Start date Mon. Feb 12th 2018

Micaela P

Hey there! My husband and I are starting our first ever Whole 30 on Monday, Feb. 12. We both love to cook so we're not worried from that angle. We have 2 teenage sons who eat a ton (but will not be doing the Whole 30) so it will be a challenge to make food for them as well as us. We are both in our 50's and are not overweight but have gained some weight in middle-age that we are finding hard to get rid of. Hoping that the Whole 30 will be instrumental in getting rid of a few pounds! I'm also hoping it will help with hot flashes and sleep issues. 

Excited to follow along with anyone else doing the Whole 30 around this time!

Micaela

(in Minneapolis, MN)

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Micaela! 

This will be my 3rd (or maybe fourth) whole 30 over a couple of years. The last one was far and away the best because my daughter did it with me. It's great to have a partner because you can plan and explore new recipes together - you and your husband will have a great time. I bet your sons will like the food as well, they can always add some rice pasta or toast if they want. My daughter (14 yo) really loved the food and her acne totally cleared up (She loved that too!!!) We discovered it was sugar related so now she is able to keep it pretty much under control.

Your sleep will likely change. I was having terrible insomnia and on whole 30 actually slept through the night!

Now all of the sudden I'm having some hormonal bloating, achiness, food cravings and not hot flashes exactly, just warm all the time. I'd like to see if these symptoms can be relieved. I need to commit so happy to join you on the 12th!

Diana

Hello.

I completed the program 2017 Jan. Mostly, making better choices since. Decided going to start tomorrow again too. Super excited!  Micaela, I agree with Diana, just adding a little bit more can make a big difference for your sons. Super glad that the acne cleared up for your daughter Diana.  My family all has issues with GI and eating healthier has made a big difference. My daughter (17) was in ER on Friday for GI - her eating hasn't been the best, so it is a good time to start us all back on track...

I am in MN too.  

I run - slow, but do it. And we have an event St. Patrick's Day, so this will help me perform better.

The biggest thing to do, is plan, plan, plan. And if your not exercising, and decide to start, take it slow...

Last year I gave up chocolate for the year. Yep the whole year, goofy! Not sure to do that again, but it did help make better choices

My Motto this year is: Beauty and Balance - both inside and out!

Either of you have a motto that you want me to remind you when some days get hard? Check in daily or weekly?

Plan for the day, plan for the week, and plan for the experiences!

Lanette

I’m starting feb 12 and am concerned about sticking to it 100%. This is my first time doing Whole30 .  I’m almost 48, have 3 teenage daughters, and am tired of my clothes not fitting and being a slave to goodies!  It’s out of control!  I want to break the cycle of craving/ binging on sugar and to feed my body what it really needs. I need a reset and would love to come along with you guys!!

Jennifer 

Sounds perfect. Remember to get your stuff ready. It really is an awesome program. It is not a diet! It is wonderful way to break those cravings and the addiction to sugar!

Michala, Diana, Jennifer and me (Lanette)   - We are off to a great start!

Remember eat breakfast! this will get you going...

REMEMBER: Valentines day is Wednesday, PLAN FOR THIS DAY! No chocolate, candy etc. Keep it Whole30!

Did you all purchase the book? or the Day to Day, this will help also. Lots of info out there on web, but as Melissa Hartwig has said beware of the programs that are not approved by her. I purchased a different book that I thought was part of the program and it was not.

Lanette

I’m starting on Feb 12th too!  First time for me. My fridge is jam packed with healthy stuff  & my daughter brought me stuff today that  I can’t get in our small town (nutritional yeast, coconut aminos, ghee & other goodies). I’m in my late 50’s...looking to get rid of bloat & to hopefully sleep better. Hubby is not joining me on the journey, but I know he will enjoy the dinners. He isn’t willing to give up his dairy & grains...& honey (he’s a beekeeper...hahaha). Let’s do this!

Sallee

Honey - yummy!  Dairy, this one I think is easy. My hardest part is in the car after work, traveling to home. I get very hungry.. So I definitely have to plan for the car ride, plus its only 15 degrees today, so hard to keep fresh fruit in the car...nuts are good. Remember to plan for the emergency food - this is important.

What is everyone most excited about and most nervous about for the Whole30?  

Me: Excited - to have others doing the Whole30 with same starting date. Nervous: not sure yet?

Also Diana - not sure about you, but not everyone experiences the crankiness or some of the extreme emotions, some do...Think Happy Thoughts!

Lanette

I just made red sauce and am cooing spaghetti squash for tomorrow night's dinner.  I bought a few new vegetable choppers today and already love them- Makes the prep work actually a breeze!

