February 5, 2018 Accountability Buddies

KalinaM

On 2/12/2018 at 6:56 PM, april_espi said:

Nice! I haven't been to Canada yet but it's on my list! I recently applied for a job in Calgary but no luck.  Are you familiar with the BANFF Mountain Film Festival World Tour? 

No, I actually have never heard of this...perhaps @kayten has?

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, beesquare said:

Hello all! Started Feb. 5 as well, first time ever doing this.  It was a bit of a struggle getting through my first weekend in I don't know how long without WINE :) ...but in the end it was no biggie!  I haven't felt hungry at all, and have been AMAZED at how many delicious (and compliant) recipes can be found online - I've never home-cooked so consistently in my life before!  So far so good - fingers crossed I'll make it to the finish line (and beyond of course!) 

That's great about the recipes and cooking - I know this has been a big NSV for me too - cooking more consistently and relying less on eating out or grabbing something quick on the way home.  You will make it to the finish line!!!

What have been your favorite recipes so far?!

Hey all!  Everyone seems to be doing pretty well!  Cravings are definitely a challenge, but it's great to hear everyone's tips for getting through these and to read everyone's successes of bypassing temptation!  I imagine my office will be filled with treats today for Valentine's day, but I will do my best to avoid the kitchen areas where these usually get placed to help reduce any temptation!

I am 44 days in today, and the past few days my stomach/digestion has not been great.  I get really hungry, but then after having a few bites, feel bloated and gross - it's been a bit of a struggle to get through the meals, so I am not eating as much as normal, which then leads me to being hungry a lot sooner!  I did some reading on this, and I believe it's likely due to the fact that my stomach is getting used to the higher fat content and extra veggies in my meals.  So, I decided to try Kombucha for the first time - having about 1/4 - 1/2 cup with breakfast, and then have started using a homemade dressing with olive oil and apple cider vinegar (read that vinegar may help) for at least a meal/day.  And this morning, it feels like my body may be getting back to normal.

I am considering looking for a digestive enzyme or probiotic to help, has anyone on here tried these?  I have read through some of the troubleshooting pages to get an idea of some brands to look for, but am wondering if it may just be best to stick with the Kombucha and adding ACV to my meals for now.  

I hope everyone has a great day 10!

48 minutes ago, ErikaA said:

Very neat.  Are you moving back for work, or did you just miss being in Edmonton?

Also, how do you find shopping for W30 in Calgary - I generally find Calgary to be more "trendy", so thought there may be more stores with different W30 type foods (especially convenience items like compliant pepperoni or dressings for instance).  We are able to get what we need from Safeway/Walmart/etc. (the typical grocery stores), but we don't really have any stores like they have in the US (Trader Joes, Whole Foods, etc.) - I'm not sure if they have anything similar to these in Calgary?

We miss Edmonton actually, and my work was just able to accommodate the move back :)

It's pretty slim pickings here too - I was super disappointed when Whole Foods pulled out of the store they were planning on the south side of Edmonton. I've sometimes found things at Blush Organic Market (they have that one on Whyte in Edmonton too), but naturamarket.ca has been a lifesaver!!! Have you checked it out? You can buy a good variety of dressings/meat snacks/Rx bars/coconut aminos. on there, and orders over $40 ship free! They even have a button that will filter for Whole30 compliant ingredients, it's awesome.

35 minutes ago, ErikaA said:

Hey all!  Everyone seems to be doing pretty well!  Cravings are definitely a challenge, but it's great to hear everyone's tips for getting through these and to read everyone's successes of bypassing temptation!  I imagine my office will be filled with treats today for Valentine's day, but I will do my best to avoid the kitchen areas where these usually get placed to help reduce any temptation!

I am 44 days in today, and the past few days my stomach/digestion has not been great.  I get really hungry, but then after having a few bites, feel bloated and gross - it's been a bit of a struggle to get through the meals, so I am not eating as much as normal, which then leads me to being hungry a lot sooner!  I did some reading on this, and I believe it's likely due to the fact that my stomach is getting used to the higher fat content and extra veggies in my meals.  So, I decided to try Kombucha for the first time - having about 1/4 - 1/2 cup with breakfast, and then have started using a homemade dressing with olive oil and apple cider vinegar (read that vinegar may help) for at least a meal/day.  And this morning, it feels like my body may be getting back to normal.

