Ann is Doin' It Again!

Ann

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad it's Friday, a glass of wine or two would sure be nice! haha! But it will be so much nicer to enjoy it in 12 days (probably 14 actually), when I can sip it guilt-free. Today is my son's 19th birthday. I made him three WHOLE slices of bacon this morning, and he requested pizza for dinner, which is currently en route via the pizza delivery guy. I ate a big bowl of curried chicken salad, and am stuffed, so the pizza shouldn't bother me (too much). I am, however, anxious for him and his friend to eat the darned cupcakes already.

Day 19 ... it seems to be going by fairly quickly. Again, weekends are the hardest, I would really love some wine. I remember feeling just like this last week, and I know I will feel very good when I wake up tomorrow, in part because I will be more rested, but maybe even more because I am showing myself I can do this.

B - spinach and red pepper omelet, 1/2 slice bacon, 1/2 avocado

L - spring greens salad with beets, red pepper, walnuts, roast beef, olive oil/vinegar, 1/2 avocado

D - Curried chicken salad, with apples, almonds, celery, green onion, and homemade mayo

9b345e80676511e2bcaf22000a1fbcb3_6.jpg

ce9057c0676511e2b46022000a1fb37a_6.jpg

Stopped at WholeFoods on my way home because I'm running out of everything. I had my son with me, and tomorrow is his birthday ... we got sidetracked by the bakery department. OMG they have some amazing looking stuff. Instead of birthday cake, which will be around here for days tempting me, he got three assorted cupcakes and a chocolate filled cannoli. I'm very aware that they are sitting on the dining table behind me right now. Glad tomorrow is the big day, and Mitch and his friend will chow all of them down in no time after dinner. Post-W30, I probably would have a little taste of at least the cannoli, and maybe the tiramisu cupcake... but not yet.

Birthdays - bring on the cake, the chocolates. I feel your "thinking", my dh's birthday cake sat in the trunk of my car for less than an hour while running errands and it was all I thought about . . . .

Sardines. I had sardines with breakfast. I've never had a sardine.

Decided to make Melissa (Abberantatavia)'s favorite breakfast - sauted spinach and sweet potatoes with a couple of fried eggs and then half a can of sardines on top. I went with TWO sardines, since I'm a beginner. Tasted similar to canned tunafish, and I didn't love it. Maybe with lunch or dinner would be better, especially since it's a new (and strong) flavor for me. [anyone know if I can freeze sardines?]

4a23540067d411e2b55122000a1f9be7_6.jpg

Note the cupcakes next to my plate. What is wrong with those young men for not eating them all gone last night?? What 19 year old boy can't manage TWO CUPCAKES?!!!

3dbaa15667d311e2947622000a9e138b_6.jpg

I got one of them down at least! haha!

I'd put those cupcakes in a big brown bag! Much easier for me if I don't see things.

On sardines, I haven't done this yet but I have read about putting one in the blender with salad dressing and making it "disappear" but still get the benefits from eating it.

I've had them in a salad where I mush them up and eat them covered with dressing.

Normally they're not something I choose to eat but twice (ever!) I've had a craving for them. So I keep a can on hand and try to eat it before the expiration date.

I bought some anchovies because Tom Denham wrote somewhere that he puts one anchovy on top of the bones when making bone stock. That seemed like a good way to "disguise" the little fish. :unsure:

Terez

Dinner at my dad's tonight to celebrate Mitch's bday, and my most-awesome stepmom made a compliant meal for all of us. :) I emailed her a list of "no trace of" items and "green light" items, and she did a great job. To be honest, this isn't far off from their typical meal, but still, I much appreciated her efforts to think of me.

B - Sardine. See above. Actually, sauteed spinach & sweet potatoes, two fried eggs, 1/2 slice bacon, and ONE sardine.

L - Mixed greens, tomatoes, artichoke, roast beef, olive oil/vinegar, 1/2 avocado

D - Baked salmon, roasted sweet potatoes & yams, zucchini squash, green salad with olive oil/vinegar

0bda968a683e11e2b4d922000a1fae83_6.jpg

3479c110683e11e2a67a22000a9f3cad_6.jpg

(not a glass of wine in the background, it's a pitcher of iced tea :P )

Three weeks down (AND another weekend successfully navigated)! Day 21 ...

Breakfast - 1/2 slice bacon, two fried eggs, sauteed spinach with a bit of coconut aminos. Left off the avocado this morning (not sure why), and did find myself wanting to graze more than usual today.

Lunch - As I said, I was grazing, so didn't really eat a "proper lunch", which lead to other afternoon issues involving a big bag of red grapes. "Lunch" was a handful of deli roast beef, a handful of olives, a couple of spoonfuls of coconut manna, two 12 oz cans of V8, and a big bunch of red grapes, spread out over the afternoon. Not good, but I suppose at least I ate nothing off-plan.

Dinner - Smoked paprika chicken, coconut-almond green beans (ooh wow these beans were soo good... from Well Fed).

fac7a4a868e911e2ae8022000a9e2946_6.jpg

361a4f3868ea11e2b41b22000a1f9a15_6.jpg

The green beans look good too! I resisted buying a bag of sliced almonds the other day. Was thinking I'd like them in chicken salad but realized I'd like them in everything. Best not to have the bag in the house!

Day 22 - no pix today, partly bc my food wasn't very interesting, and partly bc I've been stuck to my TV trying to catch up w Downton Abbey (so didn't feel like fussing around on the computer in the other room)!

