Start date Mon. Feb 12th 2018

Micaela P

Hello ladies!!  Well, I should have read the re-introduction chapter....  I decided to start with grains so had two pieces of toast with breakfast. After lunch I started feeling bloaty & stomach crampy. I texted my daughter & asked if I could already be reacting to the toast & she said I should be starting with gluten-free, unrefined grains. I looked in the book & sure enough, that’s what it says. :wacko:  I am just feeling gross...I can’t believe it hit that quick!  I am going to be very careful from now on & check the book!  

PS I still haven’t had my choc chip cookie....  :P

How’s everyone else doing?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
7 minutes ago, SalW said:

Hello ladies!!  Well, I should have read the re-introduction chapter....  I decided to start with grains so had two pieces of toast with breakfast. After lunch I started feeling bloaty & stomach crampy. I texted my daughter & asked if I could already be reacting to the toast & she said I should be starting with gluten-free, unrefined grains. I looked in the book & sure enough, that’s what it says. :wacko:  I am just feeling gross...I can’t believe it hit that quick!  I am going to be very careful from now on & check the book!  

PS I still haven’t had my choc chip cookie....  :P

How’s everyone else doing?

You can do reintroductions in any order you want -- there is a suggested order that goes from least likely to cause issues, to most likely to, but the important part is not the order, it's that you do one food group at a time, have at least two days of Whole30 eating between food groups, and don't have a reintroduced food group again until you're done with reintroductions even if you didn't notice a problem with it.

Sorry you're feeling gross, but that is a reaction some people have with grains.

Thanks @ShannonM816.  Yes, I just picked grains because I asked my daughter, who is a Certified Holistic Nutrition Consultant, which I should start with & she suggested grains. Totally my own fault for not reading that part of the book to make them gluten-free & unrefined!  She had mentioned it could take 3 days for the effects to be felt (just like it says in the book, now that I’ve read it..ha!) so I knew to introduce one group at a time. I was just surprised at the speed it hit me!   :wacko:

Hi!!  I'm still here too!  Congrats to all of us!  Day 30 for me is today (WED) . Wow what a journey.  I will not ever go back to eating the way I did before Whole30 because my stomach never hurt one time for the entire 30 days and I just feel so much better, sleeping fantastic, thinking clearer, on and on...- not to mention my clothes fit so much better. :) Love that especially.

Tomorrow Day 31 I will re introduce legumes- Black beans- how did I ever live without you?, avocado and green chilis for breakfast, pb on bananas a little later in the day, and hummus as well. I bought the ingredients to make hummus and it looks super easy and delicious!.  

I think the things I have missed most are toast with butter, granola, and dark chocolate.  Not milk at all.  

Thank you for being here on the forum and posting on this thread. I have quickly read through your posts every couple days but was always in a hurry to either cook, clean, shop, or eat, I felt so overbusy but I loved knowing you were there and reading about what you were experiencing!

It was a comfort to read all your posts since the beginning. 

How was your Day 31 introduction?  What was it like to be POST Whole30?  I'll be there in the morning! YAE!

Thank you for being there and congrats on doing something really hard! And finishing!!!! Truly something to be proud of. 

I will be here- maybe i a little bit in the background but here nevertheless!  

Cheers!  

Jennifer

So I started my reintroduction with corn because I have had a suspicion about it. I've had tortilla chips at breakfast and lunch with no problem - they are every bit as delicious and crunchy as I remember, but surprisingly they taste a bit too salty now... I may have to get a low salt variety (I sound like my mom).  Tomorrow I'll try corn tortillas and Friday whole kernel...

But tonight I will have a small glass of wine as well, just to toast you all for your success and your support! 

It's great to hear about everyone's personal successes. Great sleep, clear head, clear skin, fewer aches including stomach aches, and the bonus is I lost 8 pounds. I think I may start again around April 2nd!

Cheers to you all!

