Lenten Whole30 2/14-4/1

MeganSchallom

I’m on Day 14 and I’ve been doing great, like freakishly great, sleeping great even on 6 hours of sleep, no problems with food, amazing energy, clothes fit awesome, great mood. Until today. I want to kill EVERYTHING! Absolutely everything, especially anyone in traffic. I hate this beautiful weather, I can’t stand my pets affection, my husband in the mornings. I’m exhausted when I wake up, I’m exhausted now after being up for 5 hours. I just want a nap. On top of all of that, I have a family emergency and have to drive 10 hours from Louisville, KY to Destin, FL Thursday morning and am trying to find compliant food for the drive down. I hate canned fish and hard boiled eggs. Compliant turkey would be my best bet but I can’t find any. I’m going to make Mayo and Ranch before I leave, I have Epic bars, baby food, veggies and almond butter but I would like an extra protein just to be safe. Any ideas would be super helpful. I’ll have a cooler but no way to heat anything up. Even a place I could stop and eat on the way would be awesome if you’re from that area. Thanks!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Chelsea Cooper said:

I’m on Day 14 and I’ve been doing great, like freakishly great, sleeping great even on 6 hours of sleep, no problems with food, amazing energy, clothes fit awesome, great mood. Until today. I want to kill EVERYTHING! Absolutely everything, especially anyone in traffic. I hate this beautiful weather, I can’t stand my pets affection, my husband in the mornings. I’m exhausted when I wake up, I’m exhausted now after being up for 5 hours. I just want a nap. On top of all of that, I have a family emergency and have to drive 10 hours from Louisville, KY to Destin, FL Thursday morning and am trying to find compliant food for the drive down. I hate canned fish and hard boiled eggs. Compliant turkey would be my best bet but I can’t find any. I’m going to make Mayo and Ranch before I leave, I have Epic bars, baby food, veggies and almond butter but I would like an extra protein just to be safe. Any ideas would be super helpful. I’ll have a cooler but no way to heat anything up. Even a place I could stop and eat on the way would be awesome if you’re from that area. Thanks!

Hey Chelsea!

Here some ideas:

- protein salad with chicken, veggies and mayo

- tortilla de patatas: tastes amazing cold as well (https://www.thespruce.com/spanish-omelet-tortilla-espanola-3083734), I like it with raw veggies and salt as a side (e.g. tomato, cucumber)

- shrimp salad with tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, onion

I wish you all the best for your trip!

15 hours ago, LisaLeeO said:

Day 14!  I was talking to my boss yesterday about Whole30 and she was like, You're doing it again?  Which got me thinking about why.  I want Whole30 to become my default way of eating and after my first completed W30 and my subsequent attempts, I've never been able to make it such a strongly entrenched habit that it's my "go-to".  I hope that after this Whole40, it's that much more engrained in my to cook and eat W30 most of the time, with exceptions for my favorite "worth it" foods and not go completely off the rails.  I'm not sure how that really looks because I haven't been successful at maintenance, so that's what I'll have to figure out over the next 26 days.

Love so much reading about all the NSVs lately!  You guys are so inspiring and amazing.        

Yes! This is my goal too, to figure out how life looks after W30. My family said the same thing, "why are you doing that again?" I really don't want to fall back into my bad habits again, so I'm hoping this whole 30 can help me. So far it's going great!

9 hours ago, Elizabeth22 said:

Yes! This is my goal too, to figure out how life looks after W30. My family said the same thing, "why are you doing that again?" I really don't want to fall back into my bad habits again, so I'm hoping this whole 30 can help me. So far it's going great!

So, my faves, that I know I don't want to live without, are wine and popcorn.  On the surface, that shouldn't be hard to introduce, right???  And yet, it opens up this whole mindset of, well, I'm not Whole30-ing so....and bring on the fried cheese and pizza.  In saying that, the work for me is in shifting away from an attitude of Rules vs. No Rules and instead adopting an approach to eating that is along the lines of Maintenance, I think.  Eating Whole30 except for the things I really don't want to live without.

