Lenten Whole30 2/14-4/1

MeganSchallom

NSV to report: I slept long & deeply for the last two nights. I am a chronic insomniac, so this is a big deal for me. I slept nine hours last night & didn't wake up until the alarm went off! It feels really, really good. 

@Allis, you've helped me pick my pork chop recipe - I'm going to make Mel Joulwan's walnut-crusted pork chops with baked apples. I think a side salad sounds perfect with chops & apples. 

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, angledge said:

NSV to report: I slept long & deeply for the last two nights. I am a chronic insomniac, so this is a big deal for me. I slept nine hours last night & didn't wake up until the alarm went off! It feels really, really good. 

Outstanding! That is such good news. 

How is everyone doing? I am doing pretty good and tried some new dishes due to the vegetables that were in the Hungry Harvest box we tried last week. Hungry Harvest delivers boxes that have "ugly" or excess fruits and vegetables that would be thrown away as they can't be sold in stores. I has bok choi and cauliflower, so I made the chicken with bok choi and lemon grass with cauliflower rice  from the Quick and Easy book. It was really good and our daughter and my husband also liked it. I am officially a fan of cauliflower rice. 

It has been good getting back into W-30. Our daughter's birthday is Monday and we are taking her out to eat. I will just have to ignore her desert!

Day 9 has dawned with some knee and foot pain but it was “earned pain”.  First the good news, yesterday I made certain that all 3 meals were compliant with the meal template (not just the food being compliant) and this morning my fasting blood sugar reading was back down to 6.6 (8.5 was yesterday’s risen number).  This truly has become a learning experience and I’m going to accept any stumbles as long as I take something away from stumbling.  Second more awesome results... I think that I’m going to claim a huge NSV because yesterday I spent the early afternoon prepping for a reception at church that I spent the evening serving.  Cheese, crackers, gherkins, pickled onions, dainties including mini cream puffs, wine... all of these things were passing through my hands.  I felt a few twinges of temptation but overall really didn’t want to partake...I caught myself a couple of times when I was about to mindlessly pop something into my mouth and didn’t.  So my sore knees and feet come from spending about 2 hours standing and prepping, then 2 hours serving food & drink while staying totally compliant!

Dear Day 4,  Go fly a kite!  

I want to eat everything and kill everyone... what the heck?! I know this is normal (according to the time line) but the feeling is not good... every little thing is really irritating... My son (16 y/o) whistles, and does it very well I might add; I usually enjoy listening to him b/c he’s happy when he whistles... Today? I told him to “knock it off!” in a rather mean tone. It was like nails on a chalk board... I couldn’t stand it. 

Made “No-Fuss Salmon Patties” and Green Cabbage Slaw w/ Lemon Oil for lunch today... I don’t think I’ll make the patties again... they’re not bad but their kinda fishy, I might try them with fresh fish instead of canned... but the slaw is super yummy. 

How’s everybody else doing? 

image.jpg

It's so good to hear of your victories, each completed day is such a good feeling.

Day 10 almost over here in Europe! It's going well, my body seems to get used to the food and I feel normal (physically) and proud (for making good food choices) most of the days. The challenge for next week will be fighting food boredom and also trying not to have (sweet) potatoes as a side too often (it happened to me that I had them twice a day last week, so I'll have to buy some other veggies in order to have more variety.

Today was a super tough day, though! I had a normal breakfast with eggs and packed my lunch. We had a seminar the whole day with two food options: going to a Mexican restaurant with my colleagues (where they had no compliant lunch) or going to the overpriced restaurant of the venue (with only one meal choice, of course not compliant). I had to ask the organizer if they happened to have a microwave somewhere where I could reheat the lunch I brought. He was really surprised, apparently none of the attendants had ever wanted to do that at one of their seminars. He showed me the way to the restaurant where, fortunately, they had a microwave. Again, suprised people there, watching me reheating my lunch. All the tables were beautifully dressed for people paying for their lunch there. They showed me to a small table in the corner where I could sit and eat my lunch. Phew!

Next challenge, the seminar was over, I headed to another event I had to attend in the evening. No time to eat another meal. At the event, they had a buffet with delicious looking sandwiches and sweets and we were told (repeatedly) to eat a lot as they ordered too much for the small number of attendants. A lot of "no, thank you"s were necessary. Looking forward to a week-end now where nobody will invite me to eat non-compliant food!!

Also, I had 3 Whole30-related dreams over the last days. Two times, I ate non-compliant food and realised it afterwards (still in the dream) - and felt bad, of course. The third dream was me walking along the aisles of the supermarket, desperately trying to find compliant bacon. Those dreams use to leave me with a small anxiety of eating non-compliant food without noticing in real life (an example would have been adding milk to my coffee at the seminar venue without thinking, as that's the way I usually drink my coffee). Fortunately, that hasn't happened so far, but I'm still a bit nervous!