@dnewc thats awesome! I gained a few pounds. :P But who's counting....  Let me know how the corn experiment works. And I'm impressed you're up for another go so soon. :)

I had peanut butter and garbanzo beans today. I meant to make hummus but ran out of time and just opened the can. My husband asked me if I wanted more stomach pain. Ha ha. Ooooh the veggies on this plan are so hurty on my tummy! Hope the legumes aren't.

@JenniferNoc have fun tomorrow on your reintro!!

@SalW really interesting about how the grains affected you. I'll do GF grains on Saturday. And I hope you enjoy that cookie.

I toasted all of you with my 2 glasses of wine. I enjoyed every single sip. Kinda feels like we've been running a marathon! I think. I mean I've never run a marathon, but...

Congrats everyone for finishing the Whole30!! My husband and I celebrated with champagne! 

I have to admit I was pretty discouraged when I got on the scale and saw that I had only lost 3 pounds. Today it is up to 4 pounds. I was hoping for more. My husband lost 8 pounds which did not help. I know it is not specifically a weight loss diet but after restricting so much and being quite hungry a lot of the time I expected more weight loss. Oh well. I'm not overweight BTW - just not wanting to give in to the middle-age weight gain that is so clearly happening to me at 53 years old. On a positive note, I do feel lighter, my pants fit better and I lost 1/2 inch in my waist. 

Reintroduced dairy yesterday and it seems to be going fine. Loooooove having milk in my coffee - it's the best part of my day! 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Micaela P said:

after restricting so much and being quite hungry a lot of the time I expected more weight loss.

You really shouldn't have been hungry a lot of the time. Should you decide to try a Whole30 again in the future, if you notice you're often hungry between meals, double check that you're eating according to the meal template (https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf), and if you aren't sure if you're doing it right, post in the Troubleshooting section of the forum (https://forum.whole30.com/forum/19-troubleshooting-your-whole30/) with some typical meals, and we'll see if we can't help you figure out how to fix it. 

@ShannonM816 Actually I meant "hungry" in a good way - not that I am starving - but rather, I can tell that I'm eating less and my stomach is grumbling a bit. I could tell that my stomach was shrinking over time, which is good, right? I followed the template pretty well but usually did a small snack in between lunch and dinner because I was actually hungry for it. At this point I'm not planning to do another Whole30 but I'm curious to know if you think that the snack is what kept me from losing more weight. My husband did the same thing but he lost twice as much as me! (I know, I know this is not supposed to be about weight loss.....but still curious) 

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, Micaela P said:

@ShannonM816 Actually I meant "hungry" in a good way - not that I am starving - but rather, I can tell that I'm eating less and my stomach is grumbling a bit. I could tell that my stomach was shrinking over time, which is good, right? I followed the template pretty well but usually did a small snack in between lunch and dinner because I was actually hungry for it. At this point I'm not planning to do another Whole30 but I'm curious to know if you think that the snack is what kept me from losing more weight. My husband did the same thing but he lost twice as much as me! (I know, I know this is not supposed to be about weight loss.....but still curious) 

No. No no no no no. No. Honestly, please do not go here. That's what "they" want you to think - the diet industry. THEY want you to believe that you eat too much or you're too big or you need to lose weight and take up less space or restrict or sub real food for supplemental food.  4# lost is a pound a week and for someone who is not overweight, that is an excellent result. You ate real food in quantities that supported your life and lifestyle, you ate when you were hungry between meals which is fine as you get used to meal composition and you lost four pounds!  

The second you go down the "maybe I should cut xyz or reduce my meal size" you're going backwards mentally because the diet mentality is EVIL. Embrace the amazing thing you accomplished! Embrace the 4 pounds and the half inch and the loose pants and all the other things that went well for you! (and don't compare your results to anyone else's, let alone a man - we're different creatures - it's not apples to apples)

Hi all -

How is the re-intro going for you? I'm still learning!!! The legumes did NOT treat me well. I was not expecting that as I ate peanut butter and hummus pretty regularly before. I introduced GF grains on Saturday and it seemed OK except my hip pain came back full force the last two nights so I'm wondering if its grains or wine or both. Back to clean eating today!