I am considering looking for a digestive enzyme or probiotic to help, has anyone on here tried these?  I have read through some of the troubleshooting pages to get an idea of some brands to look for, but am wondering if it may just be best to stick with the Kombucha and adding ACV to my meals for now.  

I hope everyone has a great day 10!

As I was reading through that I was about to suggest kombucha, but I see you already thought of it! Costco sells a ginger kombucha that is perfect for an upset stomach! Oh and PS - Kirkland brand low sodium bacon is compliant ;)

46 minutes ago, ErikaA said:

Good for you for hanging in!  That wouldn't be easy, but you can do it!! 

Thanks! I appreciate the support!

Days 8 and 9 were super difficult for me! Midway through day 10 and things are looking up!! Hooray!!! Hope the upward trend continues. I've been too sleepy to post on this board much! Toddler finally gave me a full night's sleep last night (win!!) and I had a bizarre dream about eating an entire box of Triscuits and then crying because I had given in on day 9 and had to start over. SOOOOoooooooo relieved when I woke up! Ha! I don't even like Triscuits that much.... I know it's common to have weird dreams like this at this point, but my first whole30, I bypassed it! Not the 2nd round. Oh well, if dream cheating is the worst I do, I'm fine with that!!! In real life.... I met a friend at Panera on Monday for breakfast. I packed myself hardboiled eggs, guac and roasted sweet potatoes as my breakfast. And ordered a coffee for myself and a blueberry muffin for my son to eat when we got there. It was a lovely visit with my friend, but I must admit my favorite part of the visit... was smelling my son's blueberry muffin as I cut it up for him! HAHA!!! Somehow smelling it was just so very satisfying!

49 minutes ago, ErikaA said:

No, I actually have never heard of this...perhaps @kayten has?

@april_espi I'm not familiar with that festival either! We just had our Canada 150th celebration, and the government made all national park admissions free for the year... So I was actually avoiding Banff with a 10 foot pole last year haha! It was super busy

2 minutes ago, kayten said:

As I was reading through that I was about to suggest kombucha, but I see you already thought of it! Costco sells a ginger kombucha that is perfect for an upset stomach! Oh and PS - Kirkland brand low sodium bacon is compliant ;)

Really?!!!??? Kirkland low sodium has no sugar or nitrates? I did not know this!! I have to go check it out, I was planning on trekking an hour to my closest Whole Foods to get bacon this weekend.

1 minute ago, KalinaM said:

Really?!!!??? Kirkland low sodium has no sugar or nitrates? I did not know this!! I have to go check it out, I was planning on trekking an hour to my closest Whole Foods to get bacon this weekend.

Ya! A friend clued me in a few months ago, and I literally stood in that aisle comparing the ingredients against the Whole30 additives sheet for like 10 minutes because I couldn't believe it!

On 2/11/2018 at 1:27 PM, Gabi89 said:

Day 7!! Feeling pretty good. Still fighting cravings but breakfasts like this are not so bad. Salmon cake, fried eggs, and steamed spinach with my coconut milk latte. #organic #whole30 

4D573B39-B565-4E00-9A77-B356F159F201.jpeg

Those salmon cakes are one of my favs!! Yum.

On 2/13/2018 at 10:48 AM, beesquare said:

Hello all! Started Feb. 5 as well, first time ever doing this.  It was a bit of a struggle getting through my first weekend in I don't know how long without WINE :) ...but in the end it was no biggie!  I haven't felt hungry at all, and have been AMAZED at how many delicious (and compliant) recipes can be found online - I've never home-cooked so consistently in my life before!  So far so good - fingers crossed I'll make it to the finish line (and beyond of course!) 

Welcome! please continue to share your journey with us!

Guys. Remember how I said that I've been sleeping like a baby this Whole30? Last night they were doing snow removal with construction equipment right on the street my apartment is on until past 3 in the morning... I start work at 7, and I am LAGGING today. 

I'm a little worried, Day 10 on Valentines Day is not the day to be off, and I find that when I'm tired I am like 3000% more likely to make decisions I will regret instantly.

I don't even really have a plan, another warning bell, because my brain is literally too tired to think farther than 10 minutes into the future. Hoping I can just slog through today and get a good nights sleep tonight.