B - 2 fried eggs, steamed broccoli/cauliflower, 1/3 avocado, 1/2 slice bacon. I was in a rush so my eggs were undercooked (ew), so I only had a few bites around the edges where it was more cooked.

L - the usual.

S - red grapes, a few almonds

D - leftover chicken quarters, leftover green beans (just as delish the second day), 1/2 sweet potato (made into fries).

Day 23. One week to go :) I gave the candy near the register a good look tonight, and thought, "If I eat one of those in the car on the way home, I don't have to tell anyone ... how much harm can it do?" Stupid inner devil voice. I think I'm PMSing, that's all. I don't usually get urges for candy. Of course I walked away.

B - scrambled eggs with spinach, handful of black olives, can of V-8

L - spring greens with roasted beets, roast beef, olive oil/vinegar

S - fresh pineapple (while I was cooking)

D - Bora Bora Fireballs from Well Fed, stir fried veggies, fresh pineapple

Not sure about the Bora Bora Fireballs - they sort of flattened out when I was cooking them, and were sort of soggy as far as meatballs go. Maybe I didn't drain the pineapple well (plus I used fresh instead of canned). They tasted pretty good though :)

a942860a6a8f11e2928c22000a9f3092_6.jpg

c23d20486a8f11e2990322000a9f192c_6.jpg

961e0b246a9111e2a30c22000a1f9683_6.jpg

Day 22 - no pix today, partly bc my food wasn't very interesting, and partly bc I've been stuck to my TV trying to catch up w Downton Abbey (so didn't feel like fussing around on the computer in the other room)!

I am now 4 episodes in to season 1. I can't get enough of it!

Day 24!

B - scrambled eggs with spinach, red pepper and onion, 1/2 avocado, slice of bacon

L - mixed greens with roasted beets, tomatoes, 1/2 avocado, and smoked albacore, with olive oil/vinegar

S - very small handful of almonds

D - Whole Foods rotisserie chicken, steamed broccoli with ghee, apple slices, blob of Karam's Garlic Sauce (yuu-UUM!)

d49fe9146b5211e28b9422000a1f8af5_6.jpg

f70542246b5211e2a56722000a1f9d88_6.jpg

17858acc6b5311e2a8b922000a1f8ac2_6.jpg

50366d3c6b5311e2a0a022000a1f968b_6.jpg

Day 24.5 and it's over. Well, not really over, but my Whole30 became a Whole24.5 tonight.

I'm okay with it though, 24 days is a real accomplishment, and my choice tonight was just a choice tonight, not the end of my NORMAL choice of eating a mostly paleo/primal diet. What happened is I had an unexpected errand after work, which kept me out until almost 8pm, at which time I was truly ravenous. And tired -- things have been exceptionally busy at work, leaving me drained at the end of the day. And I didn't have any thawed meat or anything planned for dinner that would be quick and easy. I ordered a delivery pizza on my way home, and picked up a bottle of wine. I know I know, I could have probably picked something up at the grocery store which didn't require a whole lot of prep work, but I wanted pizza, and wine. And I went for it. I had three pieces of (veggie) pizza, and am still nursing the first pour of wine. It will be interesting to see how my body responds to this "massive assault" of gluten, dairy, and alcohol. :wacko:

B - Scrambled eggs with peppers and onions, 1/2 avocado, slice of bacon, 1/2 banana

L - Mixed salad greens, roasted beets, tomatoes, orange pepper, leftover chicken, grapes

D - Pizza & wine. :ph34r:

784c66e46c2711e2990322000a9f192c_6.jpg

b69349cc6c2711e28ac522000a9f141e_6.jpg

e3311d1a6c2711e2b0f022000a9f1369_6.jpg

***Gasp!!!*** :o You sure took me by surprise with that!

So it's a Whole24.5 for you. (What a rebel -- a "whole" fraction!)

Hope you savored every bite and sip!

It's been a good journey. I enjoyed following along.

Terez

So as I confessed, Thursday night. I had 2 glasses of wine, 3 pieces of pizza, and fell asleep in the couch. 63% sleep quality (per my sleep app). Woke up feeling like I drank the whole bottle. I guess the "floodgate" had opened and I'm allowing myself a few days now of wild abandon. Friday, I had s meatloaf sandwich for lunch, and happy hour with co-workers, red wine and steak bites. The biggest issue so far was this afternoon -- cross country skiing (which was awesome, SO much fun. perfect weather), we stopped for lunch and I had a beer and a sandwich. Half an hour later had sharp stomach pains for 15 minutes or so. The pizza Thursday didn't do it to me (or maybe I just slept thru the "disruption"), the sandwich Friday was fine. but the beer + sandwich today was rough (maybe it was 3 days in a row of gluten that caught up with me?). I plan to get back on a mostly paleo/primal diet beginning Monday. Probably will start a new log in the post-30 section.

I have been weighing (sorry, I have trouble sticking to this particular rule), so I know in this Whole 24, I dropped 8#. I'm at my lowest weight since I started W30/paleo (total weight loss since July 2012 = approx 20# (lost most of this last summer/fall, gained some back over the holidays now back to lowest from last fall).

So I didn't make 30 this time (but i did last time), it's okay. I still learned a lot and got a lot out if it. I had a few "naughty" days as I wrapped it up, not ideal but not a catastrophe. I will be continuing this journey. Riding my bike for a while, and prob back for another W30 in the summertime.

Archived