Connie's first whole 30

CSB1960

Day 1....done! whew, wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be ;) . I was not really hungry for meal 2 or meal 3. I waited until after working out to eat meal 3. Felt fine until late this afternoon, got sluggish and cranky but I expected to feel this way, been down this road before (just not whole 30) I sure miss my diet coke, bad habit I'm going to break. I only thought about it a couple times today. I stayed busy to keep my mind off diet coke.

I'm too tired to really post much tonight, I doubt if I can stay up late enough to bring in the new yr but I'm gonna try.

Meal 1

2 eggs, 2 slices of bacon, chopped apple, green tea

Meal 2

egg salad, 2 clementines

Meal 3

ground beef patty (we have our own beef/pork) green beans (I raised in the garden) with mushrooms and sweet potato hash. Wasn't really hungry until I started eating, then darn it was good!

I realize I need more veggies, but honestly was not hungry. Will have more veggies tomorrow.

I know what you mean about the soda. I was crazy addicted to Diet Pepsi. Tomorrow will be one whole year since I have had one. It took me three rounds til I was finally able to break that little habit. Just don't let it in the house...hang in there. It gets better and it is sooooooooo worth it. Try sparkling water with orange or kombucha...good stuff.

Day 2 is drawing to a close, no hiccups. Still feeling a bit sluggish, had a slight headachs earlier today, but it has gone away.

I have a few reasons for doing a whole 30, mainly to break the vicious cycle I've been in for the last 4-5 yrs. Jumping around from different eating plans (I have all Tosca Renos Eat Clean stuff) I've hired IFBB fitness pros (twice) lost wt, but couldn't wait to quit eating 5-6 friggin meals a day, of course I gained wt back plus more, each yr I get fatter and fatter, I have a history of beating myself up with way too much cardio/wts because I knew my eating was horrible. The thing is, I know how to eat right, I've just fallen slave to junk food addictions over the yrs and "cutting back" just doesn't cut it anymore. I always find an excuse to eat something less healthy..too busy, too tired, too stressed, you name it, I've used it as an excuse. I refuse to go back to eating egg whites and oatmeal which is what many fitness pros recommend. I've tried more than once in 2012 to get back on the diets I got from fitness pros, 2 days tops and I'd head for the nearest drive thru for some food that has some dam taste! Sad thing is, hubby and I are farmers (and I work outside the farm). We raise cattle/hogs and have our own meat. We also garden, there is no excuse for me allowing myself to get so heavy and eat so poorly. I do believe certain foods are addictive.

* Acid Reflux-is back with a vengence. When first diagnosed, it scared the crap out of me. I was put on Nexuim to heal the hiatal hernia, Drs then told me I'd be on it the rest of my life. I refused to believe that so I cleaned up my diet, lost wt and took myself off of meds. I also did some research and the side effects of Nexium and all proton inhibitors are not good. Fast forward a few yrs, and I'm suffering with reflux again. Whole 30 is my promise to my body that I will start taking better care of it.

* Stop being a slave to food, stop letting food control me-I love the idea of 3 full filling meals a day instead of eating 5-6 times and NEVER being satisfied. I packed a cooler for quite some time, gosh that got old!

* I need to lose at least 40 lbs (50 would be ideal) I', 52 yrs old and in the last couple of yrs my increasing wt is causing health issues (sleep apnea, reflux, joint pain) I am not on any meds yet and I want to stay that way! My wt is slowing me down on the types of cardio and circuit training I like to do. The impact just kills me my feet/knees these days. I also trail ride/camp horse back and I really struggle these days getting on my horse with this added weight. I have short legs and tall horses! :D

I don't expect miracles in 30 days, but I've done something similar to whole 30 a few yrs ago and I know I can at least get rid of the reflux and bloat. Losing the extra wt is going to take some time. I love reading success stories, but I'm also trying to be realistic in what I can expect at the end of my first whole 30.

Meal 1

2 strips bacon

1 egg

butternut squash

Meal 2

left over ground beef patty

2 eggs tossed with home made mayo

carrot sticks, black olives

banana

Meal 3

Pork chop

green beans w/mushrooms

sweet potato

clemetine

Felt a little queasy after meals, not really hungry except for breakfast. My body is in shock I guess...

Day 3 down, in spite of feeling like crap from vertigo and not having much of an appetite until late this afternoon, I stayed whole30 compliant.

I'm struggling with not counting calories or managing portions..don't know why really, because even counting calories and watching portions (for short periods of time) I just kept getting fatter. It really is a recipe for defeat (for me anyway) it's so stressful. I also struggle not to weigh. I don't fight sugar demons, (my hubby loves his sweets, and we always have them in the house, but they rarely temp me) but I have plenty of other demons to fight that have sabotaged my eating plans over the years.