Excited to observe what changes i notice when I'm giving my body good food.  Not quite sure yet but Is it really possible to live without sugar???

Nervous  about cheating and having to staring over - that would be embarrassing!  

I hope I can get through the lows and persevere!  Glad to have some partners in this great endeavor!

Jennifer 

Raleigh, NC

I am starting today too!  1st timer here.  I love cooking and am prepped for the week.  I've been mentally preparing for the past few weeks.  I am the most nervous about not giving into my cheese cravings and get togethers. Cheese is my crack.   I am most excited to see what the results are in 30 days!  

Kara

St. Augustine FL

And we’re off to the races!  My plate was pretty this morning...scrambled eggs, sautéed spinach & sugar snap peas, apple slices & black coffee. Doing protein salad with mashed avocado on spinach leaves for lunch & spaghetti squash with ground moose & tomato sauce for dinner. 

Happy Day 1 and welcome to all Feb12th starters! Flowers are way better than candy for Valentine's anyway am I right?

Lanette - sorry to hear about your daughter's GI trouble. Hope she is feeling better. When I started my first Whole 30 I didn't realize there is a reintroduction period at the end. For any first timers on this thread this is most important for you so you can isolate what things may be causing your symptoms, sleep disturbance, bloating, stomach pain etc. Before my first whole 30 I was having all kinds of trouble and didn't realize that gluten and milk bothered me. I avoid them now and do much better. 

What am I excited about? My skin always looks so much better and I don't feel achy. I am also hoping to lose some bloat. Oh and freedom from cravings!

What am I nervous about? Giving up wine is challenging for me but that's another good reason to do it! I'm not crazy about having to special order things at restaurants and it gets a little tiresome having to explain what Whole 30 is and why I'm doing it (people always ask!). But if I can do this you can do this too!

Crankiness - I had a failed attempt once because I started feeling sorry for myself like I was depriving myself. The truth is I wasn't really being creative with my cooking decisions and just eating the same things and getting bored. There are so many delicious and satisfying options out there you really don't ever have to feel deprived. I think the moodiness from withdrawals really depends on your diet going in. If you are used to eating a lot of sugar and refined carbs you might experience more symptoms. This time I might have a little more trouble because I've discovered so many carby gluten free items that have slowly crept into my diet.

Today I'll make a chicken bone broth and do a soup -- yum!

d

Hi Peeps!

I'm also starting today on my first Whole30. I am 47, and have two young boys and one old boy :) who will not be following the program with me. I love to cook and am not so concerned with that, but I also love wine.....and dark chocolate....and....

I'm fit and eat a healthy diet usually, but it is surprising how much sugar is hidden in everything packaged! My goals are to see if my general health improves without the grains: clearer-headed, clearer skin, more energy, and also to test how the different carb intake affects my blood sugar #s as I also have Type 1 Diabetes. Oh and I'd love this chronic hip pain to vanish. (If extra pounds go with it too then all the better!)

What am I most nervous about? Sticking something in my mouth (tasting something for my kids) WITHOUT THINKING ABOUT IT. Habits....old habits-- hard to change. Most excited about: feeling better!

This morning's breakfast entailed butter-less coffee (surprisingly good with just coconut oil), and a scramble with red peppers, potatoes, turkey bacon, and eggs. Avo and fresh berries. I'm so grateful Cholula is OK. Love that stuff.

Now I'm off to the store to stock up on things like coconut aminos and ghee...

Shelly

Shelly, I hear you about the mindless eating....that is my life!  That will be a challenge for me as well  

I have a couple of challenges this week...on Wednesday we have to go into “the big city” to run some errands.  Our routine in the past when we do a day trip is to go get a big bowl of our favourite won ton soup.  That’s out!  I think I’m safer taking some protein salad & spinach & some other veg to munch on than to try & find a place that’s compliant for me to eat at.  Hubby can pick up something.  The other thing is this weekend my son & his wife are coming out to stay.  I’m thinking I will just a roasted whole chicken & roasted veg for dinner.  He won’t be happy that I haven’t done any baking, but I can’t jeopardize myself by doing that  

on the other side of the coin I feel I’ve already accomplished something by following through & starting.  I picked this day about 3 weeks ago, to give me time to get ready.  My Dad passed away 2 weeks ago & my first reaction was “oh,  I’ll have to push back my starting date!”  But I talked myself through that one & kept today.  Not quite as prepared as I wanted to be, but I’ll manage!  

We’ve all accomplished something by being here!

Starting today as well.  This is my second Whole 30 - ok first one was 28 days as I cut a couple of days short due to a race.