Day 11 has dawned for me! Breakfast is leftover turkey/ veggie patties, avocado and banana with Turkish coffee - black! Lunch will be a whole30 compliant moussaka. Dinner not sure yet! Today is also shopping day for the week - I have to plan out my meals and prepare my shopping list.

Tomorrow is my daughter’s 12th birthday and she is having some friends over. This will require some cooking and baking for the munchkins. Not looking forward to those temptations, but I am confident I will make it. :)

NSVs - sleeping better, an overall lighter feeling, clothes fitting better, my aches have decreased, cleared head! Nothing huge and tremendous but a few small victories. 

Day 10 for me and a major NSV... fasting blood sugar reading was 5.9 this morning ... that is an improvement of 2 (best in the past year was 7.9 and more often over 8.5).  To go along with that, my GERD seems to be gone.  While I’m still a wee bit low on energy, I’m pumped because it feels like I’m taking my health back!

First NSV! I have just finished Day 5 of my first Whole30. I have read The Whole30 book cover to cover and have been hyper focused on looking for NSV b/c I knew that’s what would keep me motivated. I was starting to feel discouraged yesterday (why I thought something positive  would happen so quickly, I really don’t know) b/c I hadn’t seen or felt anything amazing yet...

Well today... 

1. I woke up feeling refreshed. I haven’t had a refreshing night’s sleep since before I became a mom, 16+ years ago! Felt foggy but refreshed. Kinda like you’ve slept really well b/c of an illness but still had brain fog from meds you still required to function physically... you know what I’m saying? For example, I went to make coffee, as usual, and breakfast. After using the coconut oil for the eggs and some for in my coffee, without thinking I put it in the cup cabinet (thinking I put it away in the “right” place) and forgot about it til lunch. I went into the “regular” spot and caught myself honestly not knowing where it went!!! And got upset with my son, blaming him for not putting it where is belongs... lol... 

2.  For the first time in probably a year I don’t feel bloated. I told my husband I felt “light”. He knew what I meant... lol. 

3. My wedding ring! I can spin it on my finger! I know that sounds ridiculous, but I went from being able to slip my ring off with the same hand it was on to not being able to move the sucker. So for it to have some give, is huge to me! 

And this is only Day 5! I can’t wait to see how my body feels on day30! Just the news I needed.

Cravings were super BAD today. So my hubby decided we needed to leave the house to avoid temptation (even though everything “junky” is out of the house).

Thank you Lord for always knowing exactly what I need and when I need it! 

13 hours ago, Allis said:

First NSV! I have just finished Day 5 of my first Whole30. I have read The Whole30 book cover to cover and have been hyper focused on looking for NSV b/c I knew that’s what would keep me motivated. I was starting to feel discouraged yesterday (why I thought something positive  would happen so quickly, I really don’t know) b/c I hadn’t seen or felt anything amazing yet...

Congrats on your victory so early in the process! By Day 5 I wanted to strangle everyone lol I started seeing results after Day 7 (today is Day 12) and cravings the past 2 days including today have been horrible. I work in a TV studio on weekends and the catered food, chips and cookies are everywhere!  I've packed my own breakfast and lunch but its still hard to walk by and smell the choco chip cookies :( lol

On 2/16/2018 at 12:04 PM, angledge said:

Sweet potato/bacon/spinach/egg casserole

Ingredients:

• 2 lb. sweet potatoes
  • 4 slices of compliant bacon
  • 3-5 green onions
  • 12-14 eggs
  • 1 cup frozen chopped greens (spinach, kale, whatever)
  • 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
  • 1/2-1 tsp. salt (to taste)
  • 1 tsp. nutmeg

I made this recipe on Friday.  I may just pass on the nutmeg next time but nonetheless, it was delicious! Thank you! @angledge

I fell off the bandwagon this weekend. Ended up having sulfites but didn't realize it until after I'd already had it. This is my boss' retirement week, so my plan is to restart on Monday of next week. I'll splurge on the meals we're having with the boss, but otherwise will stick to the Whole30 plan. 

My self-discipline has always been lacking, so I was quite pleased I made it 10-11 days without stopping. I was so upset after figuring out my mistake. So, this week, implement what I've already been doing, pay more attention, and give myself a little wiggle room to celebrate a 35-year job well done. 

So glad to have all of you here ... sure makes this easier, and it helps me to give myself some grace that it's okay. Restarting doesn't mean failure; it provides an opportunity for learning to do it better next time. 

