February 5, 2018 Accountability Buddies

KalinaM

7 hours ago, ErikaA said:

I know at the start of my W30, I was struggling with hunger and low energy and I found adding some starchier vegetables to one or two of my meals helped.  The Whole30 and Day by Day books talk about possibly needing to update the carb content of the meals to help get that Tiger Blood - this is especially true if you are working out or have higher activity levels.  Maybe this would help?  I would also suggest reaching out to a moderator - through this thread or a separate one - and listing out a summary/sample of your meals; they may be able to provide suggestions as to how you can start feeling better.

Reaching out to the moderators is a good idea. I posted under "Troubleshooting" but never heard back. I've been having two starchy meals a day, and sometimes fruit. I feel like that's plenty. I'm currently reading It Starts With Food, and it talks a lot about our bodies not needing carbs for energy. With that in mind, I've been eating a lot more fats. The last couple of days, I've been trying to incorporate more cooking oils and dressings, instead of nuts/nut butters. I even put coconut oil in my coffee today lol. Fingers crossed!

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone had issues with going to the bathroom? Sorry I haven't had a chance to read older posts lately. I been going every other day or so and have been gassy (sorry if that's TMI). My co-worker who's a nutrition major said that the influx of fibrous veggies is the reason for lack of having to go. Thoughts?

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, april_espi said:

Has anyone had issues with going to the bathroom? Sorry I haven't had a chance to read older posts lately. I been going every other day or so and have been gassy (sorry if that's TMI). My co-worker who's a nutrition major said that the influx of fibrous veggies is the reason for lack of having to go. Thoughts?

I found your other thread (https://forum.whole30.com/topic/53164-hungry-poor-digestion-low-quality-sleep/?tab=comments#comment-484632) -- are you still constantly hungry as well? When you work out, be sure you're having pre- and post-workout meals, in addition to three regular sized-meals each day. The meal template outlines what your meals and the pre- and post-workout should look likeL  https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

For the constipation and gas, be sure you're drinking plenty of water -- 1/2 oz per pound of body weight, so a 120-lb person needs at least 60 oz of water. Eat a mix of vegetables -- they have different forms of fiber, soluble and insoluble, and it's important to have both. Be sure you're eating enough fat. 

If you'd like more specific feedback, I'd recommend going back to that other thread in the Troubleshooting section and listing a day or two of typical meals to get more specific feedback.

Day 14 - I thought I posted yesterday, but maybe it didn’t go through?  Anyway, excited to be almost halfway through!  I had a question after shopping yesterday.  I was looking at some organic bacon and it had zero sugars listed in the nutrition info, but then the ingredients had organic sugar listed.  I started checking and saw the same thing in other products.  Zero sugars but then showing organic sugar or organic honey as an ingredient.  I didn’t buy anything like that until I know for sure.  What’s the answer?

i also had a recipe that called for Medjool dates.  Neither my produce market or grocery had them, and the ones on the canned fruit aisle had tons of sugar.  Is there a substitute?

16 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

I found your other thread (https://forum.whole30.com/topic/53164-hungry-poor-digestion-low-quality-sleep/?tab=comments#comment-484632) -- are you still constantly hungry as well? When you work out, be sure you're having pre- and post-workout meals, in addition to three regular sized-meals each day. The meal template outlines what your meals and the pre- and post-workout should look likeL  https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

For the constipation and gas, be sure you're drinking plenty of water -- 1/2 oz per pound of body weight, so a 120-lb person needs at least 60 oz of water. Eat a mix of vegetables -- they have different forms of fiber, soluble and insoluble, and it's important to have both. Be sure you're eating enough fat. 

If you'd like more specific feedback, I'd recommend going back to that other thread in the Troubleshooting section and listing a day or two of typical meals to get more specific feedback.

I just replied to my original thread, and just now saw the feedback from the other moderator. Woops!

