February 5, 2018 Accountability Buddies

KalinaM

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Jeanne M said:

Is anyone else dying??? Today has been such a hard day,  Stayed on plan but all I’m thinking of is what I want to eat! ALL.THE.FOOD.

Yes!!! I so badly want a glass of wine and maybe cheese and crackers to accompany.... I had sparkling mineral water with lemon instead.  It was ok, but not the same....

1 hour ago, KalinaM said:

Yes!!! I so badly want a glass of wine and maybe cheese and crackers to accompany.... I had sparkling mineral water with lemon instead.  It was ok, but not the same....

I like sparkling mineral water OK, but it will never be the same as wine.  BUT, what I've learned from my first two Whole 30's - the wine (and cheese and crackers - but the wine is my biggest temptation as well) will ALWAYS be there when you complete the Whole30.  I promise :D 

So lately I’ve been so tired that I haven’t been posting at the end of my night. But just finished catching up and reading the last two couple of post made. I have been doing pretty good, no cravings, just been tired, and having terrible headaches. I haven’t been taking anything for them but today after I got home I had too. I could barely think straight with how bad my head hurt, I took two excedrines which I read and don’t have anything in them that is not W30 compliant or so I hope not because I couldn’t find anything that said not to take them. Has anyone else been dealing with headaches? But after taking them within 30 mins I left like a brand new person, I cooked up a couple of new things to end the week strong. I’m finding that although I’m cooking, prepping and washing a lot more dishes I’m not bothered by it. To be honest I used to dread coming home to have to cook but I think because I have a plan and know what I’m making beforehand it’s just so much easier now and fun. Before we would always thing about what was for dinner and were always tired so we would just end up getting junk food outside and bringing it home for dinner. But now I’m really enjoying all the meals, planning for them and eating them. Best of all I don’t have to worry about what to cook.

Well hope everyone had a great day!

Woke up a half hour early today for work. And surprisingly, it only took about 10 minutes for me to really wake up. Usually, I'm hitting the snooze button for about 45 minutes before I get up when I wake up at the normal time. Still tired, but surprisingly not as knockout exhausted as usual. 

On 2/14/2018 at 9:22 PM, KA11 said:

@Charlene33  Those look great!  I am trying to jazz up my recipes a bit.  I haven't used smoked paprika ever - that's something new to try.

I have a small NSV.  For fat Tuesday my office brings in donuts.  Not your normal donuts but Paczki - huge jelly filled donuts.  Donuts are my kryptonite.  Well I managed to stay out of the lunchroom, but then I went to have my taxes done.  On the way home from my accountant I pass Wendy's and Taco Bell.  I am kind of tired of the food I'm eating and so I said chuck it - after I have my taxes done I am going to get a huge Wendy's double with everything on it - cheese, mayo, all of it.  I'm done-zo.

Well I finished my taxes and started the long drive home and then I remembered what I had a weight loss counselor tell me once.  She said that after you've had a victory - not eating the cake at a party or the donuts in the lunchroom - is when you are most vulnerable to a slip up.  Psychologically you tell yourself that you did such a good job that you deserve a treat.  She was talking about weight loss diets - but then I realized that it must be true for elimination diets like this one too.  Well dammit - I do deserve something.  When my tax refund comes in I am going to order some clothes and to hell with Wendys and Taco Bell and all the fast food places.  I managed to drive home and have my boring dinner and didn't even look at a burger place.  

On the plus side, tonight' dinner wasn't boring at all.  I had a fillet of salmon that I baked in the oven.  I topped it with lemon juice, fresh ginger and ghee - a combination that I wouldn't have thought of before and served myself some green beans on the side.  It was so good! When I get back from my trip I am going to make breakfast sausage.  I am starting to get excited about my menus again.   

That's great to know. And congratulations on staying strong!

Day 12 folks! Another few days and we are halfway!

I think my tiger blood hit yesterday! I have all the energy to do all the things now! Sleeping deeply and waking alert before my alarm. Does anyone else who as completed a Whole30 before find the energy kind of overwhelming? I get kind of twitchy and find it really hard to just sit still and relax - I'm constantly jumping up to throw in a load of laundry, clean the windows, do some dishes, organize a shelf, etc... Every time I've done a Whole30 it's been like that for about the first week of tiger blood. I do my workouts around 16:30, so am wondering if that energy pump just takes a while to get used to once I'm fuelling my body correctly, as opposed to dragging myself through the day.

I'm still having random cravings (this morning at 07:15 was vanilla ice cream :huh:) but am feeling good enough that it's becoming less and less worth it to consider ruining this. I'm considering extending to a Whole45, as I have an autoimmune and have heard it can be good to do a bit longer in that case. @ErikaA I think you said you were on Day 44 a while ago? How have you found Whole30+?