Also - has anybody used coconut manna before? I'm trying to decide whether to get it on my naturamarket order right now... I'm curious to try it but am not sure if I'd really be able to use it much.

On 2/12/2018 at 11:32 AM, kayten said:

Day 7 I was out of town watching my hubby in tournament, but set my alarm early to do some yoga and pack compliant lunches for both of us, so that was great... But then we ended up changing our plans and stopping at the barn for me to ride my horse on the way back into town, as it was on the way and saved me 45 minutes of driving. I hadn't packed food for dinner, and we were both SO hungry on our way home. We stopped at a grocery store for a rotisserie to have a quick and easy dinner when we got home. I was white-knuckling it on the way home, and BARELY escaped the store without a bag of chips. But, we did it.

Day 8 is tough so far. Woke up this morning not feeling too great, per the Whole30 timeline, right on schedule... My digestive system currently hates me. I'm taking this one day at a time here, and am planning on possibly skipping my lunch time run and doing some stretching instead.

One thing I have found is that since Day 1, I am sleeping better than I have in months, every night. I'm a bad sleeper, and December/January were plagued with bouts of insomnia (the main reason I'm doing a February Whole30), so it is such a relief to be getting some quality zzz's. Major non-scale victory for me! 

Hooray for nonscale victories showing up so early!!!

4 minutes ago, kayten said:

Guys. Remember how I said that I've been sleeping like a baby this Whole30? Last night they were doing snow removal with construction equipment right on the street my apartment is on until past 3 in the morning... I start work at 7, and I am LAGGING today. 

I'm a little worried, Day 10 on Valentines Day is not the day to be off, and I find that when I'm tired I am like 3000% more likely to make decisions I will regret instantly.

I don't even really have a plan, another warning bell, because my brain is literally too tired to think farther than 10 minutes into the future. Hoping I can just slog through today and get a good nights sleep tonight.

Also - has anybody used coconut manna before? I'm trying to decide whether to get it on my naturamarket order right now... I'm curious to try it but am not sure if I'd really be able to use it much.

Hang in there! I could've written this post yesterday-- it was so tempting being fat tuesday with all the treats available at work and poor sleep...... Take it one minute at a time if you have to!!

2 hours ago, kayten said:

I tried coconut manna - I used it in the egg-free mayo that's in the W30 book.  The mayo turned out pretty good, but I definitely prefer the regular homemade mayo.  I did read somewhere that someone used it on sweet potato, which I think is a brilliant idea - I haven't tried this yet, but I did add some on top of roasted butternut squash and OMG it was amazing!  It was pretty rich, so I wouldn't want to add too much of it, but still really good.

Aside from these ideas, I am not really sure what you would use it for, especially since I do have coconut oil in the cupboard. 

I hope today doesn't end up being too rough for you!  

8 hours ago, KalinaM said:

@KA11 please keep us updated on your daughter's cooking! I'm very intrigued to see how it pans out for you!

@Charlene33 Happy belated birthday!! You're so brave doing this for your birthday. Mine's at the end of March and I made sure I timed things so I'd be done with reintros well before my birthday! Good for you!!!!

Thank you! I've been looking at it like I'm taking this month to do something good for myself and my body, so that kinda goes along with my birthday month:) 

This has been my favorite recipe so far - barbeque chicken stuffed baked sweet potato: http://www.thebrewerandthebaker.com/archives/15949  I didn't even use the coconut aminos or the creole mustard because I couldn't find them but it was still delicious.

I thought this one was pretty delicious too - garlic and paprika chicken: https://www.jocooks.com/healthy-eating/garlic-and-paprika-chicken/   I used chicken breasts instead of the drumsticks. Now I'm a fan of smoked paprika, and I had never used it before. 

@Charlene33  Those look great!  I am trying to jazz up my recipes a bit.  I haven't used smoked paprika ever - that's something new to try.

I have a small NSV.  For fat Tuesday my office brings in donuts.  Not your normal donuts but Paczki - huge jelly filled donuts.  Donuts are my kryptonite.  Well I managed to stay out of the lunchroom, but then I went to have my taxes done.  On the way home from my accountant I pass Wendy's and Taco Bell.  I am kind of tired of the food I'm eating and so I said chuck it - after I have my taxes done I am going to get a huge Wendy's double with everything on it - cheese, mayo, all of it.  I'm done-zo.

