Moderate to Severe Depression and the Whole30

Hi everyone,

I wanted to start a new thread about an issue that I personally am dealing with and hope to recover from. 

Back in November 2012 when pregnant with my daughter I began suffering from severe depression and my OBGYN at the time put me on an SSRI (Selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor). Since then, my depression has gotten better but I still suffer from anxiety that has only gotten marginally better. Fast forward to 2018 and I have been on this medication for almost six years. 

Do not turn this into a debate about medication. Do not come in here and tell me to change and "to work harder."

I can tell you with a 100% certainty that I do not like being depressed - so don't treat me like I do. 

When I was introduced to the Whole30 I immediately jumped in and set goals for myself. One of these goals was to once and for all get myself into a better space physically and mentally to begin weaning myself from this medication. My post is meant as a safe space for those of us suffering from moderate to severe depression if you need a place to communicate with those of us who can relate to your situation. No one said this was going to be easy and, speaking for myself, I am here for you. Whoever you are. 

- Tori

• Administrators

Housekeeping: No one here is permitted to belittle or treat anyone poorly so if you have seen any posts about depression or anxiety or the folks that deal with that, which are not in keeping with our forum standards, please report them so that we can investigate. I speak for everyone here when I say that we wish you all the best in your goal of feeling better and recovery, whatever that might look like for you, medication or not!

Depression isn't something you can "smile" your way out of nor, in most moderate to severe cases, can you Whole30 your way out of. However, there are certain things that we really really recommend for anyone suffering from depression or anxiety. The first one is to go easy on yourself and understand that you are doing the best you can right where you are and that's enough. Second, eat enough food! Make sure you are eating enough and composing your meals well enough that you are easily making it 4-5 hours between. If that's not the case unfortunately symptoms tend to get worse, mostly because you're eliminating those serotonin bumping foods like sugars. So eat up. Third, include at least a fist sized serving of starchy vegetable at least once a day. We tend to say you will probably need more than someone not suffering from these conditions. If you find yourself sinking, check your starch quantities. Inadvertently going low/lower carb isn't the right path for most people with depression or anxiety.

Finally, we're here. Some of the mods have similar significant mental health diagnoses and most of us have worked with/coached folks in similar situations as yourself here on the forum. We can help to some degree. :) 

33 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

Housekeeping: No one here is permitted to belittle or treat anyone poorly so if you have seen any posts about depression or anxiety or the folks that deal with that, which are not in keeping with our forum standards, please report them so that we can investigate. I speak for everyone here when I say that we wish you all the best in your goal of feeling better and recovery, whatever that might look like for you, medication or not!

Depression isn't something you can "smile" your way out of nor, in most moderate to severe cases, can you Whole30 your way out of. However, there are certain things that we really really recommend for anyone suffering from depression or anxiety. The first one is to go easy on yourself and understand that you are doing the best you can right where you are and that's enough. Second, eat enough food! Make sure you are eating enough and composing your meals well enough that you are easily making it 4-5 hours between. If that's not the case unfortunately symptoms tend to get worse, mostly because you're eliminating those serotonin bumping foods like sugars. So eat up. Third, include at least a fist sized serving of starchy vegetable at least once a day. We tend to say you will probably need more than someone not suffering from these conditions. If you find yourself sinking, check your starch quantities. Inadvertently going low/lower carb isn't the right path for most people with depression or anxiety.

Finally, we're here. Some of the mods have similar significant mental health diagnoses and most of us have worked with/coached folks in similar situations as yourself here on the forum. We can help to some degree. :) 

Ladyshanny,

On a Google search I found an old forum from 2014/2015 that I felt the tone had been ruined by some less than favorable comments and I decided to start my own with a few disclaimers for a new safe space for myself and others.

I do not believe I can "Whole30 my way out of depression," though I am hoping with an improved attitude and body image that it may lighten me up a bit. A lot of people don't realize how many problems can stem from your weight and physical wellbeing - so that is the hope. 

I am glad there are moderators and coaches prepared to deal with myself and others in a similar situation. Sometimes I just have a hard day and need somewhere to get it out and find a support system.

Thank you :) 

-Tori

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Tmackeil said:

Hi everyone,

I wanted to start a new thread about an issue that I personally am dealing with and hope to recover from. 

Back in November 2012 when pregnant with my daughter I began suffering from severe depression and my OBGYN at the time put me on an SSRI (Selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor). Since then, my depression has gotten better but I still suffer from anxiety that has only gotten marginally better. Fast forward to 2018 and I have been on this medication for almost six years. 

Do not turn this into a debate about medication. Do not come in here and tell me to change and "to work harder."

I can tell you with a 100% certainty that I do not like being depressed - so don't treat me like I do. 

When I was introduced to the Whole30 I immediately jumped in and set goals for myself. One of these goals was to once and for all get myself into a better space physically and mentally to begin weaning myself from this medication. My post is meant as a safe space for those of us suffering from moderate to severe depression if you need a place to communicate with those of us who can relate to your situation. No one said this was going to be easy and, speaking for myself, I am here for you. Whoever you are. 

- Tori

I"m glad that you feel safe here and that you've reached out - support in a Whole30 when you have an ongoing mental health condition can be really beneficial!  As someone who has some significant mental health issues including Major Depressive Disorder, I can hopefully relate to where you are.  I expect to be on medication for the rest of my life and I"m totally okay with that! :)  That said, I do know that when I eat better, I feel better because I don't have the additional guilt, shame and negative self talk about eating junk or going on a binge to deal with on top of my already sometimes fragile mental state.  That said, it can be haaaaard to summon the energy and wherewithall to make much of an effort for a proper meal sometimes and in those times, I encourage you to do the best you can.  Sometimes tuna salad out of a plastic container with carrot babies right out of the bag is the best you can do and it's damn good enough!  

On a good day where you're feeling well, try and make a list of things you can make or eat that don't involve much effort so that you can stick to the program without a lot of effort.  Melissa talks about 'If/Then' in Food Freedom Forever and that's a good idea to do for those more difficult times too.  When I was off work for a while dealing with my situation, on the days that I just wanted to stay in bed all day, I used 'if/then'.  IF I want to stay in bed all day, THEN I will get up and have a shower and go back to bed' (and often then I didn't go back to bed because sometimes the hardest hurdle is making the first move).

Archived