Second Round - Need to get back on track!

goldenangel23

My boyfriend and I started our second Whole 30 yesterday.  We did our first round about 2 years ago, and have gone way off track since then.

We did meal planning and prep on Sunday, and started yesterday. 

Meal 1 - roasted veggies and ground turkey (potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnips, carrots, onions, brussel sprouts, mushrooms and zucchini)

Meal 2 - Nicoise salad

Meal 3 - Cracklin chicken thighs, roasted veggies.  After dinner we split an orange to clear out the fattiness of the chicken.

Good start to our 30 days!

Thanks Jager! 

Day 2 was mostly the same as Day 1, just with a slightly different chicken for dinner. 

I slept really well, but had a very intense dream that I was eating a chocolate cupcake with raspberry frosting.  I don't even like chocolate cake, so I was very entertained.  And I was quite glad when I woke up and realized I didn't actually eat it.  :D

Day 3 - Valentine's Day!

Meal 1 - roasted veggies & ground turkey.  I also have a banana and coffee every day, which I guess I should list.

Meal 2 - Nicoise salad, but with chicken instead of tuna.  A few blueberries and an orange.

Meal 3 - Seared salmon with an amazing side dish of roasted spaghetti squash, broccoli, compliant bacon and a sauce of coconut milk & nutritional yeast.  So creamy!  'Dessert' was blackberries and an orange shared with the boyfriend.

Dinner was a nice change of pace, since it's been a lot of tuna and chicken lately.  Sleep last night wasn't great, not sure why.

Day 4 - Still going

Meal 1 - roasted veggies & ground turkey.  banana and coffee.

Meal 2 - My first foray into eating out.  Lunch for a co-worker's birthday.  I had a burger with mushrooms, lettuce, tomato and avocado and a side salad.  Not bad.

Meal 3 - spicy sweet potato tuna cakes & plantain chips.  I didn't love the plantain chips, they were a bit too crunchy.  My bf loved them and ate them with his new favorite salsa.

It was unusually warm here, so we went for a 30 minute walk when I got home from work.  It was a nice change, just to be outside with a heavy jacket.

Friday Day 5 - 

Meal 1 - ground turkey, roasted cauliflower, banana and coffee 

Meal 2 - tuna cakes, leftover spaghetti squash from valentine's day dinner, green beans

Meal 3 - dinner at my bf's mom's house.  She made roasted chicken, sweet potatoes and veggies. We brought an orange for our dessert, since she usually serves cookies. She also had some strawberries. It's nice to be supported and have people want to know the rules, and not just complain about what we're eating. 

Saturday

Meal 1 - eggs bacon and potatoes. Coffee

Meal 2 - much latest than we normally eat lunch. Turkey hot dogs, roasted cauliflower, and bacon wrapped jalapeños filled with cashew cheese. They were great! 

Meal 3 - barely hungry, but had some roasted chicken and almond stuffed olives. Shared an orange. 

Also went for an hour long walk yesterday. Haven't had a headache since we started. Feeling pretty good! 

Day 7 (Sunday)

Meal 1 - eggs, potatoes & avocado.  coffee

Meal 2 - roasted chicken & jalapeno poppers

Meal 3 - salmon & shishito peppers, a few olives

Still feeling good, happy to keep going.  Didn't sleep so well last night, but I think it's because I have a hard time temperature-wise.  I have my heavy blanket, but it's always falling off, or I'm too hot with it on.  Strange weather makes for strange sleeping.

Day 8

Meal 1 - breakfast casserole of eggs w/ coconut milk & nutritional yeast, chorizo, brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes, asparagus and mushrooms.  Coffee and banana

Meal 2 - salad w/ chicken, pumpkin seeds, avocado, cucumber, olives and raisins.  Also an apple.

Meal 3 - Jalapeno turkey burger w/ avocado and carrot fries.  This was all so good! 

Still feel good.  Haven't been tempted by anything yet.  My friends are good about not offering me anything I can't have, but I don't think I'd be tempted anyway.

Day 9

Meal 1 - breakfast casserole, banana, coffee

Meal 2 - We had box lunches provided for a team meeting, but luckily, I packed lunch as usual.  Lunch provided was sandwiches, salad with dressing and cheese already added, chips and soda.  I had a salad w/ chicken, nuts, raisins, olives and avocado.  also a coconut La Croix.

Meal 3 - Bulgogi lettuce wraps and microwaved veggies.  Bulgogi was really good.

It was a beautiful day here, so we went for a walk before dinner.

I'm feeling great throughout the day, but don't seem to be sleeping well.  I seem to toss and turn and wake up often.  Hopefully I start to sleep better soon!

Happy Day 10!  Any day ending in "0" is a big deal.

Congrats on taking a solid stand at your team lunch!

Do you have a recipe for the Bulgogi that you can share?  And COCONUT LaCroix...??  I've never seen that flavor, but would love to try it.

Thank you and have a fabulous day!

Here's the recipes for the bulgogi.  I found it on the whole30recipe instagram account.  We didn't use kimchi or red onion and it was delicious.  I would have liked something like waterchestnuts for a little extra crunch.