The one issue I was having is needing to get up in the middle of the night to pee. Usually twice a night. I stop drinking by 7, typically. I'm in bed by 9, asleep no later than 10. And usually by 1:30am, I'm having to go potty. Typically around 4ish again, too. Alarm goes off at 6am. Anyone else have this issue? It's really frustrating. I was hoping my sleep would get better, but the opposite is happening. (And yes, I do go often during the day with drinking more than before Whole30.) 

On 2/23/2018 at 1:30 PM, Vic22 said:

Also, I had 3 Whole30-related dreams over the last days. Two times, I ate non-compliant food and realised it afterwards (still in the dream) - and felt bad, of course. The third dream was me walking along the aisles of the supermarket, desperately trying to find compliant bacon. Those dreams use to leave me with a small anxiety of eating non-compliant food without noticing in real life (an example would have been adding milk to my coffee at the seminar venue without thinking, as that's the way I usually drink my coffee). Fortunately, that hasn't happened so far, but I'm still a bit nervous!

I was wondering if I was the only one having dreams, lol.  In mine I keep absentmindedly eating candy that someone has left out.  

Sunday night here and day 12 is done.  Whew!  My husband decided to join me and he is on day 3 now.  Dinners have been relatively easy and though I am not typically a breakfast eater breakfast has been going pretty well.  Lunches on the other hand have been tricky.  Mostly lunch has been 2 hard boiled eggs and salad with vegetables.  As much as I would love leftovers for lunch I have 2 hungry sons at home and even when I think I have made an ungodly amount of food it's gone in one meal.  

Wine was hard to walk past at the store today and I have not been successful finding compliant bacon (I've even tried Whole Foods and Sprouts).  But I think I have this week pretty well laid out.  I made a HUGE pot of vegetable hash for breakfast.  I am planning on adding some runny eggs.  It should last all week and it was pretty tasty.  

OH, and I also signed up for Blue Apron's Whole30 promo.  There's only enough for me and my husband but I can make the boys some pasta.  It has really taken the stress of those 2 nights of meal planning as we usually went out to eat on nights where I was not in the mood to do dinner.   

Has anyone tried Territory?  The ads keep popping up on my social media feeds.   

2 hours ago, itsyourcaptain said:

I fell off the bandwagon this weekend. Ended up having sulfites but didn't realize it until after I'd already had it. This is my boss' retirement week, so my plan is to restart on Monday of next week. I'll splurge on the meals we're having with the boss, but otherwise will stick to the Whole30 plan. 

So glad to have all of you here ... sure makes this easier, and it helps me to give myself some grace that it's okay. Restarting doesn't mean failure; it provides an opportunity for learning to do it better next time. 

The one issue I was having is needing to get up in the middle of the night to pee. Usually twice a night. I stop drinking by 7, typically. I'm in bed by 9, asleep no later than 10. And usually by 1:30am, I'm having to go potty. Typically around 4ish again, too. Alarm goes off at 6am. Anyone else have this issue? It's really frustrating. I was hoping my sleep would get better, but the opposite is happening. (And yes, I do go often during the day with drinking more than before Whole30.) 

I have been reading all labels religiously but am still a bit nervous about mistakenly eating a no-no.  What did you eat that had sulfites in it?  

I wish I could help with the bathroom issue.  Not an issue here but I am not drinking as much as I should.  Hopefully someone else can help.  

Well today I survived day 11. I learned a valuable lesson about planning & making sure that I have meals available to eat at the drop of a hat. Last night my old kitty cat Mocha was not feeling well so I was up most of the night with him he is 20, 21 or 22 I adopted him when he was 5, 6 or 7 from the SPCA.   I fell asleep on the love seat and didn’t wake up until 9:15 and had to leave for church at 9:30, needless to say I didn’t really eat much for breakfast. After church I was part of the refreshment group so I never got home until 1:30.  I had taken a Larabar with me and had that, then when I got home I had some butternut squash soup and a baked Italian Sausage.  It was really good.  I spent the rest of the afternoon doing meal prep.  Roasted a spaghetti squash, sweet potato & some more Italian sausages, browned a ground beef onion mixture and used part of the spaghetti squash and ground beef for dinner with tomato basil sauce & black olives.  It was really good.  I’m happy that I have some food prepared for fast meals for the next few days!  I’m really amazed that I don’t really crave anything yet and that apart from being fuzzy headed and sleepy I’m thrilled with the health improvements that I’m seeing!