Getting behind on daily journaling

Day 4-yesterday

I actually started feeling human again by late after noon, did circuit training after work then bam after dinner I had stomach cramps, indigestion, bloat and was down right miserable...this sucks

meal 1

banana on the way to work (running behind)

egg/veggies scramble I cooked at home but ate at my desk

meal 2

seasoned ground beef (master recipe from ISWF)

spaghetti squash

chopped apple sprinkled with raisins

meal 3

pork patty

sweet potato

green beans w/mushrooms

clemintine

Increased water intake today and had BLACK coffee, lol. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be

Must be the increase in fat/protein making me so miserable. Fruit and veggies are pretty much my daily staples.

Well my first week is done! Days 1 & 2 were not bad, but I did have nausea after each meal, days 3 & 4 were THE WORST! I felt awful no energy, cranky, yuk.... days 5,6 & 7 my energy was back and I started feeling much better, no cravings (except diet coke the first few days) but by 6 & 7 I was getting the munchies, not cravings, munchies. I'm thinking this comes from the nausea finally going away and yrs of believing(and doing) we must eat 5-6 times a day. I will be honest though, I'm VERY disappointed that I'm so dang bloated, gassy, and still having stomach distress. I've read on different posts here that this is normal...I'm struggling to believe that....but I'm trying to keep in mind the positive things from my first week which are:

*sleeping so much better

*energy has increased a lot (i feel human again)

*no cravings (I don't have a sugar or bread dragon)

* I like 3 meals a day! I do NOT need to eat 5-6 mini meals to feel good and have energy all day long, and I didn't feel like I was gonna starve!

still struggle with:

*eating more fat (can't help but wonder if this is contributing to my stomach distress)

*not getting on the scale to weigh myself (I came close so many times! guess I have a scale dragon to slay)

*still kinda worry about the amount of food I'm eating (calories in/calories out) I exercise consistently (mild to heavy wt training, moderate cardio) but I have a desk job, and I'm 52 so I know I'm not a calorie burning machine, lol

I know it's only been 7 days, but I'm concerned about digestive distress. I've done an elimination diet before (Dax Moy) and by the 4th day the bloat was gone, no reflux either, which I been having mildly every day this week. The reflux concerns me, this is one of the main reasons I joined Whole 30, I don't want to go back on meds. I'm not going to give up yet, but I don't want to end up back at the doctors office with a tube down my throat or back on meds.

Over all my first week is a success. I do get a little cranky at all the dang dishes I seem to mess up. I like to cook, but I'm such a messy cook!

Day 8-week 2

Headaches were back, da-um, feel sluggish, cranky today for some reason

Meal 1

butternut squash

2 sl bacon

1 egg

1/2 large chopped apple/sprinkle of raisins

Meal 2

shredded chicken with homemade mayo

big salad -lettuce, spinach, black olives, grape tomatoes,mushrooms

sweet potato

Meal 3

egg salad

other half of chopped apple/raisins (not very hungry, so bloated not sure if I can eat much)

confession time....I did weigh today because my stomach is so dang bloated and my jeans are too tight in the waist. I was shocked that I had not gained wt. I'm not feeling the love today...I know its early in the game yet and I sound like a broken record, but da-um. I'm so bummed about my digestive issues. I will be getting some digestive enzymes to see if that helps. I've had to have several conversations with myself today, kept reminding myself that I am sleeping so much better, and I enjoy the foods that I'm eating......

Day 9-WOW what a difference day makes! I cannot believe how much better I feel today. Woke up without feeling like a bloated time bomb! THIS is what I've been waiting for.

Meal 1

sausage-butternut squash hash

black coffee

Meal 2

sweet potato soup (used buttnernut squash soup recipe from Everyday Paleo cook book)

Big salad-lettuce, spinach,tomatoes, black olives, carrots, mushrooms and dab of home made mayo

2 hard boiled eggs (after eating eggs I started to feel a bit bloated with some reflux, may need to cut back on eggs since no digestive issues after breakfast of no eggs)

Meal 3

beef of some kind

sweet potato and veggies of some kind

Did cardio during my lunch hr, will do upper body wt training after dinner this evening. I keep forgetting to add my workouts to my journal.

Day 10-felt pretty good most of the day, but by late evening I'm so dam crabby I can't stand myself. I'm SICK of the kitchen, SICK of it. I've done more dishes in the last 2 weeks than in the last yr! (well it seems that way) I had weird dreams last night, not about food, just weird stuff. So I woke up tired and sluggish from no sleep, but started feeling better late morning, now I'm just tired and cranky. Time for a shower and bed. I'm very sore from wt training last night, I also did cardio during my lunch hr at work today. Was gonna train legs but just dont have the energy, I did a stretching DVD instead.

Bloated again, da-um. I haven't been anywhere to get some digestive enzymes. I am taking probiotics again

Meal 1

eggs,spinach, spaghetti squash, shredded sweet potato scramble

Meal 2

Tuna w/home made mayo, chopped apple, sprinkle of raisins

*late afternoon got very hungry so I had a few slivered almonds and mini box of raisins

Meal 3

zucchini noodles and seasoned ground beef, turkey slices with home made mayo and shredded broccoli mix

Day 12-this week has been a roller coaster of ups and downs...bouncing off the walls with energy one day,only to feel like a slug the next. Gotta hit the grocery tomorrow I'm out of sweet potatoes and butternut squash. Can't recall every meal I've had the last 2 days, but it's been pretty much the same all week. I'm the only one eating whole 30 so I just eat whatever I cook until its gone instead of changing things up every day like I did at first. Tried so many recipes all at once, then get pissed/bummed because my kitchen looked like a bomb went off...I'm learning...still have to take it a day at a time.

