heartburn and bm's

So, it's Day 6 - end of actually, and I'm wondering about my heartburn and bm's... I'm wondering if I'm just jumping the gun being concerned? I've had heartburn every day and some stomach upset and I know they said that is to be expected, but I figured it would be due to the fact that things would be moving through me - which they have not - very few bm's - way less regular than usual :( and I'm not feeling any better yet ... is this normal?

Heartburn, acid reflux and IBS-C were just a few of the many health issues I was dealing with when I decided to try Whole 30. I won't lie, these symptoms got worse for a couple of weeks, before they started to get better. Here is what helped me:

Water-lots and lots of water. I drink a minimum of 12 glasses a day, and frequently a gallon of water daily

Kombucha

Digestive Enzymes

Healthy fats with every meal

Sweet potatoes and roasted butternut squash (helped settle my stomach, plus they taste soooooo good )

I also realized post W30 that these symptoms were aggravated when I ate any amount of dried fruit and nuts. Please also consider you may need longer than 30 days to heal some of your health concerns-perhaps a W45 or W60.

I hope you start to feel better soon. Happy New Year!!!!

Lisa

I am glad I read this thread. I am starting my first Whole30 next Monday and one of the main reasons for doing this is to figure out what is causing my gastrointestinal issues. Not happy to hear the symptoms could get worse but it is helpful to know that if/when it happens, it is normal.

Good luck, Chelle!

So, it's Day 6 - end of actually, and I'm wondering about my heartburn and bm's... I'm wondering if I'm just jumping the gun being concerned? I've had heartburn every day and some stomach upset and I know they said that is to be expected, but I figured it would be due to the fact that things would be moving through me - which they have not - very few bm's - way less regular than usual :( and I'm not feeling any better yet ... is this normal?

Everything in your digestive system is actively trying to heal and level out during the first few weeks of your Whole30 (and maybe longer). During this time, literally anything goes...or in your case, doesn't. If your heartburn doesn't settle in a week or so, give it a go with some digestive enzymes. If you're eating more protein than you're used to your belly may need a boost.

so i think the heartburn is pretty much getting better, but bm's are still few and far between ... it's making me crazy - i need to go!!!

i got kombucha and started drinking it yesterday

i drink so much water already - 4 or 5 litres a day minimum ... anymore and i go to the washroom every 20 minutes

just continue to be patient???

I take the NOW Super Enzymes and the Jarrow Alergen-free probiotics. Both have been very helpful. Prior to this, I suffered from terrible constipation.... I know this is TMI, but terrible as in I only went to the bathroom 1-2 times a week.

My first attempt at a Whole30, I was pissed that the first few weeks did not seem to cure this issue.

Week 3 came and I was a new woman! May have lost like 10 lbs (didn't weigh myself)... again, too much info. Sorry.

I'd try the probiotics, a kombucha a day, continue the water, and just be patient. Good luck!

chelle81, glad you posted this, I am experiencing the same thing..today is day 5 fo rme and I am so frustrated with the painful stomach cramps, indigestion, bloat. I was going to post about it this morning, but was hesitant because recently I read some comments on here that disturbed me, some posters said they "hate complainers/whiners", thier words not mine and I didn't want to post about my problems and get blasted as a complainer or whiner

Anyway, I have a long history of digestive disorders and the fact that my stomach feels worse now than it has in the past really concerned me. It helps to know this is normal for some of us. I've been eating more fat and protien that I'm used to eating. I've been eatin sweet potatoes and buttner squash, green beans and a few pieces of fruit. The first few days my stomach was queasy, the fruit seems to help settle it, the last couple of days my indigestion/camps/bloat has gotten much worse and I was getting kinda scared. I've been in the doctors office/hospital in the past, for tummy issues and didn't want to go down that road again.

JoJo, there is never too much info in cases like this IMO, thanks for sharing your input, its very helpful

I appreciate ALL the responsed to this issue. I will give it a try and increase my water intake

I've never tried Kombucha

I have a history of digestive problems and now in my second whole* I am closely monitoring the effects of various components vs symptoms. (Protein, fat, fodmaps, fruit, caffeine). I cannot eat any fruit whatsooever it seems without some degree of symptoms (pain, wind, bloat) with or without digestive enzymes (the latter seem to be helping fat digestion though) so what about excluding all fruit for a few days????

I am glad I read this thread. I am starting my first Whole30 next Monday and one of the main reasons for doing this is to figure out what is causing my gastrointestinal issues. Not happy to hear the symptoms could get worse but it is helpful to know that if/when it happens, it is normal.

Good luck, Chelle!

Ditto! Started my first whole 30, on day 4, suffer from bad GI issues, on meds too long, praying whole 30 will help me. Good to know it gets worse before it gets better because I am definetly feeling the worse of it.

Good luck!

• 11 months later...

So glad to see this - I just looked up heartburn and constipation issues for the Whole30 - I'll follow the above advice and see what happens.  I was wondering if it was something I was eating, like tomatoes or spices, but those never bothered me in the past.  The fact that this much healing is going on tells me I had issues I was not dealing with, and was unaware of.  
I'm going to try sipping on homemade bone broth tonight.  

You could always try Bulletproof coffee in the mornings. Coffee has a mild laxative effect, and the healthy fats also help move things along. Other than that, you can try "overdosing" on magnesium, which is also a natural laxative when taken in higher doses.

Archived