First Whole30 1/1/13...in Seattle, sick, terrified, and excited!

Valerie Farris Oman

Hello all,

My name is Valerie and I'm a wife, mom, and lawyer in Seattle. I'm starting my first "real" Whole30 tomorrow (I tried once before but wasn't as strict as I should have been). I am a little terrified but also really excited and I just feel READY.

I did wake up feeling like death today and wondered what you all do to treat sickness while on the Whole30, since so many medications (i.e., cough syrup) have sugar in them.

I also found out today that I'm traveling to Tucson for a work conference in 3 weeks so I will need to do some improvising there - not with the Whole30, but with the conference schedule, getting a fridge in the room, etc. - so that I can stay on target.

I'm glad to be here to give and receive support as we all get started tomorrow!

Cheers,

Valerie

Hey Valerie, I had to stop in and say I am also in Seattle and doing my first Whole30 starting tomorrow. Its good to know I am not the only one nearby going to do this. I hope that you feel better, I second the homemade chicken broth and some hot sauce. It does wonders for me when I am sick.

Hi Valerie,

I've been eating this way for a long time now and I don't get sick very often. When I do, I supplement with Vitamin C and Zinc, drink loads of bone broth, and make a "tea" with hot water, fresh ginger, lemon juice,cayenne pepper and a splash of apple cider vinegar. I also add honey into the mix, but leave that out while on a Whole 30. Have a look at this post by Chris Kresser http://chriskresser.com/how-to-prevent-colds-and-flus-naturally

Hope you're feeling better soon and good luck with your Whole 30!

Valerie, I have to say this is one of the less terrifying meal and lifestyle plans out there. I have been on some horribly restrictive diets. The last one, I ate 5 packets of space food and one real meal. I did lose 84 lbs but I was a wretch the entire time. Not that this is about weight loss but the pay offs are huge with the W30 if done as written.

Chicken soup with lots of veggies..just made it for my cold ridden brother yesterday (with lots of cayenne). He claims I scared the crap out of his cold. :)

I am in Portland so not too far from you and Tonic.

Hi Valerie! I am in Seattle too and I started my first Whole30 yesterday! I have been wanting to do a complete 30 for a few months now but birthdays, travel, weddings, etc kept me from doing one. So I have been doing mini 5, 7 and 13 day "Whole 30"s over the past couple of months. I am pretty excited to see how I feel throughout the month and what kind of results I feel and see after 31 days. I know we are going to complete it and finish strong!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just wanted to chime in and say hi to the other Seattle folk who are doing or have recently completed a Whole30. I'm at the tail end of my first 30 days and plan to keep going for another 30 to make sure those good habits are ingrained. Anyone have any pointers on local sources for meats, etc.? I checked out A&J Meats in Queen Anne for some local meats at prices not as painful as those at WF.

Archived