Earlier today I put some sirloin steak in the crock pot and added potatoes (white, I know they are a no-no but I had no sweet potatoes) carrots and mushrooms. It was very tasty! Even hubby who doesn't like veggies really liked it! I made certain to get more carrots and mushrooms than potatoes, but I felt like I needed some starchy carbs to have enough energy for my workout. I'm sure many would tell my to start over because of the potatoes, but I'm not going to..this is MY whole 30 and I've done a dam fine job so far with my meals, for that I'm proud of myself because there have been days when I really struggled to stay on track and I pulled through! IMO any day of not giving into munchies or cravings is success. Still get the diet coke demon some days, but so far I haven't caved. :D

Week 2 drawing to a close! My digestive discomfort is easing up (probiotics and enzymes I'm sure are whats helping)

I decided I'm not going to log each meal every day, it was starting to remind of all the logging/counting I did on My Fitness Pal and Fitbit websites. To keep from wasting food, I pretty much the same things daily. When I run out of "left overs" then I fix a few different veggies dishes and eat that until its all gone. My smain staples are sweet potatoes, butternut squash, lettuce greens, green beans, apples and clemetines. Eggs, beef, pork my main protein. Salmon and chicken once in awhile.

Some positive things happening:

*I'm really liking not worrying about getting hungry! If I know I'm gonna have a busy day, and it will be quite a few hrs between meals, I just eat a little more at meal time.

*My energy is finally stabilizing (fingers crossed) had several days of ups and downs, awful! Not getting the munchies quite as often.

*I don't feel the bloat pressure that I was feeling, that "gosh its hard to breath bloat"

Day 18-week 3...can't believe week 3 is coming to an end in few days!

Some good things are finally happening:

*No reflux-(probiotics and digestive enzymes are helping I'm sure)

*Energy levels are stable, first time in over a week that I haven't had an energy crash!

*I feel happy!

*I have the energy to increase my workout intensity (don't want to push it too much yet)

Some not so good:

*Clothes are still tight in the waist

*No regular BMs which contributes to tight waist bands....(I was regular befor whole30)

*Last few nights not sleeping so well

Day 21-My energy is still good most of the time, however I'm very bummed that my clothes are still very tight in the waist. I'm still not having BMs, finally broke down and drank some Magnesium citrate...took nearly 24 hrs for that to work! I will finish out my last nine days, but I'm not convinced I will feel the whole 30 magic, lol I believe my supplements (not whole 30) are responsible for my reflux disappearing,. I think the vitamins, probiotics, and enzymes that I HAVE to take to eat this way is what has been helping my digestive distress.

I don't plan on eating crap when my whole 30 is over, but I will be eating less fat and protein following the basic template as close as I can. It makes no sense to me that I have to take supplements to eat whole 30. I realize protein and fat are very important, but I truly don't believe I need so much if my body has a hard time digesting them. What about "listen to your body" comments we read so often? If I listen to my body, it's telling me I don't need so much protein and fat. I also realize many will not agree with me, but I've had this body for 52 yrs and I know a little something about how it functions. I have a desk job, some days I put in a lot of hrs on my butt. I am consistent with exercise, but I still do not burn very many calories except on weekends when I'm doing stuff on the farm with hubby or my horses.

I'm not sorry I'm doing whole 30...it's really helping me break some bad eating habits (snacking when not hungry, getting on the scale several times a week , eating when stressed at work,etc) I've created new habits like batch cooking no matter how tired I am. In the past I would have good intentions of batch cooking but by Sunday afternoon I'd be tired from catching up on house work, laundry, farm chores that I'd say "I'll do it tomorrow" but by now I've excepted the fact that I MUST do this if I want to continue to eat real food that will keep me full and satisfied, killing my urges to snack. I do like to cook so that's a plus (I just hate the dam mess I make)

Some positive things happening:

*I'm really liking not worrying about getting hungry! If I know I'm gonna have a busy day, and it will be quite a few hrs between meals, I just eat a little more at meal time.

*My energy is finally stabilizing (fingers crossed) had several days of ups and downs, awful! Not getting the munchies quite as often.

*I don't feel the bloat pressure that I was feeling, that "gosh its hard to breath bloat"

Nice! When I came to the realization that I didn't have to "worry" about getting hungry, was when I started feeling motivated to continue with this lifestyle. I'm still going through the whole bloat pressure thing myself this time around - somedays are good, somedays are great, somedays are a challenge, right? but the whole munch thing is old news for me too :) .

Went hiking yesterday with hubby...I didn't eat lunch before we left because I was not hungry (had good filling breakfast) We hiked for hours and I did not even begin to get hungry until we were back in the truck heading home! In the past I would have been starving, light headed, shaky and cranky...hurray for wholesome food/nutrition!

Archived