Lenten Whole30 2/14-4/1

MeganSchallom

Day 14 and still standing strong! I feel amazing! I wake up ready to tackle the day, I’m actually productive in my day! I think I will have to continue this or at least remain Paleo after my 30 days, I just feel so good! I have definitely decided sugar will not be reintroduced. I’ve found that that is a trigger and I’m afraid if I allow myself to have any, I will just be right back to square one. My skin is brighter, I’ve gotten my stride back when I’m walking (my husband calls them my “long legs” b/c I walk too fast for him to keep up), I’m happier, and feel a freedom that I never knew I could have. Thank you, God for While30!

I do have a question....

I just started my bone broth. And just realized I was going to have an abundance of bone broth...LOL (I just didn’t even think about how much I would have). :lol:

How do you store it? It says to freeze for up to 6 months... can you freeze in large (32 oz) mason jars??? Or do I need to buy special freezer safe containers? 

I’m so excited about this bone broth! I never thought I’d be so excited over making homemade broth! But I haven’t been able to find compliant store bought broth. So I just decided to make my own. 

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Allis said:

Day 14 and still standing strong! I feel amazing! I wake up ready to tackle the day, I’m actually productive in my day! I think I will have to continue this or at least remain Paleo after my 30 days, I just feel so good! I have definitely decided sugar will not be reintroduced. I’ve found that that is a trigger and I’m afraid if I allow myself to have any, I will just be right back to square one. My skin is brighter, I’ve gotten my stride back when I’m walking (my husband calls them my “long legs” b/c I walk too fast for him to keep up), I’m happier, and feel a freedom that I never knew I could have. Thank you, God for While30!

I do have a question....

I just started my bone broth. And just realized I was going to have an abundance of bone broth...LOL (I just didn’t even think about how much I would have). :lol:

How do you store it? It says to freeze for up to 6 months... can you freeze in large (32 oz) mason jars??? Or do I need to buy special freezer safe containers? 

I’m so excited about this bone broth! I never thought I’d be so excited over making homemade broth! But I haven’t been able to find compliant store bought broth. So I just decided to make my own. 

I freeze broth in ice cube trays. Then I store them in a larger freezer bag. When I'm ready to use I just take out what I need and the frozen cubes thaw quickly!

23 hours ago, Allis said:

I use snap lidded glass containers.  

On 3/6/2018 at 12:32 AM, Allis said:

I do have a question....

I cool the broth and then just pour into sturdy ziplock bags and freeze.

Day 21 - 9 more days and then a slow reintroduction! I miss yoghurt and rice. My sugar demon is under control but I am still super tired. My meals are pretty big with plenty of healthy fats - I think my work situation is just too stressful at this point and is causing the fatigue. 

It is harder this Lent because Easter is so early. Last year with a late Easter, Spring was in full bloom and there was a variety of produce available. This year we are covered in 1.5 meters of snow and freezing temps so produce availability is slim. So jealous of those of you who have so much variety and some ready-to-go W30 compliant products. 

Have a wonderful day everyone! :)

My Day 21 is dawning and I’m continuing to see a downward trend with my blood sugar readings and still no sign of my GERD... I really didn’t think that I would see such fantastic results especially in such a short period of time.  Yesterday, I had another NSV when I stopped into my former work place (I retired June 1, 2017 as a 60th birthday present to myself)  and everyone told me how great I looked (loose clothes, glowing skin).  I had been in for a visit the week before I started the Whole30.

I’m almost over a weeklong sinus infection and am hoping that being sick has delayed the onset of Tiger Blood.  I also missed the craving stage until Monday...all I wanted was bbq potato chips!  Yesterday, I was “over it!” and just wanted the process to be finished.  I think that part of this feeling was because I really did feel bloated for the first time in 3 weeks.  Reading through the Day by Day has really helped me to understand why I’m feeling the way that I do on specific days. I spent lots of time reading about reintroducing foods... there is a really good detailed personal blog on the forum.  

