February 5, 2018 Accountability Buddies

KalinaM

Day 7 I was out of town watching my hubby in tournament, but set my alarm early to do some yoga and pack compliant lunches for both of us, so that was great... But then we ended up changing our plans and stopping at the barn for me to ride my horse on the way back into town, as it was on the way and saved me 45 minutes of driving. I hadn't packed food for dinner, and we were both SO hungry on our way home. We stopped at a grocery store for a rotisserie to have a quick and easy dinner when we got home. I was white-knuckling it on the way home, and BARELY escaped the store without a bag of chips. But, we did it.

Day 8 is tough so far. Woke up this morning not feeling too great, per the Whole30 timeline, right on schedule... My digestive system currently hates me. I'm taking this one day at a time here, and am planning on possibly skipping my lunch time run and doing some stretching instead.

One thing I have found is that since Day 1, I am sleeping better than I have in months, every night. I'm a bad sleeper, and December/January were plagued with bouts of insomnia (the main reason I'm doing a February Whole30), so it is such a relief to be getting some quality zzz's. Major non-scale victory for me! 

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11.2.2018 at 4:47 PM, april_espi said:

ROLLCALL! Where's everyone from? Who knows, there may be another Whole30-er nearby!

Berlin, Germany

Finishing up day 8 over here. Today wasn't my best Whole30 day. I only ate whole30 foods, but I had a pretty big snack after work. For some reason I was starving. Now I ate dinner and I just feel too full and bloated. Lesson learned. 

I am nervous about tomorrow. In Germany they celebrate "Karnival," which is similar to Mardis Gras. I work at a preschool, so we'll all come in costume and (unfortunately for me) there will be sweets and party food everywhere. I packed enough food for tomorrow that I shouldn't be hungry/tempted to eat impulsively. But it's going to be rough. 

Have a great day 8!

44 minutes ago, ErikaA said:

Very exciting!!!!  I haven't met anyone on here from Canada!  

I'm in Edmonton.

So cool! I'm actually from Edmonton myself, have been in Calgary for work though - we're moving back in the spring :)

58 minutes ago, Ckjos said:

Berlin, Germany

Finishing up day 8 over here. Today wasn't my best Whole30 day. I only ate whole30 foods, but I had a pretty big snack after work. For some reason I was starving. Now I ate dinner and I just feel too full and bloated. Lesson learned. 

I am nervous about tomorrow. In Germany they celebrate "Karnival," which is similar to Mardis Gras. I work at a preschool, so we'll all come in costume and (unfortunately for me) there will be sweets and party food everywhere. I packed enough food for tomorrow that I shouldn't be hungry/tempted to eat impulsively. But it's going to be rough. 

Have a great day 8!

Sounds like you have a plan, you'll do great! I don't know if it's possible for you at work, but I always find it nice at parties to bring a fancy tea or kombucha to sip on - it keeps my hands full so I'm even less tempted to grab something I shouldn't :)

9 minutes ago, april_espi said:

What part? I was stationed in Oceanside, and grew up in LA!

I live in Pacific Beach, on the lower part of Mt Soledad.  Where in LA?  My last job had me traveling through LA and the OC a fair amount, so I know it pretty well.  Feel free to message me if you want to continue the dialog...

On 2/11/2018 at 12:49 PM, KA11 said:

That's totally a success!  It's cool that everyone is so supportive.  Happy birthday by the way!

I am going to visit my daughter next weekend and she is excited about making me taco stuffed peppers that she is going to revise to be whole30 (as she understands whole30).  I know she is not adding cheese to mine.  My concern is whether she is using packaged taco seasoning and if so, what's in it.  She is very into finding things I can eat though, so I think I will be fine.  

Thank you! 

Maybe you could tell your daughter that you have an amazing homemade taco seasoning that you will bring along? I'm finding it hard to trust other people's cooking. 

23 hours ago, Mountain Girl said:

ROLL CALL: Asheville, NC here  

@Charlene33 HAPPY BIRTHDAY! And, hey, I was in Raleigh this weekend (for the Carolina/N.C. State basketball game)

Yesterday was a delightfully slow Sunday here. Made this for brunch. Too time consuming for a weekday breakfast, but it was amazing on a rainy Sunday morning. And I can’t remember who doesn’t want eggs, but there are a few eggless servings as made. (I doubled it....and we had leftovers this morning. I just poached some more eggs for the top)

https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/bacon-burger-paleo-breakfast-bake-whole30/

Thank you! I'm actually about 40 minutes north of Raleigh in a very small town, but we go to Raleigh a lot on the weekends. 

On 2/11/2018 at 9:49 AM, KA11 said:

That's totally a success!  It's cool that everyone is so supportive.  Happy birthday by the way!

I am going to visit my daughter next weekend and she is excited about making me taco stuffed peppers that she is going to revise to be whole30 (as she understands whole30).  I know she is not adding cheese to mine.  My concern is whether she is using packaged taco seasoning and if so, what's in it.  She is very into finding things I can eat though, so I think I will be fine.  