2 hours ago, kayten said:

Day 12 folks! Another few days and we are halfway!

I think my tiger blood hit yesterday! I have all the energy to do all the things now! Sleeping deeply and waking alert before my alarm. Does anyone else who as completed a Whole30 before find the energy kind of overwhelming? I get kind of twitchy and find it really hard to just sit still and relax - I'm constantly jumping up to throw in a load of laundry, clean the windows, do some dishes, organize a shelf, etc... Every time I've done a Whole30 it's been like that for about the first week of tiger blood. I do my workouts around 16:30, so am wondering if that energy pump just takes a while to get used to once I'm fuelling my body correctly, as opposed to dragging myself through the day.

I'm still having random cravings (this morning at 07:15 was vanilla ice cream :huh:) but am feeling good enough that it's becoming less and less worth it to consider ruining this. I'm considering extending to a Whole45, as I have an autoimmune and have heard it can be good to do a bit longer in that case. @ErikaA I think you said you were on Day 44 a while ago? How have you found Whole30+?

That's great that you are feeling tiger blood! I definitely have more energy,  but not overwhelming amounts.  I do feel like I can keep up with my baby better though and don't get as tired out chasing after him.  

16 hours ago, Jim4884 said:

I like sparkling mineral water OK, but it will never be the same as wine.  BUT, what I've learned from my first two Whole 30's - the wine (and cheese and crackers - but the wine is my biggest temptation as well) will ALWAYS be there when you complete the Whole30.  I promise :D 

Yes,  I know.... but you know how bratty the brain can be when it wants something NOW!  When did you complete your other Whole30s? My first one was February 2016.

3 hours ago, KalinaM said:

That's great that you are feeling tiger blood! I definitely have more energy,  but not overwhelming amounts.  I do feel like I can keep up with my baby better though and don't get as tired out chasing after him.  

I have not gotten there yet!  I’m still having headaches.  Not sure if it’s withdrawal or allergies though.  I need all that energy!

23 hours ago, Jeanne M said:

Is anyone else dying??? Today has been such a hard day,  Stayed on plan but all I’m thinking of is what I want to eat! ALL.THE.FOOD.

Yes, that's me today! I want any junk food I see, hear about on the radio, at any fast food restaurant I pass when driving, etc.  It was a rough day but I made it through.  Congratulations on staying on plan through temptation:) 

19 hours ago, WJStar said:

So lately I’ve been so tired that I haven’t been posting at the end of my night. But just finished catching up and reading the last two couple of post made. I have been doing pretty good, no cravings, just been tired, and having terrible headaches. I haven’t been taking anything for them but today after I got home I had too. I could barely think straight with how bad my head hurt, I took two excedrines which I read and don’t have anything in them that is not W30 compliant or so I hope not because I couldn’t find anything that said not to take them. Has anyone else been dealing with headaches? But after taking them within 30 mins I left like a brand new person, I cooked up a couple of new things to end the week strong. I’m finding that although I’m cooking, prepping and washing a lot more dishes I’m not bothered by it. To be honest I used to dread coming home to have to cook but I think because I have a plan and know what I’m making beforehand it’s just so much easier now and fun. Before we would always thing about what was for dinner and were always tired so we would just end up getting junk food outside and bringing it home for dinner. But now I’m really enjoying all the meals, planning for them and eating them. Best of all I don’t have to worry about what to cook.

Yes, that's how I'm feeling now about the cooking. It was a lot at first, but now it's just so nice to know what we're having and not have to make a decision after getting home from work. 

12 days down. Woohoo!  Here is my best tip so far:

I have been freezing all of my leftovers. I use those 2 cup glass Pyrex bowls so they are the perfect size for lunches. In the morning I just take a bowl out of the freezer and put it in my lunchbag. This way I don't have to eat the leftovers right after having that meal; I can mix it up more. This week one night I moved one of the meals I had planned to my next week meal plan because we had too many frozen meals and I was out of bowls. So a night without cooking - bonus! 

Tomorrow we are going to Red Lobster for lunch and I'm a little worried about what I'm going to eat. Maybe just a salad - but I'd hate to go to Red Lobster and not get seafood. Maybe I can ask for shrimp cooked without any butter or seasoning?  I'll have to research this. 

46 minutes ago, Charlene33 said:

Yes, that's me today! I want any junk food I see, hear about on the radio, at any fast food restaurant I pass when driving, etc.  It was a rough day but I made it through.  Congratulations on staying on plan through temptation:) 

Right?  I worked from home today and had the tv on.  I swear every commercial was food!

