he should be back to normal and hopefully I'll be back to sleeping normal.   Hope everything is staying strong!! 

Stay strong!  The cravings will get easier!!  For the days I struggle with cravings, I find it's a combination of maybe not drinking enough water, or needing to add a starchier vegetable to my meals - maybe that will help.  Definitely can't go wrong with steak though, YUM!!!  

PS. Sorry to hear about your dog, I hope he's doing okay!  

1 hour ago, kayten said:

Hi everyone! I just found this thread, but I too started a Whole30 on Feb 5 and would love to get in on this! This is my fourth round of Whole30, and I am shocked to find that it is my hardest one yet... The cravings are SO REAL this time. Each round got easier until this one, which is harder than my first even was (Jan 2017). Looking to stay accountable and motivated by joining in on this! So far so good, but I am anticipating the next week to be a bit gruelling.

PS anyone have some go-to breakfasts (egg free of course)? I'm sure I'm going to get sick of Harvest Bowls and Salmon Cakes soon (both of which are delicious btw!)

My favorite breakfast has been the homemade chicken sausage (W30 book) served with mixed greens topped with either veggies/olives OR mixed greens and veggie salad topped with a 1/2 orange and coconut flakes.

On 2/8/2018 at 9:39 AM, eriefairy said:

I wouldnt worry guys!! This is actually the way nature intended for us to eat. Prior to this I was playing around with a modified Keto diet and felt so good fueling on fat. This is still a lot less fat than keto. If you have gallbladder issues or problems digesting fats, it's helpful to look into digestive enzymes with ox bile but your body does adapt. Fats like coconut oil, avocados, olives, nuts and seeds, etc shouldn't bother you. And remember in terms of the protein, you only need palm sized portions of meat with each meal. The rest should be veggies. The Whole30 actually falls into the lower end of the American dietary recommendations for protein.

If you're having problems just ease into it with the animal fat. Our bodies actually run far better when fueled on fat rather than glucose. The brain prefers fat! So give this the month, don't worry too much, and see how much better you feel! Science is now uncovering that healthy dietary fat has nothing to do with cardiovascular disease or cholesterol; in fact, it actually raises our good cholesterol (HDL) and lowers triglycerides. Excess insulin and glucose in the body is what does the real damage.

Yeah, it's just hard to wrap my head around that when I've been conditioned for so long to avoid fat :)

Accidental cheat! Do I need to start from 0? Not sure if it is a coincidence, but feeling very bloated too! I went to a burger place  that has patties that are 100% beef, nothing added... Ordered one and a compliant side salad with the idea I would remove the bread. I did but left the lettuce and tomatoes and  took 2 big bites before I realized there was cheese in it! I had said no cheese when I ordered so I did not check for the cheese...:(

3 minutes ago, corduroy said:

Accidental cheat! Do I need to start from 0? Not sure if it is a coincidence, but feeling very bloated too! I went to a burger place  that has patties that are 100% beef, nothing added... Ordered one and a compliant side salad with the idea I would remove the bread. I did but left the lettuce and tomatoes and  took 2 big bites before I realized there was cheese in it! I had said no cheese when I ordered so I did not check for the cheese...:(

Eek!! How horrible..... I'm sorry to say that yes, it is my understanding that tomorrow should be day 1 for you again. Restaurant eating is so tough!!! I've found breakfast out to be pretty much impossible as every place uses soybean oil on their grills.... so frustrating.

6 hours ago, ErikaA said:

My favorite breakfast has been the homemade chicken sausage (W30 book) served with mixed greens topped with either veggies/olives OR mixed greens and veggie salad topped with a 1/2 orange and coconut flakes.

I usually have leftover dinner from the night before for breakfast if I'm not having eggs.

9 hours ago, milonac said:

The first 4 days have gone fairly well. Today, I am definitely struggling with cravings. I want all the bad things. I will not cave though!! I am committed to seeing this through.  But, I am rethinking my dinner choice for tonight and feel like I may need to eat something a little heartier than the tilapia I was planning on.  I see a steak in my future. LOl!  I'm also having a terrible time focusing at work today.   Our sleep schedule has been off the last few days because my dog had surgery and he's completely off schedule, so that is not helping.   Few more days and he should be back to normal and hopefully I'll be back to sleeping normal.   Hope everything is staying strong!! 

Did you do steak?? I did! We had the coffee rubbed steak and spiralized potatoes from the w30 fast and easy cookbook. SO GOOD!!

5 days done! We are 1/6th of the way through, guys! We can do it!!!! I'm crabby and tired, but my foggy brain is gone! That's impressive.

