FBG:  98

Steps:  6,813

Protein:  tuna, turkey, salmon, chicken

Fat:  olive oil, almonds, green olives, coconut oil, MCT oil

Vegetables:  romaine, potato

Fruit:  blueberries

Coffee:  30 oz. half-caff

Thoughts:

There are no words to describe how much better I have felt overall.  

I'm not eating right up until bedtime, because I want at least 8 hours fasted for that morning reading.  Before, too often ~ I was not eating real meals, but snacking on this and that as I went through my day (string cheese, pork rinds, and yes, sometimes peanuts).  Even though I'm not posting my food as "meals" here, I can tell you that mentally I am structuring things better, and the "protein/veggie/fat" is always in my brain ... whether I get the veggies included or not is another story.  That comes down to mainly digestive issues & the fact that I haven't been to a grocery store in forever.  Lol.  (Yes, my husband will buy whatever I ask him to buy ~ AEB the two avocados sitting on my counter that both should be eaten *today*.  :rolleyes:)

But it's not just the food.  I'm listening to my body more.  Not just listening, but respecting.  There IS a difference.  

I haven't posted a 4.5 hour sleep night since that ONE night, where @littleg commented -- because I've been doing this revolutionary new thing:  I've been going to bed.  I don't even want to share here how much sleep I've lost since starting nursing school.  I don't even know.  There were many nights, just this semester, where I was falling asleep sitting up on the couch in my study area and waking up a few hours later, and that was my "sleep" for the night.  I was all sorts of out of whack.  Things are falling into place now.  Yes, I have time to sleep.  That sleep makes me function better the next day, so I'm not stumbling through my work in a fog.  The work then takes me less time.  My brain is firing like it's supposed to be.  

Well, I could go on ~ but I'm up early to study for another test.  Just found out I got 95% on my Micro exam last night -- super happy and relieved about that.  Not so sure this one today in advanced A&P is going to go that well.  :huh:  Have a great day!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DAY 12

Sleep:  6 hours

FBG:  96

Steps: 6,080

Protein:  eggs, beef, salmon, collagen

Fat:  coconut oil, ghee, almonds, olive oil

Vegetables:  potato

Fruit:  banana

Coffee:  39 oz half-caff & regular

Thoughts:

6 hours of sleep is not enough, but I've had no choice the past two nights.  I'll catch up this weekend! ;)

DAY 13

Sleep:  6 hours

FBG:  91

Steps:  6,795

Protein:  eggs, collagen, beef, tuna, chicken

Fat:  coconut oil, ghee, pecans, almonds, olive oil

Vegetables:  spinach, potato, tomatoes (compliant marinara)

Fruit:  banana, dates, blueberries

Coffee:  30 oz half-caff & regular

Thoughts:

Had a couple of things I don't normally eat, so that added some "variety" ~ but they're both things I have good reasons for avoiding, so I don't feel like either of them really did me any favors.  :rolleyes:  

The weather has been super *rainy* here + we just have so much going on throughout the week = haven't been for a walk around the neighborhood for several days.  I hate that.  

On a brighter note, I just found out that they decided to do 8-week classes (instead of 10) for summer semester -- so that means I'll have 3 weeks off between spring & summer semesters, instead of the 1 week I was anticipating.  So that will be nice.  We won't be going on vacation or anything (for a variety of reasons), but MAN there is a lot to do around the house to "catch up".  That really gives me something to look forward to.

DAY 14

Sleep:  6.5 hours

FBG:  102

Steps:  5,679

Protein:  eggs, chicken

Fat:  coconut oil, ghee, almonds, olive oil

Vegetables:  romaine, red cabbage, shredded carrots

Fruit:  banana, blueberries

Coffee:  32 oz. half-caff & regular

Thoughts:

I was all set to get 7 hours of sleep, but was interrupted by my youngest puking in the night.  :unsure:  Thankfully it was only once!  He usually gets started and doesn't quit for a long time.

I could say that the fasting blood sugar doesn't bother me, but I don't like to see it up over 100.  There is just something about that number.  I was like, well, ok.  Too many potatoes and not enough activity.  Sigh.  (Also too much stress & not enough sleep... only so much I can do there, but I'm trying.)

Got to see the ladies in my family, as we all got together at the wedding dress store for my niece to choose her dress.  It was nice to get away from home & the books for awhile and just NOT think about school for a little bit.  I got to spend time with the new baby (my beautiful great niece) & change a couple of diapers, trim her nails, etc.  It was very relaxing.

As we were leaving, my mom stopped me in the parking lot and started asking me about Whole 30.  For years, they've heard me talk about it off and on.  I try so hard not to come across pushy with any advice.  I know that can just turn people off to the whole idea.  I obviously want to see them healthy & living a long time, but I also understand why it is so hard for people to make a change, and that they have to really want it for themselves.

Anyway, I sent her links to the free downloads page, and I'm going to take my book for her to borrow next time I see her.  I doubt she'll ever poke around the forum -- but in case she does:  HI, MOM!  :lol:  I was so glad she asked me about it.  The real challenge is for both her & my dad to get on the same page, at the same time.  We all know how much easier it is to make life changes when you have the proper support at home.