5 hours ago, KalinaM said:

Yes,  I know.... but you know how bratty the brain can be when it wants something NOW!  When did you complete your other Whole30s? My first one was February 2016.

I completed my first Whole 30 mid July last year (started June 1 but had to reset two weeks in - cue "read all labels" lesson learned) :)  and completed the 2nd end of January.  I got in this group as I had shared some of my results with someone who identified themselves as "scared", hoping to provide some motivation.   And as I enjoy discussing Whole 30 eating (I've pretty much continued Whole 30 95% of the time), I pop in with a comment here and there.  And yes, I have more than a passing acquaintance with a bratty brain haha.

On 2/15/2018 at 5:20 PM, Jeanne M said:

This week, I've struggled with constant hunger and low energy levels accompanied by muscle weakness. I'm adding more fats to my meals which is helping a bit...I'm able to stay full for 3 hours, instead of just 2 lol. But man, the weakness is no fun. I'm struggling with sleep (common for me) and my body is struggling to move. Hope this goes away soon!

On 2/14/2018 at 7:22 PM, KA11 said:

@Charlene33  Those look great!  I am trying to jazz up my recipes a bit.  I haven't used smoked paprika ever - that's something new to try.

I have a small NSV.  For fat Tuesday my office brings in donuts.  Not your normal donuts but Paczki - huge jelly filled donuts.  Donuts are my kryptonite.  Well I managed to stay out of the lunchroom, but then I went to have my taxes done.  On the way home from my accountant I pass Wendy's and Taco Bell.  I am kind of tired of the food I'm eating and so I said chuck it - after I have my taxes done I am going to get a huge Wendy's double with everything on it - cheese, mayo, all of it.  I'm done-zo.

Well I finished my taxes and started the long drive home and then I remembered what I had a weight loss counselor tell me once.  She said that after you've had a victory - not eating the cake at a party or the donuts in the lunchroom - is when you are most vulnerable to a slip up.  Psychologically you tell yourself that you did such a good job that you deserve a treat.  She was talking about weight loss diets - but then I realized that it must be true for elimination diets like this one too.  Well dammit - I do deserve something.  When my tax refund comes in I am going to order some clothes and to hell with Wendys and Taco Bell and all the fast food places.  I managed to drive home and have my boring dinner and didn't even look at a burger place.  

On the plus side, tonight' dinner wasn't boring at all.  I had a fillet of salmon that I baked in the oven.  I topped it with lemon juice, fresh ginger and ghee - a combination that I wouldn't have thought of before and served myself some green beans on the side.  It was so good! When I get back from my trip I am going to make breakfast sausage.  I am starting to get excited about my menus again.   

This is a huge NSV!  Well done.  And, I think clothes as a reward are a great idea!  Bonus that the reward will last longer than 10 minutes too!!

PS your dinner sounds delicious!

On 2/14/2018 at 8:21 PM, KalinaM said:

That's great, @KA11!!!! Good for you! That's a HUGE NSV. Clothes are a wonderful reward! Something to look forward to and you can enjoy them more than once!

Yes, I do recommend jazzing up your recipes... we really are able to eat so many flavorful things! No need to be boring about it. Smoked paprika is highly recommended in my book.  Until last week, I've just used regular paprika in lieu of smoked-- oh my goodness-- there is no substitution. It's really a flavor unlike any other.

I also like smoked paprika - I haven't been able to use it since starting W30, since I have not been able to find one without sulfites :( But, it definitely adds a whole other layer of flavor when you are able to cook with it!!

On 2/14/2018 at 5:55 PM, Charlene33 said:

This has been my favorite recipe so far - barbeque chicken stuffed baked sweet potato: http://www.thebrewerandthebaker.com/archives/15949  I didn't even use the coconut aminos or the creole mustard because I couldn't find them but it was still delicious.

I thought this one was pretty delicious too - garlic and paprika chicken: https://www.jocooks.com/healthy-eating/garlic-and-paprika-chicken/   I used chicken breasts instead of the drumsticks. Now I'm a fan of smoked paprika, and I had never used it before. 

Thanks for the recipe ideas, I have saved to my Pintrest boards for future reference!!!

On 2/15/2018 at 10:02 PM, WJStar said:

Sorry to hear about your headaches - there were a few days where I had the same issue - glad to hear the medicine helped.  Hopefully, these will go away soon!  

I think that's great that you're enjoying the meals and planning too.  I agree with you, it's much easier to go home to cook when you have an idea of what to make - I have always hated that aspect of cooking, trying to figure out what exactly I'll be making!!