44 minutes ago, Jeanne M said:

Day 14 - I thought I posted yesterday, but maybe it didn’t go through?  Anyway, excited to be almost halfway through!  I had a question after shopping yesterday.  I was looking at some organic bacon and it had zero sugars listed in the nutrition info, but then the ingredients had organic sugar listed.  I started checking and saw the same thing in other products.  Zero sugars but then showing organic sugar or organic honey as an ingredient.  I didn’t buy anything like that until I know for sure.  What’s the answer?

i also had a recipe that called for Medjool dates.  Neither my produce market or grocery had them, and the ones on the canned fruit aisle had tons of sugar.  Is there a substitute?

Is there a Sprout's near you? I was able to find dates without any sugar added at my local Sprout's :)

22 hours ago, WJStar said:

@ErikaA I was at Costco last night getting the items I needed for this weeks meal, I was looking at their bacon but couldn’t find the sodium ones you recommended all the ones they had had sugar as a listed ingredient, maybe next time, I was also mad that they had ran out of the frozen Cauliflower they had which we love because they bring about 4 individual bags inside  and they are so easy to prepare. But I did find some chicken sausages which were W30 compliant and hoping they taste good. I also buy the grass fed beef which is not bad and brings about 3 packs which I feel is pretty good for the price. 

Has anyone been feeling/seeing any difference in how they look in clothes or changes in their appearance? 

What brand were the chicken sausages? I haven't found any compliant sausage and would love to as it would really add variety to the easy weeknight dinner rotation!

I've been noticing my bra and belt are looser, and my mother said I look slimmer than when she last saw me, so that was pretty neat! More importantly, my energy levels are high and steadying out :) how about you???

7 hours ago, Jeanne M said:

The ingredient list is the critical item - so bacon with sugar listed as an ingredient is not compliant.  I've found compliant bacon at my local Sprouts, that is so far the only source I've located.

4 hours ago, Jim4884 said:

The ingredient list is the critical item - so bacon with sugar listed as an ingredient is not compliant.  I've found compliant bacon at my local Sprouts, that is so far the only source I've located.

No Sprouts but thanks! I’m glad I didn’t buy it!

So today is REALLY Day 14!  I blame it on lack of carbs! Lol 

Still hanging in there, didn’t have a bad headache so hoping I’m about to get the energy boost.  Did my meal prep today, I really wish I liked it better, feel like it’s so time consuming, but I have to do it.  I did find a really food recipe for Taco Spaghetti (zoodles) that smelled great and I think will be good for satisfying my pasta withdrawal.  Halfway tomorrow, really proud of myself for sticking with it! 

So the two compliant bacon brands I've found are Garrett Valley, and Niman Ranch.  I think Niman Ranch is a SoCal local place, but hopefully you can google Garrett Valley and find a local store that carries it.  Good luck!  Something else that may help with breakfast is making your own breakfast sausage - I use a Bon Appetit recipe https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/ba-breakfast-sausage and substitute nutmeg for the brown sugar and it is pretty tasty.  Trader Joe's (hope you have those) has ground pork.

(and by the way, I now prefer zoodles over "real" pasta - hard for me to believe that, but it's true )

6 hours ago, kayten said:

What brand were the chicken sausages? I haven't found any compliant sausage and would love to as it would really add variety to the easy weeknight dinner rotation!

I've been noticing my bra and belt are looser, and my mother said I look slimmer than when she last saw me, so that was pretty neat! More importantly, my energy levels are high and steadying out :) how about you???

I found Spolumbo’s sausage at Safeway - they have chicken and pork ones that are compliant. https://spolumbos.com/sausage/ 

Day 15 - what?? I made it halfway!! Reallly proud of myself for this.  Still a little early, bu I know I won’t be cheating tonight.  This is the longest eating plan I’ve stuck to in a very long time.  Always have just said “a couple of bites won’t hurt” or “it’s cheat day.”  I’m really starting to recognize the stress and things that tend to be when I reach for food.  I really think I can do this now!

6 hours ago, Jeanne M said:

Day 15 - what?? I made it halfway!! Reallly proud of myself for this.  Still a little early, bu I know I won’t be cheating tonight.  This is the longest eating plan I’ve stuck to in a very long time.  Always have just said “a couple of bites won’t hurt” or “it’s cheat day.”  I’m really starting to recognize the stress and things that tend to be when I reach for food.  I really think I can do this now!

Awesome, Jeanne! We are halfway!!!! 

