Lenten Whole30 2/14-4/1

MeganSchallom

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Vic22 said:

Hello everybody,

I'm also in for a a lenten whole 30 starting Wednesday 14th (my first whole30), going well until now! Had some nausea yesterday in the afternoon, I figure it was a mix of getting used to the new foods and being still hungry after lunch.

Also, I'm on sync with you, @Ksprljan, as I'm living in Vienna, Austria :).

Today's menu: breakfast was scrambled eggs and some banana with tahini, roasted veggies for lunch (plus some olives), and a big niçoise salad (lettuce, tomatoes, onion, olives, tuna, hard boiled egg) for dinner with some carrot with red pepper flakes and guacamole as a side.

Wednesday's dinner was a shrimp and pineapple curry with roasted sweet potatoes and cashews (+ a side salad: lettuce, tomatoes and an orange) - bliss!

Wishing you all a pleasant continuation!! We can do this!

Hi @Vic22 - your note about nausea and then your rundown on meals twigged me to pop over here and have a quick check-in. Particularly concerning is the lack of protein on your lunch. It's no wonder you were hungry after lunch.

Our recommendation for meal composition is 1-2 palms of protein (or 3-4+ eggs), 2-3+ cups of veggies (more if it's salad greens) and 1-2 servings of fat at every meal. 

If I was going to re-make your menu for today it would look more like this: 3 eggs scrambled over 2-3 cups of leftover roasted veggies and topped with half an avocado. Lunch: 2-3 cups of roasted veggies alongside a can of salmon mixed with homemade mayo and all topped with the olives. Dinner:  same salad but make sure you have at least 1-2 palms of protein.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I, too, am doing a Lenten W30! Excited that so far I've done well! 

The biggest challenge I've found so far is not chewing gum. I work in a hospital, and I am constantly close to people so I am very conscious about my breath. I used chewing gum as a constant means of freshness, and now I don't have that. I can't always be running back to the office to brush my teeth, so I would like to find an alternate to this. 

Look forward to journeying this time with all of you!

26 minutes ago, itsyourcaptain said:

The biggest challenge I've found so far is not chewing gum. I work in a hospital, and I am constantly close to people so I am very conscious about my breath. I used chewing gum as a constant means of freshness, and now I don't have that. I can't always be running back to the office to brush my teeth, so I would like to find an alternate to this. 

https://whole30.com/2016/05/whole30-fresh-breath/

My personal strategies are to always have floss picks, drink lots of water, & chew on fennel seeds. 

@Vic22 So glad to have someone in the neighborhood. I love Vienna! 

With this being my third Whole30, I think my body knows what’s happening, so I did not have the hangover, headaches or other craziness. I am feeling less tired and I love that! Sleeping better too! 

@angledge thanks for the recipes. I will definitely be trying them!

I am actually only on day 2, since I had to repeat day 1 after having gum on the 14th (and melatonin at night which has stevia) without even thinking!!!

This is my 4th whole30 and I am really hoping to finally see some improvement in my sleep. I am, like, the world's worst sleeper seriously. EVERYTHING affects my sleep. I can't even have a conversation that's even slightly emotionally-charged after like 9pm without having severe insomnia! It's so frustrating. I need to quit caffeine but it's been so hard since I can't get on top of sleep enough to feel like I can get past the withdrawal.

I posted in the troubleshooting section, but I'll ask here too: does anyone have issues with appetite in the morning? I used to be starving for breakfast within like 20 minutes of waking up, but now I feel like I'm going to hurl even thinking about eating anything except, like, an apple or an RX bar. Not ideal! So, do I make a big breakfast off the template and just force down as much as I can every morning, in hopes my body will get used to it and my hormones will regulate? 

Hope everyone is doing well!

Here I am on R1D2.  I thought that yesterday was a struggle primarily due to a water main break that has left me (and my neighbours) without running water since Wednesday.  Not having running water for washing veggies, cooking & clean up left me scrambling with my menus ... I do have bottled water for drinking and cleaning up but...  yeah for frozen vegetables...  Meals yesterday R1D2 were:

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled with mushrooms, sliced orange peppers, pineapple  & olives (I discovered that eggs within an hour of waking is going to be an acquired taste)

Lunch: chicken breast served on a nest of spinach with a Mediterranean mix (Europe’s Best frozen) vegetables, avocado & some mor chunks of pineapple 

Dinner:  chicken breast, asparagus, sweet potatoes & avocado 

i didn’t get a cup of coffee and suffered the consequences today.

other than the egg issue I felt like I had adapted to my circumstances and had a pretty good day!

R1D2. Today... woke up with a killer headache that has lasted most of the day.  I haven’t eaten much today just snacksevery 3 or 4 hours and I did wait until noon to finally have some coffee with compliant almond milk.  I just felt nauseous all day so while I only ate and drank compliant foods and fluids, I didn’t have any full meals.  I’m feeling somewhat better tonight so hope that I will have a better day tomorrow.

