Sweetness - first timer question

bonnynancy

Okay. So sugar and sugar substitutes are off limits on the W30. Fruit, although naturally sweet, is allowed in reasonable amounts. A small amount of fruit juice as a natural sweetener in compliant recipes is allowed. Other things that naturally contain sugars, such as kombucha, are allowed as long as they do not contain added sugar.

Am I good so far?

Here is where I get confused: I've read some posts that recommend certain foods/recipes, but when I look them up, I find sugars in the list of ingredients. For example, (and I'm not calling anyone out here, just trying to understand) I read a post that recommended making up a bunch of Nom Nom Paleo's sriracha as a W30 condiment. Sounds awesome, but the recipe I read on that site contains honey.

And actually, I have the same question with white potatoes. I thought they were off limits, but some folks have referred to them in their posts.

I'm not trying to cause an uproar. But if something is yummy AND compliant, I want to know about it! Thanks!

I'm sure someone with a little more experience will probably chime in after me but sugar in any form is out of the question while doing a Whole30. So are white potatoes. Here is the basic Whole30 program if you haven't had a chance to read it yet: http://whole9life.com/2012/01/whole-30-v2012/

Nom Nom Paleo has great recipes, but not all are Whole30 compliant so be careful. Some of them are a little more relaxed, just Paleo recipes, hence the use of honey as a sweetener.

So, I guess the bottom line is if you are starting the Whole30, white potatoes and honey are off limits. After you finish the 30 days (if you feel up to it) you can try reintroducing foods like honey. I would read this post-Whole30: http://whole9life.com/2012/01/ride-your-own-bike-2/

Good luck!!

You have it correct. I remember the siracha recipe and the member was going to leave the honey out or have it after the W30. White potatoes are not allowed but sweet potatoes are. The discussion about potatoes today was someone who hasn't started their W30 yet and her husband put potato puree in their soup. I have not seen anyone say potatoes or sugar in any form is okay. Fruit is much more than just sugar which is why a serving or two with a meal is fine as long as you aren't feeding a nasty sugar dragon like I would be. :) Does that all make sense?

There is also a ton of recipes that refer to life after whole30 ,most folks do reintroduce but stay 90-95% compliant.... The mods are great at editing/correcting/pointing things out, but being a public forum lots of people post all kinds of stuff in long threads.... so it must be taken in context....

So user beware, I know it can be confusing so check all ingredients, avoid non compliant recipes, and follow the templates.... When finished and transitioning to life after W30 be cautious and slow and only add back things that don't bother you physically or psychologically..... I honestly don't miss or crave a thing and almost done with a W90... I've never thought I had a sweet tooth but now I know if I start eating sugary, it leads to more and more before I know it ill be drinking a 2 liter of diet coke and 1/2 box of cereal before 7:00am.... Ewe gross!!!!

Archived