Hungry + Poor Digestion + Low Quality Sleep

april_espi

Hello everyone, I'm on Day 8 and have had a smooth sailing up until a few days ago. I haven't experienced the "kill all the things" phase and haven't had an issue with cravings. However, over the last 3-4 days, I've struggled with being hungry constantly, lack of bowel movements (when I do go, it's non-relieving), and tossing and turning throughout the night. A couple days ago, I woke up at 2am to a growing stomach. I'm eating Whole30 meals, cooking with oils or ghee, and have focused on eating mostly protein and fat sources. If I do have fruit or potatoes, it's either when I know I have a busy day or before a workout. Due to having more time, I've increased the frequency and intensity of my workouts which MIGHT explain some of the hunger but it still doesn't seem right. This morning, I did a workout from 530-6a, about an hour later I had a serving of W30 egg frittata AND a chicken sausage (from Trader Joes). 2 hours later I was starving. Not expecting to be hungry so soon, I had an RX bar which satisfied my hunger a bit. 2 hours later I had my lunch which was a hefty serving of W30 shepherd's pie (with sweet potato, not cauliflower mash). That kept me filled for 3 hours and then I was starving again. This is a bit frustrating as I do usually get full when I'm done eating. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for the help!

-April

• Administrators

Can you explain the portion sizes? How many eggs per serving of frittata. What veggies and what fat did you have with that meal? What fat was with the shepherds pie? My guess is you're undereating. What are you eating for pre and post workout (should be in addition to your meals)?

On 2/12/2018 at 7:58 PM, ladyshanny said:

Can you explain the portion sizes? How many eggs per serving of frittata. What veggies and what fat did you have with that meal? What fat was with the shepherds pie? My guess is you're undereating. What are you eating for pre and post workout (should be in addition to your meals)?

Let's see, in a serving of frittata, there were two eggs. Basically, I used a 9' diameter baking dish and cut it into four slices. In the chicken sausage link that I ate with breakfast, it contained 7g of fat, and quite a bit of protein (about 15g I think).  In the shepherd's pie, I don't remember the fat content, but it was the recipe from the W30 book. I believe there was coconut oil and....yea I can't remember at the moment. I baked the pie in a 9 x 14 dish and split it into 3 portions....because that's how much I eat, believe it or not. 

As for pre and post workout, if I work out at 5 am, I won't eat anything. I get up and within 10 min, I'm downstairs doing at-home HIIT. With this same schedule, I'm rushing out the door so my breakfast IS my post-workout (I eat within the hour). Other days, if I'm still full from breakfast, I won't have a pre-workout. Otherwise, I'll have a boiled egg. Post workout, another egg. I've gathered information from other threads similar to mine and found that a boiled egg, pre and post workout seems to be the norm. 

After I posted this, I began incorporating more fats. I added more to my pan when cooking, added dressings to my foods and added some oil to my coffee (about 1/2 teaspoon per cup). I'm sure I'm eating enough starchy carbs. I'm just about tired of squash but don't want to switch to potatoes if it's going to inhibit the fat-adaption process. 

However, despite a nice filling dinner, this morning I woke up hungry with a slight headache. After having my cup of coffee, almond milk, and coconut oil, I got up and got extremely busy. Luckily my bed was nearby- it was an intense few seconds. 

Thoughts? I really appreciate your help and feedback!

-April

Archived