Husband with Brassicaceae allergy - Help?

Mippa

Hi all! I'm new to Whole 30 and am planning on starting this in March after birthday/anniversary/friend visiting stuff! I want to go ahead and start planning ahead, but I have a strange question that often deters me from participating in a restrictive diet of any sort: my husband's dietary limitations.

My husband is allergic to anything in the Brassicaceae family - brussel sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, collard greens, mustard greens, kale, chard, etc. (I think that covers most of them). Therefore there's a considerable limit for nutrient-dense greens that we can incorporate into our diet, and cauliflower rice is entirely out of the question. :(

Any suggestions for other options in that regard? I can't even so much as cook these items in our house, as they are very aromatic (/fingerquotes) and the fumes make him start to throw up. Thanks in advance!

• Moderators

There should be plenty of veggies that will work for him. Try zucchini, winter squash, carrots, green beans, bell peppers, artichokes, sweet potatoes, snow and snap peas, potatoes, onions, tomatoes & tomato sauce, mushrooms, jicama, and it looks like spinach can be your go-to green.

You can do this!

I don't see why you couldn't rice other vegetables such as sweet potatoes, turnips, rutabagas, winter squash, or radishes...

In general, I just Googled "cauliflower rice alternatives" and a bunch of good resources came up... 

Archived