DAY 15

Sleep:  8 hours

FBG:  96

Steps:  5,405

Protein:  eggs, collagen, tuna, chicken

Fat:  coconut oil, ghee, olive oil, almonds

Vegetables:  spinach, romaine, red cabbage, shredded carrots

Fruit:  blueberries, banana

Coffee:  27 oz. half-caff & regular

Thoughts:

I've decided 15 days of tracking is plenty.  That's a good stopping point for the detailed posts.  I'm putting away the glucose monitor -- I'm keeping the fitbit for my own personal motivation.  That's been good so far.  I need those walks around the neighborhood.  It's a good reminder.

The Diet Mt. Dew is staying gone!  I really think that was my biggest problem, and what led me here.  Every day I'd think, "I'm not having that today" ~ but every day, I'd have it anyway.  It had a hold on me, for sure.  I was so sleep-deprived... it was a vicious cycle.  So I forced myself to come here and be accountable for it.  And guess what?  It really wasn't that hard.  Sure, I had a couple of moments where I really wanted to crack one open, but I thought, "what does my body REALLY need right now?"  ...Because, let's face it, the answer is never going to be, "Diet Mt. Dew.  Your body really needs all of the great stuff that is in Diet Mt. Dew."  :lol:

@littleg thanks for being here and supporting me while I got things back on track.  I'm not sure if I'll continue to post here ~ but it's sure good to know you were here when I needed you.  Sometimes all we need is just that one person who actually cares about what we're doing.  Apparently, you're my person.  I appreciate it!  Feel free to text me super cute pictures of your little man ~ and whatever else you have going on.  Anytime.  

• 3 weeks later...

So ~ I've been away from posting for about 2.5 weeks.  I'm on spring break now, so a little bit of time to decompress. :)

I realized that the detailed tracking/posting was just creating more stress.  I felt better overall, but it was just adding to "things in my brain".

I learned a long time ago that any sort of measuring, counting -- it can't be done for long.  That includes numbering days:  "DAY 1" etc. etc.  

I guess posting all of that here worked as a short-term tool to kick the Diet Dew habit.  (And yes, it's still gone -- and no, I have no desire to go back.)  

It's what I felt like I needed to do at the time.  But I'm all for changing direction when you need to -- and it was a great reminder for me of why I don't generally make big announcements to anyone like:  "I'm doing this for 30 days!"    :rolleyes:

Anyway, while I've been away ~ my 39th birthday came and went, in a flurry of studying for exams.  I came across this picture a couple of months ago, and it was so perfect!  Just wanted to share.  @littleg, hope all is well with you.  Thought it would give you a laugh!

FullSizeRender.jpg.jpeg

My husband and I got to go to Costco and stock up on some things, for the first time in ~9 months or so.  We let our membership expire last summer, and we decided to save the money and the trips to the big city.

Oh, Costco ~ how I've missed you!  :wub: :lol:

The giant jalapeño-garlic olives are BACK!   ...And I may be posting pictures for awhile.  

I've been sick almost this entire spring break.  Had a strep test on Tuesday, and -- no such luck.  Lol.  Probably just a virus that needs to run its course.  Awesome.  So I think maybe posting pictures here each day will motivate me to make better (healing) choices... and yes, this time I'm leaning back toward keto.  As I said before, my last stretch was over Christmas break, with a few unsavory items which will not be included anymore.  I definitely achieved ketosis, but I can't say I felt great.  

Anyway ~ breakfast:

Eggs, tuna, coconut oil, ghee, jalapeño-garlic olives, and black coffee (of course!)

FullSizeRender.jpg-1.jpeg

Listening to episode 2 of the "Broken Brain" documentary while putting lunch together today...  they start talking about the toxins in conventionally-grown produce, especially if it comes in a plastic bag.  And suddenly, my lunch was not quite as appealing.  :unsure:

Ha ~ :lol: oh well... here's a pic anyway.  

I don't feel the need to list every ingredient (unless someone asks, of course) -- but lots of healthy fat in there:  olive oil/MCT mayo, ghee and coconut oil in the coffee.  

IMG_5702.JPG.jpeg

13 minutes ago, kirkor said:

I have you to thank (blame??) for giving me the heads up on those a while ago! 

Ha, I remember!   You're welcome.  :lol:   I love them...  unfortunately, the garlic doesn't always love ME.   I guess I'll see what my limit is.  That sounds like fun.   ;) 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Yeah food pictures!  I love food post pictures!  That coffee looks a.maz.ing.  Sorry about the virus.  It has been a crazy season - its like the never ending respiratory infection... 

Should I just avoid Broken Brain?  On the one hand I think this stuff is really interesting but then I get so crazed with worry that sometimes it is better to just be ignorant.  I minimize plastic as much as I can: no plastic tupperware, cups, bottles for me or baby, cook only on stainless steel, wear aluminum free deodorant... stuff like that but if I'm worrying about my organic romaine hearts packaged in plastic... or the toxins in our furniture...