I think that I’m going to step back to some simpler meals as I begin the last full week tomorrow.  I also need to watch my fruit intake because I was eating more fruit (especially oranges) while I was sick.  

Now if I can only find that elusive Tiger Blood!

i hope all is going well for everyone 

On 3/7/2018 at 5:42 AM, Fernsk said:

Now if I can only find that elusive Tiger Blood!

i hope all is going well for everyone 

I was wondering if this Tiger Blood thing was a myth, lol.  But as I reflect I do have more energy than before starting and I feel much more positive generally.  

It's actually gone by much faster than I thought it would.  I don't really miss anything so that's nice.  

Who is planning on doing the reintroduction phase?  

2 hours ago, ShannonM68 said:

I was wondering if this Tiger Blood thing was a myth, lol.  But as I reflect I do have more energy than before starting and I feel much more positive generally.  

It's actually gone by much faster than I thought it would.  I don't really miss anything so that's nice.  

I do miss cream in my coffee but I’m getting over it... the pluses make everything worthwhile.

I'm going to do the reintroduction phase, I can’t wait to find out what might be my problem foods.  

5 hours ago, ShannonM68 said:

Entering the last week and no tiger blood! That’s ok, there are definitely other NSVs. 

I am planning a slow reintroduction and for the most part staying with the program. I don’t have any food allergies or intolerances so I definitely want to bring back some items like yoghurt, beans, pasta every once in a while. I am thinkink weekly 5 days W30 and two days off plan! The one thing that I am not reintroducing is anything with yeast - yeast just drains my energy.

We had a business event yesterday and they served a bunch of sweet amazing baked goods, I walked by them and appreciated how yummy and aesthetically beautiful everything was however was not tempted in the least to have something - huge NSV. The sugar demon is under control, and I plan to keep it chained up! 

Entering the last week I fell good - not excellent - good! I am hopeful that with spring, sun, fresh air and more outdoor activities my body will wake up and catch up with my alert mind!

Happy last week to those of you on my schedule! ;)

I’m going to do the reintro. I’m really excited to see what foods I’m sensitive too. I’ve had a full allergy test run before but I want to see if that matches up. I know I can’t have Whey protein from a bad experience, but I’m wondering about other things. I miss rice, yogurt and angostura bitters. I used to put them in my club soda. 

Oh my gosh!  Day 26 for me...wow time has flown!  My Whole30 ends on Friday, St. Patrick’s Day will be my Day 31.  So before I “talk reintroduction”, I’d like to confirm some NSVs:

3 very important health victories are my lower blood sugar readings, no GERD symptoms since during the first week and slightly less joint pain (makes me wonder if I should test nightshades at some point)

Emotionally, I’m more balanced and it is interesting how I’ve stopped looking at food as a “fix” (I survived a nasty sinus infection without any for my “go to” comfort foods)

Physically, my clothes are getting looser!

”Here kitty kitty”... I’m still waiting for that elusive Tiger Blood but... maybe I’ve gained Tiger Cub Blood or I’m expecting too much from Tiger Blood?  After all, here I am at 5:45 am writing this post, when I went into the kitchen to get my hot lemon water all of yesterday’s dishes were washed and the sink was empty and I’ve sailed through a lot of commitments, recommitted myself to my volunteer activity on Palliative Care so I am somewhat more energetic and focused...maybe that is Tiger Blood?

I've been thinking  a lot about reintroduction.  I am going to do a combo of fast & slow roll.  I’m also going to do things out of the described order in part because my first day is St. Patrick’s Day.  If I can’t celebrate with my friends with a Baileys (grain, dairy & lots of sugar), I’m going to have a Guinness (my once a year Guinness)!  So grain (gluten) in the form of a beer will be my first “food” group.  I will redo the gluten grains in the form of food at the end.  After 2 days of Whole30 eating,  I plan to follow the schedule and introduce legumes then non gluten grains (especially rice).  I have a dim sum date with some dear friends on March 28 so all forms of rice, some soy,etc will be involved... it will be an opportunity to really track my reaction to a non compliant meal then I’ll go back to Whole30 until Easter Sunday.   My reintroduction will continue after Easter...I’m just going to “relax” the rules during Easter...not be so vigilant on no added sugar, no added dairy in small amounts, enjoy a glass of wine and I will be sure to track my reactions to a non compliant day.  After returning to Whole30 for at least 2 days, I’ll reintroduce dairy followed by gluten grains.  My blood sugar readings and GERD will be major indicators of when I’m ready to move forward with testing food groups.