Most taco seasoning packages have sugar in them.  McCormick Hot seasoning is sugar-free, but their regular one has sugar - if you're comfortable giving her that level of "help" :lol: 

Hello all! Started Feb. 5 as well, first time ever doing this.  It was a bit of a struggle getting through my first weekend in I don't know how long without WINE :) ...but in the end it was no biggie!  I haven't felt hungry at all, and have been AMAZED at how many delicious (and compliant) recipes can be found online - I've never home-cooked so consistently in my life before!  So far so good - fingers crossed I'll make it to the finish line (and beyond of course!) 

17 hours ago, april_espi said:

Aaahh...Germany. I studied abroad last year and I flew in and out of Munich. During my travels, I went to the Bavarian Alps and it was so amazing. I definitely need to go back!

Yes, Germany is a lovely country! I would definitely recommend visiting again! ;)

22 hours ago, kayten said:

Sounds like you have a plan, you'll do great! I don't know if it's possible for you at work, but I always find it nice at parties to bring a fancy tea or kombucha to sip on - it keeps my hands full so I'm even less tempted to grab something I shouldn't :)

The plan worked! I didn't give in to my sugar-dragon! It was very tempting though. Now to get through Valentines Day with out chocolate. ;)

Day 9: I feel like I have all the symptoms of days 6-11 right now. I'm exhausted and just want to sleep, my jeans are tight, and I'm tired of having to say no to all the things I'm naturally inclined to eat! I know doing whole30 is good for my body, but it's mentally challenging at the moment. However, I know this is just a phase and hopefully the tiger-blood will kick in soon! 

How are you all doing? We've almost made it through the hardest part of the program! We can do it! :)

17 hours ago, KalinaM said:

I am in full on "I'm so tired I just want to sleep mode." BUT, my toddler is in full teething mode, so sleep's not happening, mommy! UGH. I'm here. I'm hanging in there. Day 8 complete! Hooray..... that tiger blood can kick in anytime now!

I feel you! I don't have children of my own, but the ones at preschool wear me out too. ;) But we are almost 1/3 of the way through the program and it should be getting easier one of these days! But I agree, bring on the tiger blood! 

1 minute ago, Ckjos said:

The plan worked! I didn't give in to my sugar-dragon! It was very tempting though. Now to get through Valentines Day with out chocolate. ;)

Day 9: I feel like I have all the symptoms of days 6-11 right now. I'm exhausted and just want to sleep, my jeans are tight, and I'm tired of having to say no to all the things I'm naturally inclined to eat! I know doing whole30 is good for my body, but it's mentally challenging at the moment. However, I know this is just a phase and hopefully the dragon-blood will kick in soon! 

How are you all doing? We've almost made it through the hardest part of the program! We can do it! :)

Nicely done! I know, I'm not a huge chocolate person, so I didn't think I would care that much, but it turns out I do really want chocolate tomorrow! It'll be a challenge, that's for sure!

I'm having similar feelings on Day 9. Physically, I'm feeling less bloated (etc.) than I was yesterday, but still not awesome. And I agree, I just really want a damn piece of pizza! My cravings have been wild, strong, and frequent - I don't have kids, but they seem to be pretty on par with cravings my friends have described in pregnancy (uh oh.... lol!) I was also eternally hungry yesterday... Was able to minimize evening snacking, but all I could think about was food/snacks/everything I "couldn't" eat. I'm glad the Olympics are on for some distraction right now!

Just a few more days until we're past the worst of it! 

22 hours ago, Charlene33 said:

Thank you! 

Maybe you could tell your daughter that you have an amazing homemade taco seasoning that you will bring along? I'm finding it hard to trust other people's cooking. 

21 hours ago, Jim4884 said:

Most taco seasoning packages have sugar in them.  McCormick Hot seasoning is sugar-free, but their regular one has sugar - if you're comfortable giving her that level of "help" :lol: 

Great advice from both of you!!   I asked her last night about the taco seasoning and she laughed and said she already checked and it doesn't have any sugar. 

I love how supportive this forum is!

On 2/12/2018 at 2:12 PM, kayten said:

So cool! I'm actually from Edmonton myself, have been in Calgary for work though - we're moving back in the spring :)

Very neat.  Are you moving back for work, or did you just miss being in Edmonton?

Also, how do you find shopping for W30 in Calgary - I generally find Calgary to be more "trendy", so thought there may be more stores with different W30 type foods (especially convenience items like compliant pepperoni or dressings for instance).  We are able to get what we need from Safeway/Walmart/etc. (the typical grocery stores), but we don't really have any stores like they have in the US (Trader Joes, Whole Foods, etc.) - I'm not sure if they have anything similar to these in Calgary?

On 2/12/2018 at 6:52 PM, KalinaM said:

I am in full on "I'm so tired I just want to sleep mode." BUT, my toddler is in full teething mode, so sleep's not happening, mommy! UGH. I'm here. I'm hanging in there. Day 8 complete! Hooray..... that tiger blood can kick in anytime now!

Good for you for hanging in!  That wouldn't be easy, but you can do it!! 

Archived