@Shelly :) - The re-intro is going okay for me.  I pretty much found that whole kernel corn treats my tummy the same as beans... so not too friendly. But the corn flour and chips seem okay. I just want to be mindful of the salt now. Re: hip pain - I have noticed I started getting more pain in my hip and back when I introduced alcohol... I am convinced it is sugars (could be sugar, refined carbs and/or alcohols). I will probably feel like hell tomorrow because I started sugar today. Not a whole lot but I did have a GF piece of cinnamon raisin bread toasted (new at TJ's - omg so yummy!), white rice with dinner, and a square of chocolate... and wine. 

I don't really miss dairy at all... except yogurt. I really like almond milk and vegan cheese, and you can get an "okay' almond milk yogurt so I probably won't introduce dairy at all this time.

I had some beer (maybe 2?) on St Paddy's day and got loopy quick... I am not normally a light weight. I did not appreciate the dim-headed feeling in the morning... but I will probably still have a glass of wine from time to time until I start my next Whole30 on April 2nd.  How silly does that sound?

Now I look forward to being on whole 30 rather than off... 

Hello!  I messed up my re-introduction....did grains the first 3 days & then it became a free for all (except dairy). I had a beer on Saturday as well @dnewc & man, did it hit me!  I was glad I didn’t have a second!  Cheap drunk....  :lol:  I’m trying to keep most of my meals as Whole30 compliant (today was totally Whole30, except how did 5 mini eggs find their way into my mouth??  ^_^)

i find I have tummy issues every so often...if I had done the re-introduction correctly I’d know what my issue is....doh!!

Good luck on your next round!

@dnewc interesting to know about the whole kernel corn. I have enjoyed a few cassava chips (Siete brand) to quench my chip desire and also to avoid excess corn. (I really like them though.) Regarding yogurt, have you tried the Coyo brand of coconut cream yogurt? I have to say its really good, not that weird texture and flavor some of the other faux milk yogurts have. No sugar added so you can spice it up with fruit, granola, etc. But it has a high fat content so it was a good alternative to my regular avos. I liked the berry and mango but not the chocolate flavor. http://coyo.com/us/

I was visiting my mom this week and she told me in advance what she was going to make and I was excited that it would work for me (no dairy). But then in the middle of me eating the chicken salad, she said, "oh and the secret ingredient is yogurt!." WHAT? Oh well...so funny that it was the situation straight out the the Whole30 book. 

@SalW I did have my first chocolate yesterday. I got a super dark bar...just had a hint of sweetness but still. Sugar in there! Funny about those MINI eggs! :)  And I'm with you...trying to keep most meals Whole30. Oh and I made the sheppards pie! So good. My husband said he wants that every week. Also keeping up with eating before working out and eating larger breakfasts. 

The best part of this plan for me was just increasing my awareness around food. 

I've reintroduced every category at this point (slowly but definitely did not follow the suggestions in the book). I haven't noticed any particular issues - I guess I'm lucky in that regard! I've continued to eat very healthy and have only had a little bit of sugar - and I could definitely feel the sugar dragon coming out when I did. I'm motivated to continue the health kick for one more week because after that I'm off to Mexico and all diets are off!! :) 

@SalW @Shelly :) OMG those MINI eggs are my absolute downfall - I just hope I don't see any until Easter is over and they are out of the stores! I can't wait to eat dark chocolate again - but will wait until after vacation to reintroduce. As for alcohol - I've had the same experiences - cheap drunk + hate the brain fog the next day. Yet it's Friday night and the wine is calling my name! 

I’m still sort of following the reintroduction (still need to do legumes). I felt pretty sick after dairy, but everything else went well. Thinking I need to do another 30 days soon. I was pleased with my weight loss and definitely have more willpower when I’m doing it. 

Archived