Vic! Thank you so much!!! I’m making the tortilla as I type. I got your email right before I went to the grocery. It made me feel so much better. 

I think I was just surprised that I wanted to KATT since I was supposed to be finding my Tiger Blood around now, but everyone’s journey is different. It was just a lot to handle yesterday and I really appreciate your support. Thank you again. 

Beginning Day 9 here in Indiana. I feel AMAZING guys! I woke up without grogginess and totally focused, ready to tackle the day. Thinking to myself, “Is this what tiger blood feels like? Cause THIS is AWESOME!” I really hope it’ll last throughout the day. :)

Okay so the energetic feeling didn’t last all day... But it did last most of it. Still feeling good at the end of my day 9. Haven’t been overly hungry today as in previous days. So that’s a win, right? Sugar Dragon must have been sleeping today because I didn’t feel the ache for sweets today hardly at all.  

Went to the doctor today, just a wellness visit... He was super supportive of The Whole30. And was happy at the progress that I have already had; he recommends I continue. :) 

Thank you, Lord for a wonderful day! Lots of “God moments” in my day. Hopeing this momentum stays for a bit. 

Goodnight everyone and Day 9. It’s been real! ;)

Good morning from the other side of the world. Day 16! Over the midway hump! 

I want to congratulate everyone on their success and give a hug to those struggling. It has been tough for me these days so I haven’t had much time to check in. We have had lots of snow and a Siberian cold front passing through Croatia and other parts of Europe. I have been shoveling snow and helping my parents with supplies (they got snowed in - access roads blocked). After work we loaded up and hiked through the snow to get them the essentials. 

The whole30 is going well. Don’t feel as many NSVs as I did the first two times - Melissa says this is normal. I have resigned myself to eggs every morning. Blah! My stomach refuses to adapt to soup, salad etc. at 5:30 am! Eggs work! I am still feel super tired - that may be from a super busy and stressful time at work - one wonders what I would feel like if I was running on pasta and sugar!

Wishing everyone a great day! :)

On 2/27/2018 at 1:01 PM, Chelsea Cooper said:

trying to find compliant food for the drive down. I hate canned fish and hard boiled eggs. Compliant turkey would be my best bet but I can’t find any. I’m going to make Mayo and Ranch before I leave, I have Epic bars, baby food, veggies and almond butter but I would like an extra protein just to be safe. Any ideas would be super helpful. I’ll have a cooler but no way to heat anything up. Even a place I could stop and eat on the way would be awesome if you’re from that area. Thanks!

I was able to find compliant Chicken Sausage at our local grocery, “Aidell’s Chicken Apple Sausage.” I checked the ingredients, all real food and compliant. There was other flavors too but check the ingredients. They are fully cooked. So you could, in theory, cut those up and have those for the extra protein (or stick them on the grill for 8 minutes to put that wonderful grill flavor on them)... we had them as our protein with dinner last night. They were really good. 

Praying for a safe trip. 

Congrats on being halfway through!  I've been feeling pretty good lately but I just haven't gone to the bathroom every day as I'm used to.  There's something that my body is lacking that I go every other day :blink: Been feeling tired waking up the past 3 days...not sure if it's hitting a plateau or I'm just working longer hours lately but I want that energy back!!! Still proud of the continued progress I've made because I didn't think I could stick to this for even a week!

I had dreams last night about eating tortilla chips!  I don't remember having dreams about eating non-compliant food during my first W30, but I know this is a common experience.  LOL, I felt so guilty in my sleep that I even dreamt I spit out one of the chips after realizing I wasn't supposed to eat it.  I'm a little on the struggle bus.  I have been craving wine a lot and I noticed this morning (thankfully not last night!) that my husband opened a bottle.  It's just sitting on the counter, looking delicious.  

Yesterday or Tuesday I was talking about my nervousness about maintenance after this Lenten W40 ends and it's so funny how the universe works!  I am the Director of Teachers and an Instructor at a yoga studio, and I learned that in April I'll be facilitating a 28 Day Program for which nutrition is a component.  It will give me the motivation to be really mindful about non-W30 eating and it creates accountability because I'll be sharing my experiences with the participants in the program.  