1 hour ago, ShannonM68 said:

Sunday night here and day 12 is done.  Whew!  My husband decided to join me and he is on day 3 now.  Dinners have been relatively easy and though I am not typically a breakfast eater breakfast has been going pretty well.  Lunches on the other hand have been tricky.  Mostly lunch has been 2 hard boiled eggs and salad with vegetables.  As much as I would love leftovers for lunch I have 2 hungry sons at home and even when I think I have made an ungodly amount of food it's gone in one meal.  

Wine was hard to walk past at the store today and I have not been successful finding compliant bacon (I've even tried Whole Foods and Sprouts).  But I think I have this week pretty well laid out.  I made a HUGE pot of vegetable hash for breakfast.  I am planning on adding some runny eggs.  It should last all week and it was pretty tasty.  

OH, and I also signed up for Blue Apron's Whole30 promo.  There's only enough for me and my husband but I can make the boys some pasta.  It has really taken the stress of those 2 nights of meal planning as we usually went out to eat on nights where I was not in the mood to do dinner.   

Has anyone tried Territory?  The ads keep popping up on my social media feeds.   

What part of the country are you in? Field makes a sugar free bacon that is technically compliant, but not the healthiest choice, I think it has nitrates added.  Although, meijer should carry the Applegate brand, you can go on their website. 

I haven’t been having a lot of cravings, at least not when awake BUT in my dreams! Last night I dreamt I ate gummy peaches which I haven’t had since I was little. I’ve been having a lot of dreams about eating non compliant food. It’s really stressful. You’re not alone. 

3 hours ago, itsyourcaptain said:

My self-discipline has always been lacking, so I was quite pleased I made it 10-11 days without stopping. I was so upset after figuring out my mistake. So, this week, implement what I've already been doing, pay more attention, and give myself a little wiggle room to celebrate a 35-year job well done. 

I think your attitude is amazing! I would probably be castigating myself for weeks. You are right failure is always an opportunity! I also have the peeing issue. Not so much at night but during the day. I am a teacher and even though I normally drink a lot of water I am able to make it through my classes and go to the toilet during breaks. Since starting the Whole30, I have to go all the time. I have no idea what is going on.

Yesterday was a super hard day! My daughter b-day! I baked brownies and cookies and in the evening we had family and guests. I was a good hostess and serves some finger food (mostly non-compliant) and poured wine all evening! My husband and I sat there with our herbal tea being strong! It was tough, but we made it. When everyone left we had a big compliant dinner! Success! The good thing was that our friends and fam our totally supportive of our whole30 so there was no teasing, nudging or questions!

10 hours ago, ShannonM68 said:

Wine was hard to walk past at the store today and I have not been successful finding compliant bacon (I've even tried Whole Foods and Sprouts).  

I found Wellshire no sugar turkey bacon at Whole Foods and a couple of weeks later, they got the no sugar pork bacon. If your local store does not carry it and you ask, they can probably order it.

Hi all! Yesterday I had a major temptation. I helped a friend make an IKEA run & after he was done shopping, he & his son got pizza & cinnamon rolls at the IKEA bistro. I managed to hang tight with them & make it back to my truck, where I had a compliant snack waiting. But it was kinda tough. 

However, that evening my wife came through for me LIKE A BOSS. She made a Costco run & bought ALL THE VEGGIES, & she also bought a ton of good meat. She used our backyard smoker to smoke two whole chickens & four pork chops! And then she carved the chickens, stripped their carcasses, & saved the skin & bones so I can make bone broth! I have delicious meat for days, smoked chicken to make into chicken salad, & just tons of veggies to choose from. A supportive partner makes all the difference. :wub:

20 hours ago, Chelsea Cooper said:

What part of the country are you in? Field makes a sugar free bacon that is technically compliant, but not the healthiest choice, I think it has nitrates added.  Although, meijer should carry the Applegate brand, you can go on their website. 

I haven’t been having a lot of cravings, at least not when awake BUT in my dreams! Last night I dreamt I ate gummy peaches which I haven’t had since I was little. I’ve been having a lot of dreams about eating non compliant food. It’s really stressful. You’re not alone. 

I am in the Los Angeles area.  No Meijer here.  

Day 14!  I was talking to my boss yesterday about Whole30 and she was like, You're doing it again?  Which got me thinking about why.  I want Whole30 to become my default way of eating and after my first completed W30 and my subsequent attempts, I've never been able to make it such a strongly entrenched habit that it's my "go-to".  I hope that after this Whole40, it's that much more engrained in my to cook and eat W30 most of the time, with exceptions for my favorite "worth it" foods and not go completely off the rails.  I'm not sure how that really looks because I haven't been successful at maintenance, so that's what I'll have to figure out over the next 26 days.

Love so much reading about all the NSVs lately!  You guys are so inspiring and amazing.        

Archived