Good morning! Day 4 started off with me already sick of eggs. Ugh! Lunch today will be pork chops with oven roasted veggies, dinner leftover veggies and turkey breast grilled and mixed salad. I have dried sour cherries, almonds, hazelnuts, banana, apple, pineapple, pomelo available to have with each meal.

The hardest thing for me is all the food prep. I love cooking and my kitchen is my haven! But I also have a full time job and two kids (one pre-teen, which is exhausting on its own) and I like to work out. Spending hours in the kitchen prepping is just too much. I know I can do it, and I know I will feel better and be healthier but it takes a lot of time. Sorry for the rant. Hoping everyone has a good day!

So I like nuts as a snack and somehow even the natural ones say they've been manufactured in a place that "may have" been in contact with soy, etc. Does anyone know if that matters or  does Anyone have suggestions on where to get nuts, maybe Trader Joe's? I live in nyc and you'd think it'd be easier lol. Thanks!

By the way Day 4 is almost ending and the cravings today kicked in. It was so difficult! 

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, ndelarosa said:

So I like nuts as a snack and somehow even the natural ones say they've been manufactured in a place that "may have" been in contact with soy, etc. Does anyone know if that matters or  does Anyone have suggestions on where to get nuts, maybe Trader Joe's? I live in nyc and you'd think it'd be easier lol. Thanks!

By the way Day 4 is almost ending and the cravings today kicked in. It was so difficult! 

Those kinds of statements are for people with severe allergies, it's the company covering its posterior in case equipment didn't get cleaned as thoroughly as it should've been and someone has an allergic reaction to something. For Whole30 purposes, it's fine -- just read the ingredient list, and as long as what's on the actual ingredient list is ok, the product is ok.

Do try not to depend on nuts too much. They don't have a great Omega-3 to Omega-6 ratio, they're easy to eat mindlessly and therefore overeat, and they cause digestive issues for lots of people. Also, you really shouldn't need snacks between meals once you get the size of your meals worked out. Each meal should keep you satisfied 4-5 hours at a time. If you do need to eat between meals, it's best to try to have a combo of protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three. Packs of olives and some carrot sticks, hard boiled eggs and mayo, guacamole and leftover chicken, that kind of thing.

Thanks for this! I just need other snacks to mix it up, I don't eat nuts every day. My metabolism is still catching up. The problem is even when I have a large plate with hearty foods, I get full as I'm eating but will get hungry a few hrs later. My work schedule is hectic so I never had a balance with eating meals at certain times. Ineat lunch at 1 and I can't always bring dinner to work bc I don't always work past 6 but then there are days I'm at work untill 7 or 8 and can't eat until 9 or 10. It's def a change but I'm in it now and won't quit. 

Made it through day 4 and still feeling good! I work nights and someone brought donuts today. The candy drawer is full too. I'm staying as far away as possible. Normally I'd be eating way too much of candy and probably having a donut, but I really need to cure my sugar dragon with this whole 30! It's hard when it seems like everyone else around you is eating whatever they want. I just keep telling myself this will be worth it and I don't need all that sugar.

Hey everyone! Welcome to Day 5. 

So far I'm pretty happy with my progress. I made it through Day 4 without wanting to kill anything! I did notice that my performance at the gym yesterday was lackluster, to say the least. But that should pass. Last night was also a bit of a challenge - my wife & I had a good friend visiting & he's an amazing chef. He cooked an absolutely delicious dinner for us AND he made it almost entirely Whole30! It was hard to abstain from the cheese sauce, the wine, & the dessert. But I can't really complain - he made a tri-tip steak marinated in garlic, ginger, coconut aminos, & olive oil (SO GOOD), garlic -flavored mashed cauliflower, Brussels sprouts roasted with ghee & prosciutto, & asparagus with a compliant mayonnaise sauce! I ate like a Queen! 

Today I had a bacon & veggie omelette for breakfast. I've got a whole chicken in the smoker & I'm planning to make @Tom Denham's turnip salad as a side. I've stick got spaghetti sauce & zoodles left, so that will be lunch. 

Hey all! The fam and I all came down with a cold so the last couple of days have been tough. I’ve been able to stick to the plan Thanks to pre-planned meals. One benefit of being sick is those symptoms covered any from food changes so I’ve been ok. Also upped my water intake thanks to la croix- they’re on sale at target if anyone’s interested. 

I’m starting up my plan for this week and was wondering what veggies you guys use? I made a big back of roast potatoes, sweet potatoes, beets and onions which I’ve been having with sautéed spinach &tomatoes but I’m over the potatoes. It leaves me feeling heavy so I’m looking to change it up. 

Good morning Day 6! First week almost done. 

I am doing quite well. Except for all the food prep. Bodywise I am great! Starting to feel in my clothes that my body is going through some changes. I also seem to be going to the toilette to pee ver often. I usually drink a lot of water so I have not made changes in that respect but it seems to be making its way through my body much faster.

i had last week off from work and today is my first day back. Some things will be easier - too busy to snack, however I will have much less time for grocery shopping and food prep.