Once we get our little mini-homestead (hah!) up and running I can worry less about plastic I guess!

@littleg -- I just saw your post about moving yesterday, while I was sitting here feeling like crap & skimming the "binge" thread.  I thought at some point it sounded like you'd gotten a new place, but I wasn't sure when, or the details.  It sounds great!  Are you going to have chickens?  Man, I always used to want chickens.  Now I'm not so sure (ha, lots of big life changes) -- plus my sister has her own chickens, where we get GREAT free-range eggs.  But at one point I was doing chicken research and even had my favorite chicks picked out.  

You know what ~ yes, just avoid Broken Brain for now.  So far, I haven't heard anything I haven't heard before (I've read both of Dr. Perlmutter's books, and many others, etc etc).  I think it's great to hear it all again.  Some things we do forget.  And I love to hear how excited and passionate they are about all of it.  So far, it's a message of hope -- you CAN change things -- you do NOT have to live this way forever.  BUT -- that said, it IS one of those "wow, everything is bad for me... everything is going to kill me... I wonder if I have that problem..." sort of things.   If your brain works anything like mine... yeah, it can be like that.  I'm part-way through episode 3, and while I would like to finish all eight episodes someday ~ I think it's going on the back burner for now.  I have way too much other school work to do, unfortunately.  :unsure:   I will listen to it here and there, whenever I have time (maybe in the car) ... and I will be sure to post here to share a summary or anything earth-shattering, if I come across it.

Thanks @Brewer5!  And if there are any episodes that make you feel empowered vs trapped and helpless let me know!  So yes, we did move.  2 months ago.  I LOOOOOOVE the new house.  We just got back from a 2 mile snowshoe OUT OUR FRONT DOOR!  We saw deer and come coyote tracks... I get a mile of steps in a day just be walking the driveway if I chose to (1/4 mile round trip - a paper trip, a recycling bin trip, a mail trip and then usually another garbage/recycle bin trip with hubs after dinner).  Huge garage gym.  And I get to chop firewood for the wood stove :) And the biggest perk - my in-laws are 5 min away!  They own a horse farm so I'm hoping the little guy becomes a barrel racing super star and can support his parents in their old age!  (For some reason when I press "return" it doesn't work so sorry about the long paragraph!).  Anyway, enjoy these last few days off and remember.... it is just nursing school.  You'll pass the NCLEX and be an awesome nurse no matter what!

@littleg  your new place sounds wonderful! Seriously, I am really happy for you. And thank you for your kind words regarding nursing school. I don't think it is the nursing classes and clinicals that are causing so much pressure this semester, it is the microbiology and advanced anatomy and physiology on top of that. I don't feel the need to get all straight A's but I do need to pass the classes which means I have to do the work. Funny how that works! LOL.  

I keep telling myself I am halfway through, if I can just get through these next eight weeks it will all be better. I have a lot of things due coming up right after spring break and I had big plans to get a lot done, but my body and brain has just not been into it at all.   My body decided this was an excellent time to get sick and my brain has decided it is an excellent time to get sidetracked with other things -- I've done a lot of reading, listening to podcasts, etc ... all of these things I used to enjoy so much and have gotten pushed out.  

Everyone says it will be worth it.  I sure hope so. :) 

I found this at Costco and was so happy.  9 grams of protein per serving.  Yes, I know I can/should make my own -- but I never have. Today I took a good look at it and thought, "what IS organic chicken flavor?" ... after searching the internet, seems it is a yeast extract of some kind.   Debate about whether this is as bad as MSG or not.  Glutamate has been on my radar for a couple of months now -- I'm having this for breakfast today & I'll see how I feel.  

IMG_5715.JPG

You'll never really use micro again.  Advanced A&P is worth learning for real though.  

Have you read The Dorito Effect?  It was interesting - its all about the "natural flavor" industry.  

42 minutes ago, littleg said:

Have you read The Dorito Effect? 

It's been in my Amazon cart for years.  It's still there... right between Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers and Your Brain on Food.  

...Does that count?  :lol:

I've read about "natural flavors" lots of other places, though ~ and I know it's a bunch of bs.  This morning I was thinking "organic chicken flavor" ... shouldn't that just be organic chicken?  Lol.  We all know it isn't.

Well, I'll tell you this much.  If they added it as a flavor enhancer / way to make me addicted to this stuff ~ they failed miserably.  It hardly tastes like anything at all without adding a bunch of salt.  The little bit of flavor it does have is not even what I would call a "good" flavor.  Kind of weird.

Do they make ladybug flour?  I can send you the 1000 in my vacuum cleaner... I don't know why the US is so anti all not-muscle-meat foods.  Rest of the world eats this stuff - even without having to turn it into vanilla flavored protein bars ;) Enjoy it!

I would totally eat ladybug flour.  :lol:  Agreed, people in the US are weird.  

{Now wondering about the nutrition content of ladybugs...}  haha.  Wait, don't they produce some nasty-smelling juice when you kill them?  Maybe not...  :wacko:

Archived