Happy Friday-Eve for those of you in the US/Canada and Happy Friday to those of you on the other side of the world!

I have been feeling more calm and settled with my eating this Whole 30. I have my go to items and dishes and have tried some new ones. I am definitely feeling some good affects.  

Our daughter's birthday was this past Monday. I took store bought cupcakes for her class and was not tempted at the bakery. We took her out to eat and the thoughts of the deserts did enter my mind, but none of them looked worth it to stop my Whole 30.

This weekend we are going out of town and I have almost all of my food packed. We will be going to my home town and there will be some challenges. We have a favorite donut and ice cream place so I will take our daughter, but get nothing for myself. We also have a birthday party and my brother makes his children's cake and he is a good baker/cook. I am going to stay focused on what I want to accomplish.

Day 16 today.  I’ve been sick with sore throat, sinus infection... since Monday.  I haven’t reached for gingerale, jello, Lipton chicken noodle soup...that’s got to be a NSV!  The only things I’m doing the same are my Vick’s rub, steam, zinc tablets.  Instead I’ve been drinking ginger tea, fruit infused water (hot & cold) & egg drop soup.  I’ve eaten more fruit (oranges) than ideal but I’ve tried really hard to stay compliant.  Today is supposed to be my first day of Tiger Blood so I hope that it comes and kicks the crap out of this infection!

On 2/28/2018 at 11:43 PM, Ksprljan said:

The whole30 is going well. Don’t feel as many NSVs as I did the first two times - Melissa says this is normal. I have resigned myself to eggs every morning. Blah! My stomach refuses to adapt to soup, salad etc. at 5:30 am! Eggs work! I am still feel super tired - that may be from a super busy and stressful time at work - one wonders what I would feel like if I was running on pasta and sugar!

Wishing everyone a great day! :)

I made this soup the other day, it’s fake on the Whole30 one bc I forgot my book, added an egg and some Swiss chard to it. I think it would have been great for breakfast. I also used chicken thighs instead of breast.

• 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts;
  • 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced;
  • 1 red bell pepper, sliced;
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced;
  • 2-inch piece of  fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped;
  • 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded;
  • 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced;
  • 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced;
  • 4 cups chicken stock;
  • 1 can full-fat coconut milk (14 oz.)
  • 1 tbsp. fish sauce;
  • 1 tsp. lime zest;
  • Fresh minced herbs, such as cilantro or basil;
  • Lime wedges (for serving);
  • 2 tbsp. cooking fat;
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste;

On 3/1/2018 at 8:51 AM, Allis said:

I was able to find compliant Chicken Sausage at our local grocery, “Aidell’s Chicken Apple Sausage.” I checked the ingredients, all real food and compliant. There was other flavors too but check the ingredients. They are fully cooked. So you could, in theory, cut those up and have those for the extra protein (or stick them on the grill for 8 minutes to put that wonderful grill flavor on them)... we had them as our protein with dinner last night. They were really good. 

Praying for a safe trip. 

Thank you for the suggestion and your prayers for a safe trip! I might try that on the way home since I’ll have more time.

I actually found compliant turkey and roast beef at the deli counter at Whole Foods. It was the highlight of my day. 

I had some NSV on the way down, I normally anxiety driving in the rain and next to Semi’s which is all I encountered on the way down and had no problems. My energy also stayed really constant the entire 10 hour drive (just me behind the wheel). I snacked on some raspberries and blueberries and I’m not sure if raspberries have ever tasted so amazing in my whole life. The blueberries even tasted like mulberries which is my all time favorite fruit. 

9 hours ago, Chelsea Cooper said:

I made this soup the other day, it’s fake on the Whole30 one bc I forgot my book, added an egg and some Swiss chard to it. I think it would have been great for breakfast. I also used chicken thighs instead of breast.

