March 1 start - who's in f/ some March Madness?

Usatonik

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
14 hours ago, Usatonik said:

As soon as April hits I usually start crash dieting and exercising like a mad woman because Summer is right around the corner.  This year I want to take a smart, proactive approach and be ahead of the game.  Hope you'll join me!

Please bear in mind that this program is not a weight loss diet or a crash diet of any sort. It's an elimination protocol meant to clean your system so that you can reintroduce foods that may be problematic and determine how they affect you personally.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I'm also going to start on March 1st. I did one back in August and I felt really great, but I ended it on my birthday and that proved to not be smart. I ruined my whole re-intro phase and went way off track and within a week was back to my old habits. So I'm excited to do the 30 days but to also take my sweet time in the re-intro phase and make some habits stick more long term.

I'm also planning to start March 1st. I've been mostly gluten-free and dairy free for years, but have some bad eating habits I want to break (like keeping chocolate and chips next to my computer to mindlessly snack on). I'll be clearing out all these non-compliant foods in the next couple of days and doing some serious shopping and cooking. Already have a few Whole 30 soups in the freezer as backup.

Is anyone else getting overwhelmed that there's no specific grocery shopping list? All I can find is stuff that says, basically buy all the meats, etc. Does anyone have a week 1 grocery list that I can use to save me some time? One specific to the outline they give on page 196 of the 30-day guide would be even better!! Thanks in advance!  

My daughter and I are preparing to start the program on March 1st. She is almost 12 and struggles with inattentiveness, disorganization and lacks a strong working memory. Research led me here, and we're hoping that this will help her as we do not intend to put her on medication, no matter what. As I did my research, I came to believe the program will help me with many of my own issues--and I don't feel it's realistic to expect only her to make these changes. So it will be my older daughter and younger daughter (5), and myself doing it together...my husband is still determined our current vegetarian diet, heavy on whole grain carbs is healthiest, but he's a grown man and must make his own choices. He has agreed to read the research I've provided, so I think he will change his mind before the 20 days is up:)

6 hours ago, bombermcd said:

Is anyone else getting overwhelmed that there's no specific grocery shopping list? All I can find is stuff that says, basically buy all the meats, etc. Does anyone have a week 1 grocery list that I can use to save me some time? One specific to the outline they give on page 196 of the 30-day guide would be even better!! Thanks in advance!  

Have you seen these resources?  https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

I'm just doing what I usually do, which is pick some recipes I want to make and then buy the ingredients for those recipes. I have a bunch of Whole 30 cookbooks and can easily find recipes on the web.

A friend who did Whole 30 a couple of years ago recommended:

--Get Cauliflower rice crumbles from Costco or Trader Joe's

--Get Romaine lettuce leaves to use in place of bread

--Try Almond butter with apples

--Use cabbage shreds instead of noodles (neither of us like zucchini 'noodles')

--Soak raw cashews in the fridge so you can easily whip up a sauce or dressing

Hello, I am starting tomorrow, 3/1! This will be my 2nd attempt at whole30. Tried last year but I really enjoy wine and that’s what broke me! But think I have more willpower this time around. Just want to reset and adopt some changes in my diet! 

Hi everyone! I'm new to whole30 & wanted to introduce myself. I'm Liz and today is Day 1, first time on Whole30. I'm in for March Madness! I do have 1 question about ghee.  It doesn't sound very appetizing & wondering if anyone can describe the flavor.  Looking forward to supporting everyone on this forum!

Hi Friends, 

I'm joining for the March 1 Whole30. I actually just finished whole30 1 yesterday and decided to keep going (with a break today for a glass of wine with some guests coming to dinner). So I feel great! It worked! Sugar cravings are much much lower, and it's become a reflex to eat more veggies. I'm just not ready to stop because I need to make it more of a routine to eat well. I need the rules for another 30 days to solidify the habits. 

I'm excited to hear how everything goes for everyone in the next 30 days. And remember, hard boiled eggs are your friends!

3 hours ago, Liz D said:

Hi everyone! I'm new to whole30 & wanted to introduce myself. I'm Liz and today is Day 1, first time on Whole30. I'm in for March Madness! I do have 1 question about ghee.  It doesn't sound very appetizing & wondering if anyone can describe the flavor.  Looking forward to supporting everyone on this forum!

It's true, Ghee is not the same as butter. When it first hits your tongue, it's kind of an echo of butter. Then after a minute it's like butter's granny, a bit outspoken, but in a nice straight shooting kind of way. After a few tastes, it becomes delightful in its own way. 

@AlyMcF I did see those resources and your tips are awesome, I'm just an extreeemely busy person (hence, why my eating habits have gone down the drain) and I would've hoped for a previously made grocery list for week 1. I mean, they provide a list of recipes to potentially use if you need guidance, why not take it a step further to help me ease into it?? Just a thought. 

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, bombermcd said:

@AlyMcF I did see those resources and your tips are awesome, I'm just an extreeemely busy person (hence, why my eating habits have gone down the drain) and I would've hoped for a previously made grocery list for week 1. I mean, they provide a list of recipes to potentially use if you need guidance, why not take it a step further to help me ease into it?? Just a thought. 

Possibly because they don't know what you have in your pantry, which recipes you may or may not want to make and what ingredients are available to you in your town.

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, StacyL said:

Hello everyone! I’m starting tomorrow 3/1. Excited and nervous. I have purchased and read the book. My only question is, is this like the “Keto diet?” I understand that this is not merely a “diet” but seems similar.

Not sure what the "keto diet" is but this is not similar at all in that you are not intended or encouraged to try to enter ketosis. The overall amount of vegetables (starchy and otherwise) and fruit that you can and should be eating would not enable ketosis.

Archived