I’m so excited!

22 hours ago, Fernsk said:

Oh my gosh!  Day 26 for me...wow time has flown!  My Whole30 ends on Friday, St. Patrick’s Day will be my Day 31.  So before I “talk reintroduction”, I’d like to confirm some NSVs:

3 very important health victories are my lower blood sugar readings, no GERD symptoms since during the first week and slightly less joint pain (makes me wonder if I should test nightshades at some point)

Emotionally, I’m more balanced and it is interesting how I’ve stopped looking at food as a “fix” (I survived a nasty sinus infection without any for my “go to” comfort foods)

Physically, my clothes are getting looser!

Oops...yesterday was Day 25, today is Day 26 but Saturday St. Patrick’s  is sill Day 31!  Yesterday I spent the afternoon taking minutes for the AGM at church and had packed my own compliant lunch (salmon salad, garlic stuffed olives, celery & snap peas and a clementine) my NSV was that while I would have loved to try one of the delicious looking and smelling home made soups it was relatively easy to decline having any & the cookies, loaves & squares didn’t even tempt me!  I also wasn’t tempted to stress eat when the meeting got a little heated at times...victory.

This morning I realized that I can claim another NSV...no leg cramps during the night!  I haven’t had any for a couple of weeks at least.

we are heading down the homestretch, I hope that everyone has a great day

Wow it’s Day28, this time is really flown by in a lot of ways and now I’m looking at starting re-introduction on Saturday which will be my Day31. I’m really kind of worried because I’m having a bad reaction to having eaten salad on the weekend and I’m  very bloated and quite uncomfortable.  I really need to get rid of this bloat before I begin my reintroduction phase  or how will I know whether a food that I’m trying to eat for the first time is causing my stomach distress or whether it’s over the remainder from my stupid salad excursion.  I tried some kombucha last night and it seem to help a bit.  I wonder what else I can do to make this stop!  

Wish me luck please, I want this gone

Today is my Day 29.  I could start re-introducing on Friday, though I am a little reluctant.  I do plan on beer for St Patricks day, so looks like grains it is.

I am down two holes on my belt.  I'm killing my HIIT workouts and hot yoga classes.  I have enjoyed so many new recipes, eating real food and spending more time with my family cooking (and doing all the extra dishes).  My sleep is better and I feel sharper.

My chronic knee pain and elbow pain did not really improve, but it did not get worse.

If it were not for St Patricks day I feel like I could stay on the program for another 30 days.  I plan on keeping up my new habits, and enjoying indulgences on a less frequent basis than before.  I'll probably be back for another Whole30 for a future tuneup.

Day 30! Yup, we made it! Not sure what tomorrow will bring! A gentle reintroduction for sure! I have some social events coming up but do not feel anxious that I will be tempted to slip at all. How is everyone doing?

And Day30 dawns...  tomorrow I will begin my reintroduction phase and I’m amazed at what a difference 30 days of not perfect healthy eating can make!  I refer to the 30 days as not perfect because I actually felt so good when I read in my Day by Day daily guide that there is no perfect Whole30.  That took the pressure off and kept me moving forward, making adjustments and learning as I listened to my body.  The word that I’ve used most in the past 30 days is “compliant “, my most used phrase is “it’s got sugar added” usually stated with an exasperated tone!  Tomorrow the scale and leash (couldn’t find a measuring tape) will tell their tale, however those results won’t define my Whole30 experience! I’m looking forward to reintroduction 

Yesterday was day 31 for me.  And of course I woke up sick, probably a cold.  My plan was to start the reintroduction with beans but then decided to wait to reintroduce until I feel better.   I did get on the scale.  I am down 5 pounds and as I said in a previous post my belly is flat and I have a waist again.  That my friends was worth it.  I am still feeling far more fatigued than I think is normal.  I may need to explore that further.  Since this has been a Lenten discipline I am thinking about how I plan to break the fast without messing up all of this work.  

