Hello,

My name is Shannon and I am a 49 year old mother of 4.   I have been experiencing fatigue for years and my doctors have not been helpful. I do have what I presume is Hashimoto's thyroiditis.  My doctors have never used those words but from what I have read there are only 3 causes of a hypothyroidism and I definitely don't have 2 of them.   Most recently my doctor suggested I needed a psychiatrist.  Yikes.  Not because he thinks I'm nuts but because I do suffer from some anxiety and depression.  I have been on antidepressants but hated them.  I would like to treat whatever is going on naturally.  I know I already have a few sensitivities to chemical additives so have been avoiding those for years.   I do like to cook from scratch at home but mostly dinner.  I am not a breakfast person.  It looks like I will need to fix that....  

I plan to start on Ash Wednesday and make this my lenten discipline.  There should be enough time for me to do the reintroduction as well.  

Hello Shannon,

I too until recently was running on empty suffering from extreme fatigue.   I have been able to determine my reasons which enabled me to think and project in a more clear direction which leads me to now to be able to look at next steps of self-improvement including diet which furthermore lead me to the W30.  This food regime on this site, to me, seems to be the most practice and not a fad... this food discipline is one that is one the our parents and grandparent knew and observed.  Anyway...

You mention the word "presume."   Have you have full blood work test done?  My doctor suspected a thyroid imbalance and blood test ruled it out.  We also tested for vitamin D deficiency which was confirmed from the blood work.  This is generally not part of normal blood work and needs to be specifically requested by the doctor for the lab to check.  I take a vitamin capsule supplement 1000 units daily. 

After the blood work, my doctor and I were able to still work on the exhaustion symptoms as the added vitamin D supplements did not significantly improvement my symptoms.  We explored sleep quality.  In my case,  after a sleep study determined, that I have apnea.  Mine is mild- only having occurrences about 10 times a minute, but compared to more sever cases, it is enough to disrupt a quality sleep.  I have been on CPAP therapy (autoPAP to be specific) and after 14 months it has made a HUGE change in my energy.  I wake up after a more complete night's sleep for the first time in years.  Because of better sleep I can evaluate better my next steps of improvement- hence me focusing on diet and mixing in some exercise which for years I was not able to do.  My fatigue as a result has lessened and when I add mild exercise it has really improved my outlook.

Perhaps it might be worth asking the apnea question with your doctor.  More folks have it than one might realize.  I cannot presume it to be your case, but it is worth broaching the subject.  I know what fatigue and exhaustion is like and it is not fun. 

Be well my friend.  Good luck and God bless- frank.

• 2 weeks later...

Shannon, do you have access to a good naturopath?  I went thru the same thing -- mind numbing fatigue for years, but my doctor always said he couldn't find anything wrong.  Finally went to an excellent naturopath and she found thru testing that I had moderately poor thyroid function. Even at MODERATE, I could hardly function.  Had to literally drag myself thru the day, my life was pretty much ruined.  Since then I have found out my adrenals are very poor too, but I'm slowly regaining some normalcy and hoping this plan (W30) will help me even further.  So far it does seem to be helping and I'm on day 24.  If you can, get to a GOOD naturopath; most likely they could help you.  By good, I mean a sensible professional, not so much the "voodoo" type.  That's not meant to offend anyone, just going by my own experience.

Archived