Can I have more food? Should I have less food?

audie

Hello! This is my first whole 30 and I am on day 12. Everything for the most part is going well so far, with the exception that I am getting SO hungry in the afternoons. I am not a super big woman; I'm 25 and 130 pounds (trying to lose a couple pounds/tone up). I feel like I have been eating MORE than usual and I am still hungry! 

For example, today I had~ 

- 3 eggs with spinach for breakfast (7am)

- an apple and cashews at snack (10am)

- mayo tuna salad & veggies with balsamic and oil (12 pm)

then came home from work and was STARVING around 3 pm..

- and ate an RX Bar, 3 slices of turkey, and about 10 carrots

HELP! Am I doing something wrong? Am I eating at the wrong time, or the wrong things? I would love advice on what could make me any less hungry in the afternoon so that I don't have to snack as much before dinner?

Thank you!

• Moderators

Welcome!  First, may I please ask that you don't cross post the same copy/paste message across multiple threads as per our forum rules. I've removed your other post tho I understand you may not have done it intentionally as we have a moderation filter on so maybe you just didn't see your post pop up.

Your breakfast has no fat so that's lacking and spinach when it cooks down is barely anything so you'll want to add some heartier veggies.  The morning snack is also an indicator that you're not eating enough at breakfast... your meals should get you 4-5 hours between without needing to snack.

i can't tell how big your lunch was but because your breakfast was too small and your lunch may have been on the smaller side, since nutrition is cumulative through the day and across days, it's not surprising that you're needing to snack again.

While you're getting your meals to the right portions, if you need to eat between meals, make it protein and fat and ideally veggies, not bars, fruit and nuts.  Bars are for emergencies only which being in your house with food available does not constitute an emergency and fruit and nuts are not satiating foods.  They can also cause problems with blood sugar and sugar cravings.

Basically, eat more.

Thank you very much for your response. I really appreciate you looking over this and I totally didn't mean to post twice!

You don't think that eating more fat/protein would cause weight gain? What types of veggies are good in the morning?

Any other suggestions are appreciated. 

Eating fat and protein will give you energy and balance out your hormones and keep you satiated. It's like magic.

What veggies do you like? Eat those for breakfast.

Personally, I like cooked, leftover roasted vegetables for my breakfast with eggs I cook in the morning.  Raw veggies are not my favorite and don't keep me full as long. I especially like green beans , asparagus, and sweet potatoes or butternut squash that have been roasted with olive oil, salt, and pepper. I prefer leftovers as a time saver.

I also like a bowl of chili for breakfast.

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, audie said:

Thank you very much for your response. I really appreciate you looking over this and I totally didn't mean to post twice!

You don't think that eating more fat/protein would cause weight gain? What types of veggies are good in the morning?

My favorite breakfast veggie during the week (because I prep everything on the weekend) is roasted brocolli tossed in a titch of coconut oil when it comes out of the oven and black sesame seeds. (I add fat to my protein usually also so the titch of coconut oil isn't the only fat)  On the weekends when I make 'fresh' breakfast that's not prepped in advance, my fave is spicy sauteed green beans with sesame oil.

I eat the same breakfast almost every weekday: A homemade turkey sausage patty (I can't eat eggs), spinach, kale or chard (about 1 cup cooked - which is a TON raw), about a cup of sweet potato (either left over fries, or plain baked), 1/2 large avocado and a cup of homemade bone broth with collagen peptides.  Before I added the bone broth (doctor's orders), I ate 2 of the sausage patties.  

I can't eat potatoes, but my 13 year old loves those with his breakfast (usually just leftovers).  I also like roasted butternut squash, leftover green beans, and roasted normandy vegetables from Costco (broccoli, cauliflower and carrot blend).

I've been eating this way almost a year, and I am amazed at how much food I can eat and maintain my weight loss!

On 2/8/2018 at 9:14 PM, audie said:

I am pretty sure that weight loss is not supposed to be the primary motivation for the whole30, but eating fat and protein will provide you with fuel and should not cause you to gain weight. I agree that you aren't eating enough at your meals. If you are finding that you need a snack to get to lunch or dinner, it means you aren't eating enough fat, most likely. I throw in a quarter to half an avocado with meal 1 and meal 2, and that has helped me to stop being hungry between meals. My favorite veggies in the morning are sauteed greens (spinach, kale) or steamed broccoli. I finished my first w30 in January and am still eating w30 meals (with some reintroduction days) because I love the way the meals make me feel afterwards and throughout the day. I don't have to snack anymore-so liberating! I lost a couple pounds too, and never felt hungry after the first week of learning how much I needed to eat. You have to find the amount of food that keeps you satisfied until the next meal. For me, adding fat was key-don't be afraid of it :) Good luck!

Archived