Well I finished my taxes and started the long drive home and then I remembered what I had a weight loss counselor tell me once.  She said that after you've had a victory - not eating the cake at a party or the donuts in the lunchroom - is when you are most vulnerable to a slip up.  Psychologically you tell yourself that you did such a good job that you deserve a treat.  She was talking about weight loss diets - but then I realized that it must be true for elimination diets like this one too.  Well dammit - I do deserve something.  When my tax refund comes in I am going to order some clothes and to hell with Wendys and Taco Bell and all the fast food places.  I managed to drive home and have my boring dinner and didn't even look at a burger place.  

On the plus side, tonight' dinner wasn't boring at all.  I had a fillet of salmon that I baked in the oven.  I topped it with lemon juice, fresh ginger and ghee - a combination that I wouldn't have thought of before and served myself some green beans on the side.  It was so good! When I get back from my trip I am going to make breakfast sausage.  I am starting to get excited about my menus again.   

2 hours ago, Charlene33 said:

This has been my favorite recipe so far - barbeque chicken stuffed baked sweet potato: http://www.thebrewerandthebaker.com/archives/15949  I didn't even use the coconut aminos or the creole mustard because I couldn't find them but it was still delicious.

I thought this one was pretty delicious too - garlic and paprika chicken: https://www.jocooks.com/healthy-eating/garlic-and-paprika-chicken/   I used chicken breasts instead of the drumsticks. Now I'm a fan of smoked paprika, and I had never used it before. 

WOW! Those Garlic and paprika chicken thighs look scrumptious! I've also recently discovered the wonders of smoked paprika, isn't it great?

54 minutes ago, KA11 said:

@Charlene33  Those look great!  I am trying to jazz up my recipes a bit.  I haven't used smoked paprika ever - that's something new to try.

I have a small NSV.  For fat Tuesday my office brings in donuts.  Not your normal donuts but Paczki - huge jelly filled donuts.  Donuts are my kryptonite.  Well I managed to stay out of the lunchroom, but then I went to have my taxes done.  On the way home from my accountant I pass Wendy's and Taco Bell.  I am kind of tired of the food I'm eating and so I said chuck it - after I have my taxes done I am going to get a huge Wendy's double with everything on it - cheese, mayo, all of it.  I'm done-zo.

Well I finished my taxes and started the long drive home and then I remembered what I had a weight loss counselor tell me once.  She said that after you've had a victory - not eating the cake at a party or the donuts in the lunchroom - is when you are most vulnerable to a slip up.  Psychologically you tell yourself that you did such a good job that you deserve a treat.  She was talking about weight loss diets - but then I realized that it must be true for elimination diets like this one too.  Well dammit - I do deserve something.  When my tax refund comes in I am going to order some clothes and to hell with Wendys and Taco Bell and all the fast food places.  I managed to drive home and have my boring dinner and didn't even look at a burger place.  

On the plus side, tonight' dinner wasn't boring at all.  I had a fillet of salmon that I baked in the oven.  I topped it with lemon juice, fresh ginger and ghee - a combination that I wouldn't have thought of before and served myself some green beans on the side.  It was so good! When I get back from my trip I am going to make breakfast sausage.  I am starting to get excited about my menus again.   

That's great, @KA11!!!! Good for you! That's a HUGE NSV. Clothes are a wonderful reward! Something to look forward to and you can enjoy them more than once!

Yes, I do recommend jazzing up your recipes... we really are able to eat so many flavorful things! No need to be boring about it. Smoked paprika is highly recommended in my book.  Until last week, I've just used regular paprika in lieu of smoked-- oh my goodness-- there is no substitution. It's really a flavor unlike any other.

13 hours ago, KA11 said:

Good for you! That is so hard to catch yourself when you're already in the "screw it!" mindset, nicely done!

One thing that I've found takes food from 'good' to 'amazing!' is black truffle salt if you can find it (I get mine from Evoolution). It adds such an intense depth of flavor and umami  - it's particularly excellent used in Nomnom Paleo's Crackling Chicken recipe :) 

Archived