1 hour ago, corduroy said:

According to the rules, yes, dairy can disrupt the gut and requires the full 30 day elimination.  Bummer - eating out IS the most difficult part of a whole 30.  If it's any consolation, I had to restart my first W30 after 15 days due to not reading a few labels well enough.  I did complete it that time, and I am SO glad I did it right.  Restart, keep posting here and get the 5 day preview of what's happening - hopefully the good results will be an encouragement!

3 hours ago, Charlene33 said:

Yeah, it's just hard to wrap my head around that when I've been conditioned for so long to avoid fat :)

I totally hear you! For years and years, and still to some extent, low fat is touted as healthy. It will be convincing once you realize not only are you okay, but your body actually thrives this way. :)

On 2/8/2018 at 1:26 PM, Mountain Girl said:

@eriefairy if you mix your strong mayo with something else to make dips, you won’t notice..we love the avocado mayo (Though for time sake, I buy fresh in house made guacamole at my local grocery store.  Only ingredients are avocado, onion, pepper, tomato and cilantro...gives it a little more kick than just avocados).  We also LOVE the creamy roasted red pepper one. It’s awesone for dipping perfectly seared chicken breasts and roasted veggies. And if you are looking for kid friendly recipes, both are good with these

https://www.jaysbakingmecrazy.com/2016/01/21/paleo-whole30-chicken-tenders/

sounds more labor intensive than it is, and very family friendly

1 hour ago, KalinaM said:

Did you do steak?? I did! We had the coffee rubbed steak and spiralized potatoes from the w30 fast and easy cookbook. SO GOOD!!

5 days done! We are 1/6th of the way through, guys! We can do it!!!! I'm crabby and tired, but my foggy brain is gone! That's impressive.

Coffee rubbed steak?! Mmm that sounds delicious. Will have to try to find that recipe or grab the book. Steak tomorrow!

Hello! 

My fiancé and I are in our 2nd whole30. First one was May 2016, and we just started Feb 1st, so almost a 3rd of the way in! It's been easy, but already feels like we've been doing it forever! (Sadly walks past the ice cream aisle).  We get married in 2 months, doing some last minute trim down. Also, this is unrelated, but we're doing the Orange Theory HIIT workouts, and we love it. 

I joined here to find some buddies and recipes! We definitely find success in meal planning and creating fun sides/snacks, like cucumber/ACV. This time around, we're adding collagen supplements (using the brand Melissa approved).

Happy to see the posts and be a part of something great! Happy, healthy eating :)

Hi everyone! 

My boyfriend and I just got done meal planning for the week and I am really excited about trying out some new recipes. For some reason I am really craving gazpacho - can't wait to try the whole30 recipe for it! 

This may be TMI, so feel free to skip this part! But the past few days I had diarrhea and had to stay home from work (days 4 and 5). Has this happened to anyone else? That your digestive system freaks out for a few days?  I asked my doctor if she thought it had to do with whole30 and my change in eating habits, but she said she didn't think this would cause it. I do work as a preschool teacher, so there is a very good chance I caught something from the little ones. Just curious if this happened to anyone else. I stuck to whole30-safe foods while I was home! And luckily I had made some bone broth to keep me hydrated and give me nutrients! :)

Besides my stomach bug, I haven't really had headaches or other symptoms. I also don't crave junk food as much as I thought I would. But maybe that will all come. I love reading everyone's meal ideas! This is my first weekend on whole  30, so I am being sure to eat big meals before I go out with friends! 

Hope you all have a lovely weekend! 

11 hours ago, KalinaM said:

I usually have leftover dinner from the night before for breakfast if I'm not having eggs.

Yes, this is a good idea too!  My leftover dinners usually get used for lunch, but on days, i.e. the weekend, when I'll be home for lunch, then I will use leftovers for breakfast.  

My husband, who is not doing W30, has actually been giving me a hard time this week (all in good fun of course).  I used to love eggs for breakfast, but during the first 30 days, I noticed that they were starting to give me digestive issues so am trying to give them up for these 30 days (am planning on including these on a day of my reintroduction).  He can't believe I'm eating soup, chicken, etc. for breakfast, thinks it's the strangest thing! haha

13 hours ago, KalinaM said:

Eek!! How horrible..... I'm sorry to say that yes, it is my understanding that tomorrow should be day 1 for you again. Restaurant eating is so tough!!! I've found breakfast out to be pretty much impossible as every place uses soybean oil on their grills.... so frustrating.

Yea it happened to me too on day 3. I discovered my nuts contained vegetable oil. Instead of starting back at 0, it's mentally comforting to tell myself that I'm doing a Whole33 instead of a Whole30 :). 

Archived