13 hours ago, Charlene33 said:

12 days down. Woohoo!  Here is my best tip so far:

I have been freezing all of my leftovers. I use those 2 cup glass Pyrex bowls so they are the perfect size for lunches. In the morning I just take a bowl out of the freezer and put it in my lunchbag. This way I don't have to eat the leftovers right after having that meal; I can mix it up more. This week one night I moved one of the meals I had planned to my next week meal plan because we had too many frozen meals and I was out of bowls. So a night without cooking - bonus! 

Tomorrow we are going to Red Lobster for lunch and I'm a little worried about what I'm going to eat. Maybe just a salad - but I'd hate to go to Red Lobster and not get seafood. Maybe I can ask for shrimp cooked without any butter or seasoning?  I'll have to research this. 

This is a great tip!! Thanks!!

Also, I hope you'll share how your experience at Red Lobster goes!!  Hopefully, whatever you order is delicious!!

8 hours ago, april_espi said:

This week, I've struggled with constant hunger and low energy levels accompanied by muscle weakness. I'm adding more fats to my meals which is helping a bit...I'm able to stay full for 3 hours, instead of just 2 lol. But man, the weakness is no fun. I'm struggling with sleep (common for me) and my body is struggling to move. Hope this goes away soon!

I know at the start of my W30, I was struggling with hunger and low energy and I found adding some starchier vegetables to one or two of my meals helped.  The Whole30 and Day by Day books talk about possibly needing to update the carb content of the meals to help get that Tiger Blood - this is especially true if you are working out or have higher activity levels.  Maybe this would help?  I would also suggest reaching out to a moderator - through this thread or a separate one - and listing out a summary/sample of your meals; they may be able to provide suggestions as to how you can start feeling better.

@kayten To answer your question about the W30+.  When I originally started, I was worried about extending it, thinking I would not have the same excitement/motivation to do a proper re-introduction after, so I had planned on doing just the W30, focusing on re-introduction for a couple of weeks and then going back to the W30 for a second round.  Near the end of the 30 days though, I got stuck with a cold and was having some stomach issues (I think due to too many eggs) and so decided to press on - and I'm so glad I did.  I'm finding the longer I go, the more I'm learning about myself and what foods make me feel great, okay, and not so great.

For me, a second motivating factor to extending it was the fact that I was heading into the busiest/most stressful time of the year for work - tax season (I am an accountant).  This has historically not been a great time for me for two reasons - one, the partners at my firm provide extra food/snacks (cookies, granola bars, crackers, etc.) for the staff to eat during overtime hours and, in the past, I would end up eating so much of this stuff, which just left me feeling gross and miserable.  Two, with working extra long hours, I would get home at night and be too exhausted to cook, so we were constantly ordering in or would just end up snacking on crackers and cheese, or something similar.  So, going into this year continuing on my W30, my goal was to avoid these pitfalls and so far, so good!  My stress level at work has been WAY better, I'm much more patient with the junior staff, I'm having NO problem avoiding the extra treats/snacks in the office, and not only am I getting home with enough energy to cook, but I'm also finding the energy to keep up my workout routine.  

So, to sum up this extremely long winded response, extending the W30 was a great decision for me.  It's really helping reinforce these good habits and giving me more of an opportunity to get more in tune with myself.  AND, I am still excited/motivated to do the proper reintroduction next month - I'm actually feeling that I may be able to reach that "Food Freedom" goal, once this is all said and done!!

On 2/14/2018 at 8:55 AM, kayten said:

As I was reading through that I was about to suggest kombucha, but I see you already thought of it! Costco sells a ginger kombucha that is perfect for an upset stomach! Oh and PS - Kirkland brand low sodium bacon is compliant ;)

Thanks for these tips - after reading this, I made a decision to do a Costco run this week!!!  I found the kombucha - this is the same one I had bought at Safeway, but about $2 cheaper per bottle!!  I wasn't able to find the bacon - the only packs they had at our Costco had sugar :(  But I also stocked up on some other W30 items - some compliant spices, fruits and veggies, guacamole (not sure what brand, but it has no additives and is AMAZING).  Thanks again!

@ErikaA I was at Costco last night getting the items I needed for this weeks meal, I was looking at their bacon but couldn’t find the sodium ones you recommended all the ones they had had sugar as a listed ingredient, maybe next time, I was also mad that they had ran out of the frozen Cauliflower they had which we love because they bring about 4 individual bags inside  and they are so easy to prepare. But I did find some chicken sausages which were W30 compliant and hoping they taste good. I also buy the grass fed beef which is not bad and brings about 3 packs which I feel is pretty good for the price. 

Has anyone been feeling/seeing any difference in how they look in clothes or changes in their appearance? 

Archived