• 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts;
  • 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced;
  • 1 red bell pepper, sliced;
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced;
  • 2-inch piece of  fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped;
  • 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded;
  • 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced;
  • 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced;
  • 4 cups chicken stock;
  • 1 can full-fat coconut milk (14 oz.)
  • 1 tbsp. fish sauce;
  • 1 tsp. lime zest;
  • Fresh minced herbs, such as cilantro or basil;
  • Lime wedges (for serving);
  • 2 tbsp. cooking fat;
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste;

I will try - though I will have to adjust to availability of ingredients and personal taste, I don’t like mushrooms and not I don’t think fish sauce is compliant - besides difficult to find in my neck of the woods.

9 hours ago, Chelsea Cooper said:

Thank you for the suggestion and your prayers for a safe trip! I might try that on the way home since I’ll have more time.

I actually found compliant turkey and roast beef at the deli counter at Whole Foods. It was the highlight of my day. 

I had some NSV on the way down, I normally anxiety driving in the rain and next to Semi’s which is all I encountered on the way down and had no problems. My energy also stayed really constant the entire 10 hour drive (just me behind the wheel). I snacked on some raspberries and blueberries and I’m not sure if raspberries have ever tasted so amazing in my whole life. The blueberries even tasted like mulberries which is my all time favorite fruit. 

So glad you are managing with the challenges life is dealing out. 

I am inspired by everyone’s story and your victories and challenges make me feel less alone and confident that I too can do this. Sleeping is not an issue however I still get super tired around 8 pm and can barely keep my eyes open. I do have more energy during the day, a clearer head, more focus and my clothes fit much better. I have found that I have a wait, ha, ha, ha!

Today is my Day 18 and I spent major parts of the day menu planning and then prepping and finally cooking.  (Turkey breast roasted with carrots, Brussels sprouts & onion; meatloaf muffins; Melissa’s hash for breakfasts; boiled eggs for emergencies; a broccoli salad & some pickled red onions). Funny thing about Whole30 is that a lot of time is spent thinking about food!  Strangely that is a good thing...  I’ve realized in the past few days that I’m using kitchen equipment that was sitting either on a shelf or in a drawer, enjoying menu planning and cooking real food & that while I’m spending a lot of time on food, I’m not obsessing, craving or using food.   I still only want to eat food that I enjoy but I’m learning to enjoy healthier foods.   A switch has gone on and I’m now “eating to live NOT living to eat”.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m certain that cravings will happen down the road but for right now, I’m savouring the moment!

23 hours ago, Chelsea Cooper said:

I just found this at Whole Foods and it’s some of the best bacon ive ever had and it’s compliant. 

ED042916-D889-4C4A-8CDE-E00EAEDF9FF7.jpeg

I will need to look for it specifically.  Or show the butcher this photo, lol.  

NSV....  I found my waist!!!!  

I too spent the weekend prepping like a maniac.  I did not look longingly at the wine in the wine aisle and the Easter displays are not tempting me.  

Sermon today was on treating the body like a temple...  getting good sleep, and eating good nourishing food, etc.  Very well timed.  

Hi there

i am at day 28 and am feeling empowered and full of tiger blood! Wanted to check in with folks right behind me and let you know-- hang in--- I'm sleeping better and do not have any heartburn when I used to pop Tums like candy. Good luck fellow travelers to food freedom!!

Day 20...but not.  I caved and had some wine yesterday.  For me, being able to enjoy a glass is the signal to my brain and body that it's time to unwind.  I know there are other things I can do to give myself that same signal, so I am not giving myself a pass - I broke my Lenten W40.  I'm also really okay with it.  Last week I was talking about how to shift from strict rule-following to being in maintenance mode, where my primary eating habits are W30 compliant with the foods I absolutely don't want to live without being a part of my eating without taking me out of overall compliant eating.  Yesterday I drank something that's noncompliant, and I didn't go off the rails.  Today I'm back to being 100% in compliance without batting an eyelash.  I think the shift has occurred for me, and I'm really excited about how that's going to look over the long term.  

Archived