Ann is Doin' It Again!

Ann

Day 13 went well. Again, wanting some wine this evening, but the urge for it seemed to wane after I had a good dinner. Drank a lot of tea today -- I don't know why I haven't done this before, but I used the coffee pot to keep hot water on hand for tea, it was nice (it's cold outside). Was semi-productive, and semi-lazy today. Got the car through DEQ, and ran a couple of short errands, did the laundry, and prepared my taxes (ready to go as soon as the IRS starts accepting e-filing on Jan 30 ... anxious to file bc I'm getting a big refund, which will be my last step in paying off all my debt WAHOO!!!!! (not including the house, or the parts of the kids' student loans that are in my name...))

Okay, day 13:

B - kale/chard/spinach omelet with 1/2 avocado, 1/2 strip bacon, and sweet potato fritter

L - kale/chard/spinach salad w yellow peppers, cucumber, walnuts, olives, roast beef, olive oil/vinegar.

S - Small pear

D - delicata squash stuffed with ground beef, onions, apples and walnuts (and good spices), steamed green beans with a blob of ghee.

ec53f300625d11e2896422000a1fb003_6.jpg

bd6b2a6a628811e2948222000a1f9307_6.jpg

904fa19662a611e2a0d522000a1f970a_6.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ghee in Coffee Success! Ooh YUM! So good I will need to be careful or I might go through a whole jar of ghee in one day! :wub: I just whirred a cup of hot coffee and a tablespoon of ghee in my small countertop blender thing (came with my immersion blender). Deliciousness! I don't know why I was so reluctant for so long to give this a try.

dd48a600632811e292fc22000a1f9806_6.jpg

I haven't tried coconut oil and ghee - I'm thinking tomorrow morning is the perfect day to give it a try (SOOO glad to have a 3-day weekend!). :)

I did bake the squash first, but not quite enough. It was nice and soft on about half of each half (does that make sense?) and a bit too firm on the other side. I undercooked it on purpose thinking once I stuffed it and put it back in the oven it would finish cooking. Wrong! Next time I will cook squash till all the way soft, then stuff and pop back in. I like my squash really soft, do it just easily scoops off the skin. I know you can eat the skin on delicatta, but I prefer not to.

Two weeks in! So after two cups of coffee with ghee, and a fairly big breakfast at 9:30 this morning, I was seriously not even a little hungry until nearly 3:00. I reheated leftover stuffed squash, which was okay last night, but a little on the dry/boring side. I added a blob of homemade mayo to the top this afternoon, and all of the sudden, it was amazing! Mmmm. I still have two left in the fridge - lunch tomorrow, maybe breakfast, too! haha! So it was good that I had such a late lunch, because I put ribs in the crock pot later than I had planned, and they aren't going to be ready until 9pm. Not ideal, but my daughter is here for the night (one night only, quick visit), and we will undoubtedly be up late chatting/catching up, so a late dinner will be fine. (I made her a double batch of vegan Ethiopian lentil stew, which I will freeze into individual servings for her to take back to school).

B - Two fried eggs, full slice bacon, sauteed greens

L - Leftover stuffed delicatta squash with blob of homemade mayo

S - I haven't had a snack yet, but it's 6:30 and I'm feeling a little hungry and dinner isn't til 9. So I will probably have some nuts, olives and grapes leftover stuffed squash!.

S2 - SWYPO grapes (I used them as a "nibble item" while visiting with my daughter).

D - Family-Style Short Ribs from Everyday Paleo, green beans, and baked sweet potato (will share photo after dinner).

ef42bcc4636e11e2ae9922000a1f9b71_6.jpg

1bacabe4636f11e29a6422000a9e06c4_6.jpg

Still bubbling away, another three hours or so till it's ready...

7ef2cc38636f11e29d7122000a1f97c6_6.jpg

I purchased Kerrygold this weekend just to try the coffee! I totally forgot about it yesterday until I read your post on it. I did not forget this morning :). (Note - I am note w30 right now.) Loved it!

How was dinner? I could smell it from here!

After a good week or so of good sleep, insomnia returns Booo. Been tossing and turning since 3am, it's now 4:20. Trying to figure out what I did so different yesterday that might be disrupting my sleep. Too much starchy carbs? Too much fat (the ribs were really fatty)? Argh.