Excited that I actually remembered to do this during a slow training period!  I really felt better and stronger after completing the 30(ish) days I did before stopping and smart carb loading for my trail race that went fantastic until I tripped and ripped open my hand - but leaving a trail of blood and needing 13 stitches I finished strong with a big old smile on my face.  I am saying this because I really did feel stronger in that race than I had for many others and I think it was the nutrition.

Nervous - about not being prepared (kinda a last minute decision), about wimping out, not having a good beer, giving in to the moment.

We can do this!  

6 hours ago, SalW said:

Shelly, I hear you about the mindless eating....that is my life!  That will be a challenge for me as well  

I have a couple of challenges this week...on Wednesday we have to go into “the big city” to run some errands.  Our routine in the past when we do a day trip is to go get a big bowl of our favourite won ton soup.  That’s out!  I think I’m safer taking some protein salad & spinach & some other veg to munch on than to try & find a place that’s compliant for me to eat at.  Hubby can pick up something.  The other thing is this weekend my son & his wife are coming out to stay.  I’m thinking I will just a roasted whole chicken & roasted veg for dinner.  He won’t be happy that I haven’t done any baking, but I can’t jeopardize myself by doing that  

on the other side of the coin I feel I’ve already accomplished something by following through & starting.  I picked this day about 3 weeks ago, to give me time to get ready.  My Dad passed away 2 weeks ago & my first reaction was “oh,  I’ll have to push back my starting date!”  But I talked myself through that one & kept today.  Not quite as prepared as I wanted to be, but I’ll manage!  

We’ve all accomplished something by being here!

I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad, but I'm super excited you are doing something great for yourself. Hopefully this will help you on your healing journey. You have definitely accomplished something by starting! Day one basically down. We've got this!

I hear you about eating out. This month our book club is going to a restaurant. I've already looked at the menu but Indian Food is going to be challenging. Still figuring that out.

Your son should understand....and you can always go crazy baking next time he visits after 29 more days. :)

So excited to see all of you on this thread. This is my first Whole30. I’ve had a shoulder injury since 2013 and as a result I’ve have had 4 surgeries in the last 4 years. As a result I’ve been less active and haven’t eaten well. Excited to see how I feel after removing sugar and dairy! Day one in the books! 

Hey Everyone: 

Finally checking in for the day. Thanks for sharing all your excited and nervous thoughts. 

One of the biggest challenges is repeating patterns and not making changes. It is only 30 days...We can all make simple changes, and continue to go forward. 

I kept it simple - had made some soup yesterday for today in my Instant Pot - still learning how to make things...I mean food.

Had an apple in the car on the way home.

I am super excited for everyone. Ya all still in and made day 1? And what one choice did you do today that made you proud of yourself...

Lanette

• Administrators
10 hours ago, SalW said:

And we’re off to the races!  My plate was pretty this morning...scrambled eggs, sautéed spinach & sugar snap peas, apple slices & black coffee. Doing protein salad with mashed avocado on spinach leaves for lunch & spaghetti squash with ground moose & tomato sauce for dinner. 

Don't forget a fat source with every meal. Cooking fat doesn't really count.

Hi everyone ! I am on day 8 and starting to feel less headachy and grumpy. I have been having bursts of energy! I think about food all of the time but I'm a good way-- like-- instead of arguing with myself about a stupid piece of chocolate at work I am able to say- okay, it's only 30 days! There is evidence to support the idea that I will tame my sugar dragon after the whole30 and not have these awful arguments and concurrent shame and guilt about sugar binges. 

I am also 52 Michaela and my partner said he wants to join me on my journey, too! Which is amazing because last weekend he ate sugar cookies in front of me and chips and popcorn and I didn't even hate him I was just like-- okay, honey. I feel like I'm going to get a handle on that junk food jones of mine but "you do you" and by the way have this delicious healthy dinner I made-- as much of it as you want! 

Good luck! I made up a compliant recipe tonight-- I even broiled the shrimp in my toaster oven and my 13 year old loved it! 

IMG_6404.JPG

3 hours ago, Shelly :) said:

I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad, but I'm super excited you are doing something great for yourself. Hopefully this will help you on your healing journey. You have definitely accomplished something by starting! Day one basically down. We've got this!

I hear you about eating out. This month our book club is going to a restaurant. I've already looked at the menu but Indian Food is going to be challenging. Still figuring that out.

Your son should understand....and you can always go crazy baking next time he visits after 29 more days. :)

Have tandoori chicken ! I think that might be on the compliant list!

8 hours ago, jenrunsaustin said:

@JenniferNoc what kind of veggie choppers did you get?  I want to find something that will cube a sweet potato into about 1/2 inch pieces (or sticks that I can then cut again to get the cubes)  I like roasting them, but hate cutting them

You only have to cut them in chunks and roast them longer. Don't stress!

Archived