On 2/18/2018 at 5:04 PM, Jim4884 said:

I've found my local Whole Foods has a Paleo bacon that is also Whole30 compliant.

On 2/17/2018 at 5:08 PM, WJStar said:

Has anyone been feeling/seeing any difference in how they look in clothes or changes in their appearance? 

Yes, my pants are slightly loser in the thighs. And my complexion is looking way healthier! I've been struggling with acne since about the second trimester of pregnancy-- and the "baby" is now 14 months old! So, that's a BIG NSV in my book!

On 2/16/2018 at 9:09 PM, Jim4884 said:

I completed my first Whole 30 mid July last year (started June 1 but had to reset two weeks in - cue "read all labels" lesson learned) :)  and completed the 2nd end of January.  I got in this group as I had shared some of my results with someone who identified themselves as "scared", hoping to provide some motivation.   And as I enjoy discussing Whole 30 eating (I've pretty much continued Whole 30 95% of the time), I pop in with a comment here and there.  And yes, I have more than a passing acquaintance with a bratty brain haha.

That's so great that you stick around to cheer on the newbies! And yes, reading labels is sooooooo important! 

On 2/14/2018 at 11:06 AM, KalinaM said:

Welcome! please continue to share your journey with us!

Thank you!  Sorry for the late reply.... :(

So day 16 for me..........and this is honestly the first day where I've felt like throwing in the towel.  I WON'T (I hope!) but I've been sailing through this pretty much until today, and instead of Tiger Blood I'm feeling the way i should have on day 13/14 (dreaming of junk food) or day 21......(I'm so over this!)  Energy way down today too for some reason. :(But on I'll go! 

Y’all I’m so excited!  I know we’re supposed to concentrate on NSV’s, but I had a doctor’s appointment today and I was down 9 pounds!! I knew my clothes were starting to feel looser and I feel less bloated, but wow.  I’m a believer.  I am ready for tiger blood though.  Still have a pretty baggy headache, but the weight loss is definitely a motivator to finish strong!

21 hours ago, KalinaM said:

We are halfway!!! How's everyone doing? Any thoughts on reintroductions yet?

I need to read through that again.  I’m feeling pretty sure dairy is going to be a big one for me.  I love cheese and yogurt, so need to figure that one out for sure. I’m also feeling really good about just eating better food in general.  I’m single and am awful about just grabbing something, pizza or fast food, on the way home instead of cooking.  Also really bad about eating frozen “healthy” dinners.  Food prep is still hard for me, but knowing how much sugar and other stuff is really in those foods, I think I’ll think twice about it.

Day.... 17?!?! When did that happen??? How's everyone feeling? Any plans for the dreaded food boredom of week 3?

After seeing how many people on the forum were raving about the Fast and Easy cookbook, I decided to treat myself last week and bought it... And I'm so glad I did!

So far I've made the alfredo sauce (with spaghetti squash, turkey breast and mushrooms for a "fettucine" night), chicken and zucchini skillet, kale and potato sheet pan meal, and crunchy garlic pepper beef (listed in order from most favourite to meh-in-my-opinion). All have been super fast and easy indeed! And quite inexpensive ingredients to make it, which is a major plus :)

I realized when I was planning out my running and workout schedule that I'm out of town for the next 3 weekends, and was out of town last weekend... Quite the time to do a Whole30, when you're out of town on the weekends for a month straight :huh: 

I'm already working on next week's meal plan so we can do groceries on our way back into town and meal prep real quick Sunday night. Thankfully, I'll have a bunch of leftovers to bring with me for this upcoming trip as my husband is out of town and I'm overcooking like crazy! We travel a lot, and the inability to settle into a weekend routine has been a major detriment for me in the past. If anything, I'm kind of grateful for all this craziness during my Whole30 -  I'm really showing myself that there are no excuses, and if I'm committed enough, travel doesn't have to interfere with nutrition!

On Day 17 and going on my first date since whole 30 with my husband. We are foodies and being on Whole 30 has been frustrations and awakening all at the same time. I didn’t think my eating habits were bad but I’m realizing I ate a lot of cheese, bread, and chocolate before this. I’m hoping in 13 days i can learn to really minimize how much of all of that I eat 

Archived