After a good week or so of good sleep, insomnia returns Booo. Been tossing and turning since 3am, it's now 4:20. Trying to figure out what I did so different yesterday that might be disrupting my sleep. Too much starchy carbs? Too much fat (the ribs were really fatty)? Argh.

I wondered when I saw you had posted as I knew it'd be very early with you (it's 12.30pm here in Ireland).

Sorry to hear you are having trouble sleeping-it may well be that the ribs were hard to digest. I wouldn't imagine it would be related to the starchy carbs-if anything I thought they'd help with sleep?

I wouldn't imagine it would be related to the starchy carbs-if anything I thought they'd help with sleep?

My thought too on the squash, that it would probably induce sleep.

Maybe your mind was extra awake after the stimulating late-night conversation with your daughter?

Terez

Kb - the ribs were ok, my son liked them more than I did. Too fatty for my taste really, and the delicious BBQ sauce seemed to disintegrate in the giant pool of juices and fat in the crockpot instead of coating the meat. I won't make it again -- the ribs were $25 (for 6#). Disappointing.

Summergirl and Terez - Sleep quality last night 45% despite 9+ hrs in bed. Maybe it was a combination of late dinner, hard to digest ribs and having my daughter home for such a quick visit. She is awesome and full of young energy, which I love, and it adds a real spark to our home, but I have a tendency to absorb all her drama and emotion (fire?) when we talk. I feel her pain, I feel her joy. Which I suppose could disrupt my sleep.

Okay, time to go make some breakfast and bulletproof coffee!

BTW here's the ribs -- I didn't bother with the green beans last night, just the potato and the ribs. I will have to up the veggies today, I was sort of neglectful in that area yesterday.

01f8296a63ee11e2a64d22000a9f1590_6.jpg

I'm full of posts today, huh? This is just simple venting this time ...

Today isn't off to a good start, I'm sort of feeling like killing all things. I was out of ghee for my eagerly anticipated bulletproof coffee (except for some ghee I made with salted butter), so I put a whole slab of no salt Kerrygold into a pan to make a fresh batch of ghee. Left it too long and burned it. Waste of expensive butter :(. Decided to try the coffee with the salted ghee (it really isn't that salty, I think most of the salt comes out w the milk solids). Poured scalding coffee on my hand while transferring from coffee pot to mixing carafe. Coffee wasn't completely gross, but not nearly as good as yesterday's. Maybe I should stick with my safe herbal tea. And since I didn't bother to do dishes last night, the kitchen is a total mess, which makes me crazy, and I'm tired and do not feel like cleaning it up -- something about day-old dishes makes them mentally harder for me to do than same-day dishes. Aargh.

Today got better.

Made a fresh batch of ghee (and didn't burn it the second time), and a double batch of mayo...

e13a99ec641a11e294d322000a1f8c09_6.jpg

Had a good breakfast, despite the bulletproof coffee mishap. (Note: That's 100% kale in my omelet this morning :D )

7368f8be641a11e283fe22000a1fa511_6.jpg

Decided at the very very last minute to run out the door with the kids to see a movie (Django Unchained - it was awesome), and as I was leaving, realized that it would be 3 1/2 hrs before I'd be able to eat, so ... grabbed quick "lunch" to eat in the car on the way: I ate some of the really expensive pouch of smoked albacore I bought yesterday (I ate about 4oz with my fingers right out of the pouch and it was YUMMY), 1/3 of a cucumber (which I gnawed on, the kids thought I was weird), a few grapes, and 1/2 a Lara Bar (by the time I started eating the Lara Bar, I decided I wasn't really hungry anymore). Drank water in the movie.

Dinner was a delicious and quick stir fry:

f2adbd42643f11e2ad7a22000a9f3090_6.jpg

Daughter is staying one more night, but going out with a friend tonight (hitting the road early tomorrow to make her 10am class), so I can get to bed early and hopefully get a really good night of rest. Day 15, success, and another weekend well navigated! Halfway there!!!

Day 16. Feeling a little low on kitchen inspiration tonight. Heating up the leftover ribs (maybe they're better second time around?), making a baked sweet potato to share with my son, and a bunch of steamed broccoli. Tomorrow I am going out to eat with a friend (hoping for a smooth W30 dining experience, haven't decided where yet ... Susan, do you know of a good W30-friendly place downtown you'd recommend? I'm thinking maybe Higgins, Veritable Quandary or Jake's ... mmmmmmmm.