Congrats everyone completing Whole30 and hopefully everyone had a good reintro for those who did!  I introduced beans which I had no issue with and had 1 packet of brown sugar in my coffee in the morning. That was my first thing and did get a little bloated. I have not weighed myself but did feel some pants a little looser. Although, my stomach is not flatter and my love handles are still existent. I just think at this point it's my medication, which I then may stop. There is no clean eating and exercise that has changed that and it makes me upset. Overall, this was such a good learning experience in terms of how to eat and what to eat that is healthy but not just make it grilled chicken and salad. I hope to continue but hopefully I can see my tummy go down a little bit.

Today is day 32 for me. I reintroduced alcohol yesterday in the form of Angostura bitters which I normally but in my club soda. It wasn’t the best day to reintroduce since I was already suffering from a migraine, I’m going to wait until I reintroduce everything else and see if that has any changes on that go around. Other than that this has been great, I’m not sure about the weight loss, but I’ve gone down at least one pants size and everything is toned up. I’ve had some skin issues the last week but I’m not sure if that’s from my regular lady hormones or the hormone rebalancing from eating. Legumes are next on my list. 

Yesterday was R1D31 for me & I started the reintroduction phase of Whole30, I’m super excited and scared at the same time.

Before I get into my results from my first food reintroduction, I need to confirm what Improvements I achieved while following Whole30.  In addition to my lack of GERD symptoms & leg cramps, I saw a drop in my blood pressure  and drastically improved blood pressure blood sugar readings.  I weighed yesterday and have lost 10.8 pounds and approximately 5 inches off of my bust, waist and hips (I don’t know the exact number because I couldn’t find a measuring tape at the beginning of the whole 30 instead I used my cat’s leash).  

My first reintroduction food group was legumes so:

At breakfast, I included hummus with snap peas (I loved the taste and only experienced a slight twinge in my stomach).  I enjoy hummus and chickpeas in general (especially curry) so would like to include them as a weekly vegetarian meal option in the future.  The hummus that I bought for the reintroduction test listed soybean oil in the ingredients which may have been the cause of the slight stomach twinge..  I would make my own in the future.

Lunch included a serving of peanut butter (it didn’t taste as I remembered and within 30 minutes, I was writhing with stomach cramps and had diarrhea.  This passed within a half hour but then I experienced some sharp muscle pain at the top of my right shoulder that radiated into my neck.  Needless to say I shan’t eat my old peanut butter again.  After I complete the Fast Track, I will introduce peanuts again without the additives.

dinner included peas which I enjoyed but... the muscle pain returned followed by a brief headache.  I was also really hungry within a few hours of eating and started snacking...I will have to eat these in moderation if at all.  I may also try yellow split peas later because split pea soup is a favourite vegetarian meal.

Snacking on potato chips led to leg cramps after I went to bed.  The chips were a food without brakes for me and thus will likely only be consumed in moderation when out.  Dang one of my favourite things to eat but obviously one that is not good for me.

good luck everyone when you start your reintroduction phase,

Hello so here are my stats: lost 9 pounds and about 1.5 inches around thighs, buttocks and 2 inches around the waist.

Reintro has been successful. I started with diary - yoghurt and cottage cheese. No side effects, feeling great! I did reintros after my first two W30s so I know that yeast is a no, no for me and of course sugar - so I am just bringing back my favorites one day at a time, keeping yeast and sugar out!

I hope everyone is doing well. 