I need some breakfast ideas that do not include eggs. Please help. 

Have a great day all!

9 hours ago, Ksprljan said:

You can eat anything for breakfast. If you're looking for specific recipes, I posted a breakfast casserole recipe that has four eggs in a 9 x 13 baking dish but it doesn't taste eggy at all. Sometimes I like to eat soups for breakfast (warm, filling). One I really like is Mel Joulwan's gingered zucchini soup

So today is Day5 for me, yesterday the only thing I wanted to kill was potentially myself. I’ve had a headache since Day2 and feel nauseous when I try to eat most eggs and sadly the egg roll in a bowl was for me a taste bud disaster.   I’ve had to deal with a water main break that left me and my neighbours without water from Wednesday afternoon until Friday evening. We are still on a boil water advisory so that kind of makes meal prep and clean up a bit more of a pain.  Because of this I’m sort of cranky and way more whiny than normal!  I did buy the Whole30 Day by Day and it has kept me sane and allowed me to continue.  I’ve stayed 100% compliant with the foods but not the meal composition and according to the tips and hacks in the book that is okay...especially in the first week as I adjust.  Today I inched closer to what breakfast should include...still not enough veggies but I’m trying.  Lunch will be a beef stew with olives as my plated fat.  Plated fats are a new concept for me.  So much to learn.

I hope everyone is doing well and had a good weekend. I had signed up for a vegetable and fruit basket by Hungry Harvest. They take vegetables and fruits that are fine, but cannot be sold at stores often because they are not the standard size (carrots with extra legs), peppers, and cucumbers a bit too small etc. We received our first basket last Thursday. Among the items were celery, carrots, leeks, and two heads of cauliflower, sweet potatoes, and baby bok choi. I wanted to make certain nothing went to waste,so I cooked a lot this weekend. I made a Whole 30 potato-leek soup and shepherd's pie using the celery, carrots and sweet potatoes as the potato topping. I used some of the carrots in the tomato sauce I made from the Whole 30 book (along with turkey meatballs from the Fast and Easy book). I also made sausage patties, spaghetti squash, and butternut squash soup.

I will likely make a stir fry with the bok choi for Wednesday along with riced cauliflower. 

12 hours ago, Ksprljan said:

Have a great day all!

I  often eat "non breakfast" food for breakfast. This morning I had potato-leek soup and shepherds pie for breakfast. Tomorrow, I will likely have butternut squash soup and a pork chop for breakfast. 

On 16.2.2018 at 8:02 PM, ladyshanny said:

Hi @Vic22 - your note about nausea and then your rundown on meals twigged me to pop over here and have a quick check-in. Particularly concerning is the lack of protein on your lunch. It's no wonder you were hungry after lunch.

Our recommendation for meal composition is 1-2 palms of protein (or 3-4+ eggs), 2-3+ cups of veggies (more if it's salad greens) and 1-2 servings of fat at every meal. 

If I was going to re-make your menu for today it would look more like this: 3 eggs scrambled over 2-3 cups of leftover roasted veggies and topped with half an avocado. Lunch: 2-3 cups of roasted veggies alongside a can of salmon mixed with homemade mayo and all topped with the olives. Dinner:  same salad but make sure you have at least 1-2 palms of protein.

Thanks for the tips, @ladyshanny! I must definitely still get used to adding protein to each meal as I used to cook a lot of vegetarian meals without eggs, but it's just a matter of getting used to adding protein.

@Ksprljan - I for myself am quite picky when it comes to breakfast, early in the morning I can't have anything with too strong flavours. Eggs with cooked veggies (or raw veggies with some salt) are working OK until now, but I can understand your egg boredom! Tonight, I cooked a version of Melissa's chicken hash (basically diced sweat potatoes, chicken and apple with some balsamic sauce, I also added grounded ginger because I love the flavour of it, especially now in winter) - I think that also makes a great breakfast, especially with lack of time, just reheat the leftovers.

Hello everyone :) I have been reading the thread about every other day...  I started on Ash Wednesday and have been doing okay with most things.  Meal prep has been a little crazy but I have been trying the suggestion in the book to consolidate prepping tasks for other meals which has made a difference.  I have also been scouring Pinterest for some good recipes and have tried a couple (one I am modifying to make it compliant).  But I am finding I am happier with simple meals as I work a full time day job then a night gig 3 times a week.  I need simple.   As far as detox I had a whopper of a headache day 3 and then had an emotional crash today.  Not sure if it was the program or life.  Maybe a combo of both.  I have learned I CAN drink black coffee.  It just needs to be an espresso, I can't do a full cup.  I am enjoying reading everyone's updates, I don't have a real life W30 buddy so this forum is helping :)

I know I can eat anything, the issue is that my head sends my stomach “disgust” signals to any food that is not “breakfast food” :):) 

I wake up at 5 every morning so breakfast is early for me and my body just has a difficult tim handling non-breakfast foods that early.

@angledge I am going to try the casserole - thanks!

Archived