B - Kale and mushroom omelet, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 strip bacon

L - Spinach salad with tomatoes, onions, yellow peppers, the rest of my smoked albacore (yum), olive oil/vinegar

D - Leftover ribs, baked sweet potatoes w ghee & cinnamon, and steamed broccoli with a dollop of homemade mayo

ccc469e8650a11e2b4ee22000a1fbe6d_6.jpg

ec771178650a11e29c6822000a1f9688_6.jpg

0d2e32f4651311e2800122000a1fbf61_6.jpg

Heading out for my first restaurant dinner since I started! Morton's Steakhouse. Looking forward to an awesome steak, and not worrying too much about the cost since there will be no liquor/wine on my tab!!

So we decided to sit in the bar and order from the happy hour menu - it was just so much less expensive, and just as tasty .... well, maybe not "just as" but very very good nonetheless. I had seltzer with lime, my friend had a couple of cocktails, and that was just fine with both of us. I would have loved a drink or a glass of wine, but I was able to enjoy myself just fine without. We ordered:

Tuna Tacos: Ahi (raw), wakame (seaweed) and pico de gallo, served on wontons shaped like taco shells. Of course, I said "no wontons please", and mine were served on these adorable round-cut small stacks of iceberg lettuce, sort of the size of a cracker. I ignored the creamy white topping that was to go with them,

and

Tenderloin Steak Tacos: Delicious steak bites and cabbage(?), fresh avocado, served with DELICIOUS chimichurri, served in flour tortillas. Of course I set aside the flour tortillas and ate it like a salad.

Delicious dinner, although I'm a little hungry already, it wasn't really enough. But I'll live until morning, I'm not hungry enough to bother with making a mini-meal/snack. I'm just feeling pretty dang strong for sitting in the bar with people drinking all around me, including my friend, and not giving in to temptation. Tiger. Blood.

B - scrambled eggs (ala the video on Derval's log - yummo, but not nearly as beautiful as Gordon Ramsay's), sauteed kale and mushrooms, 1/2 slice bacon

L - chocolate chili with avocado

S - apple

D - See above. :)

0d5df08c65dd11e2b92122000a9e0727_6.jpg

3008c48665dd11e295e122000a9e2965_6.jpg

New cookbook arrived in the mail today, wahoo! Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint "Healthy Sauces Dressings & Toppings"! 30Canandaigua mentioned it somewhere else on the forum, and I thought it sounded like a must-have. Glancing through it, I'm pretty excited about what I might be whipping up out of it!! Tonight, I did a "quick mushroom sauce" out of it, using my homemade chicken stock, and it was fab (very simple, nothing at all fancy).

Stopped at WholeFoods on my way home because I'm running out of everything. I had my son with me, and tomorrow is his birthday ... we got sidetracked by the bakery department. OMG they have some amazing looking stuff. Instead of birthday cake, which will be around here for days tempting me, he got three assorted cupcakes and a chocolate filled cannoli. I'm very aware that they are sitting on the dining table behind me right now. Glad tomorrow is the big day, and Mitch and his friend will chow all of them down in no time after dinner. Post-W30, I probably would have a little taste of at least the cannoli, and maybe the tiramisu cupcake... but not yet.

Okay, onto my meals. Day 18.

B - Two fried eggs, sauteed kale, 1/2 slice bacon

L - Pizzicato Greek salad, minus the feta and dressing, added chicken and my own olive oil/vinegar

S - a couple of bites of a Steve's PaleoKrunch bar - it was icky. Good thing, I shouldn't be eating that anyway.

D - WholeFoods perfectly plain rotisserie chicken, steamed cauliflower, quick mushroom sauce

ad1ebe0066a311e2902222000a1fa52b_6.jpg

c9e6b5ce66a311e29df022000a1fb07c_6.jpg

f600d46466a311e2a82b22000a9f1408_6.jpg

Oh Ann. The next time someone needs a special occasion treat, you HAVE to go to Crave, downtown Lake Oswego by Safeway, if you haven't been. Best cupcakes in the world. They were on Cupcake Wars and won. Everything there is gluten free.

Archived