Haven't checked-in in a while... I am 2 whole days away from reaching W30! I have stayed 100% compliant the whole time. I am stoked! I have energy again and it feels wonderful... I am having some anxiety about reintroducing foods. I'm finding it difficult to come up with a plan, because of the anxiety... Any suggestions? I know that I will be staying, most of the time, Paleo and I will be avoiding any refined sugars (I have found in my W30 journey that I was addicted to sugar, BIG TIME, and need to avoid it). I'm feeling so good and do not want to go through through that again. 

NSV? My son and husband were over-the-moon that I bought them Doritos and buns to go with their dinner last night, B).  The victory for me was not just taking a leap and allowing that food back into the house, it was the fact that I had absolutely no desire to "eat just one"; on the contrary, I couldn't stand the smell of them! This made me feel so good and just reaffirmed all my hard work. Another NSV, my clothes are fitting so much better.

I had a doctor's appointment a couple weeks ago. He was very encouraging about W30. He asked me to get some blood work done and follow-up with him. My appointment is next week and can't wait to see what my labs look like compared to a year ago. Hoping to eventually be taken off some medications, that no 36 y/o should be on.

Today I continued my reintroduction R1D34 non-gluten grains.  I should say that I spent the 2 days since my reintroduction of legumes following Whole30 in principle... Sunday was a very difficult day for me... I had little appetite, I was alarmed that my fasting blood sugar reading was up to 7.8 and I grazed on compliant foods throughout the day.  Yesterday morning my fasting reading was 7.3 and I got mad at myself ...  I made myself eat 3 template based meals, I went for a swim and I prepped for today’s meals. Today I was rewarded with a fasting blood sugar reading of 5.8.

What did I learn from my reintroduction of legumes?

1.  Eat each item in its purest state so that you know what causes any reaction (case in point was my negative reaction to peanut butter from peanuts or additives in the peanut butter)

2.  Plan the day so that meals are spaced at least 4 hours apart 5 is better... especially important for me to properly test before meal and after meal blood sugars.

3.  Plan meals around foods that you’ve eaten during the Whole30 so the only new food is the food that you are testing.

So on to my day:

breakfast:  a savoury quinoa dish with some spinach, asparagus and scallions topped with a soft poached egg & a sausage ... the quinoa basically replaced my usual potato for breakfast....  I experienced a bit of bloating that passed within an hour.

Lunch was basmati rice served with a Thai curry and cashews... gurgling tummy while eating and about 2 1/2 hours after I ate I had a few gentle burps.

dinner chili with kernel corn added... oh oh corn is apparently a food without brakes for me... other than that no bad moments

Results: I won’t worry if non gluten grains are included in a meal at a restaurant or when I’m out for a meal and something to be included occasionally in my own menu ... I will watch the corn situation!

Yesterday I finally re-introduced a food group....  legumes in the form of pinto beans.  Argh.  After eating them I felt yucky (no other way to describe it) and this morning I woke up super groggy almost felt like I had a hangover and I am super snotty with lots of post nasal drip.  GROSS.  So clearly pinto beans are not a good food.  Does anyone know if it's likely all beans/legumes will affect me like this?  I would love to have hummus again.  

On 2018-03-25 at 3:15 PM, ShannonM68 said:

Yesterday I finally re-introduced a food group....  legumes in the form of pinto beans.  Argh.  After eating them I felt yucky (no other way to describe it) and this morning I woke up super groggy almost felt like I had a hangover and I am super snotty with lots of post nasal drip.  GROSS.  So clearly pinto beans are not a good food.  Does anyone know if it's likely all beans/legumes will affect me like this?  I would love to have hummus again.  

On legume day, I introduced chickpeas with no problems, peanut butter with major gastrointestinal issues & peas with milder gi symptoms.  I’m going to try peanuts again now that I’m finished the whole Fast Track reintroduction.  That would make me think that each food within a food group could have a different response.  Gluten in the form of wheat only was the only reintroduction that consistently posed problems.  

Archived