For the Bulgogi Marinade:
2.5 lbs. boneless beef chuck short ribs, flank steak, trimmed hangar steak, or ribeye
2 tbsp. olive or avocado oil
1/4 cup coconut aminos
2 tbsp. toasted sesame oil
1/2 pear, grated (I use a microplane)
1 tsp. red boat fish sauce
1.5 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
1 tsp. minced garlic (about 4 cloves)
1 tsp. freshly peeled and grated ginger
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (or less, to taste)
kosher salt, to taste

For Serving:
1 head of bibb lettuce
kimchi
Green onions, sliced (green parts only)
1/4 red onion, sliced very thinly
#
Using a sharp knife, Trim off excess fat from the beef. Slice the short ribs into long, thin strips. Place sliced beef in a bowl.
Add the remaining marinade ingredients to the beef and toss until coated evenly in the marinade.
Cover and let marinade for at least 4 hours, but preferably all day.
You can either grill the meat on an outdoor grill, or in a cast iron skillet indoors. Heat the grill or skillet over high heat and get it nice and hot. Cook beef for 2-3 minutes
per side. Try to get the meat off when it is brown on the exterior and there is still a little pink color to the interior. Continue until all of the meat is cooked through.
Serve meat in lettuce cups with kimchi and onions. Enjoy!

Day 11

Meal 1 - Breakfast casserole, banana, coffee

Meal 2 - leftover bulgogi wraps & an orange, coconut La Croix

Meal 3 - enchilada chicken in the crockpot (just chicken w/ leftover enchilada sauce & salsa) on sweet potato 'buns' that was really more like a fritter, with avocado.  Another really good meal.  Also had buffalo cauliflower that I wasn't a fan of.  Maybe too much vinegar, it was really sharp tasting.

I slept pretty well last night, better than I have been lately. 

Day 11

Meal 1 - Breakfast casserole, banana, coffee

Meal 2 - leftover enchilada chicken on sweet potato 'bun' with avocado.  Orange, coconut La Croix

Meal 3 - Stuffed acorn squash

Slept well again last night, although I did have a terrible headache during the work day.  The headache was caused by stress at work and lack of water.  I usually chug water all day long, but got stuck in 3 hours of meetings (that I was running) without water.  Not a great combo.  Drank some water, took some medicine and went for a walk, and headache went away. 

Day 12 

Meal 1 - scrambled eggs w/ leftover stuffing from acorn squash, banana, coffee

Meal 2 - stuffed acorn squash w/ salsa & avocado, orange

Meal 3 - Went out to dinner w/ friends.  I had roasted chicken w/ roasted potatoes, brussel sprouts and mushrooms.  Seltzer w/ lime.  Had a great time and wasn't tempted by the nachos or cheesy crab fries they shared as an appetizer.  They all know about the Whole 30, so there was no pressure.  Some questions and teasing, but that's the usual.  Great night with friends and I didn't feel like I was missing out.

Day 13 

Meal 1 - Chilaquiles.  Not really, but that's what it was supposed to emulate, I guess.  They were really good, but I wish the chips were crunchy.  It was sweet potato 'chips' (the recipe said to saute in a single layer in a pan.  I thinly sliced 2 sweet potatoes.  That would have taken forever!  We did that with some, and put others under the broiler.  Nothing was very crispy.  And as my bf looked at the recipe last night, he realized one of the ingredients was '1 cup carnitas'.  So he had to run to the store to get some pork and throw it in the crock pot.  While the recipe was a bit of a pain, it was delicious.  sweet potato chips topped with carnitas, fried eggs, avocado and green onion.  You can really throw anything else on top too radishes, salsa, guacamole, green pepper.  I'm looking forward to leftovers tomorrow.  And now we have some pulled pork for other meals too.

Meal 2 - We went grocery shopping all morning, so we had a late lunch.  Flounder, shishito peppers and tostones.  My boyfriend has really wanted something crunchy, and tostones did well for that.  He was so happy.  This round of Whole 30 was my idea, so I'm trying to help more with food prep and cleaning.  I really want to keep him happy with his meals, because I want him to feel good throughout this too.

I sometimes get a little carsick, and that happened on the way to grocery stores today.  We drove to the 'good' stores (Wegmans, Whole Foods and Trader Joe's) which are about 40 minutes away.  I usually have ginger chews or a peppermint when I start to feel carsick, but couldn't today.  Once we got to Wegman's I had peppermint tea and felt a lot better.  

Meal 3 - This will be leftovers from dinner last night, and some sort of potato.  

It's gross and rainy here today, so I'm pampering myself this afternoon.  I put on a face mask, sugar scrubbed my hands and lips, and am getting ready to paint my nails.  Then I'm going to read a book and maybe have some more tea.  The boyfriend is going out to dinner with his friend tonight, so I'll probably meal plan for next week while he's out.  Still happy and going strong on Day 13!

Day 14 -

Meal 1 - more chilaquiles.  I think this meal made me hit a wall with the amount of meat we've been eating.  I wanted salad for lunch, I just couldn't handle more meat and root veggies. 

Meal 2 - Salad w/ small amount of pork.  This made me much happier.

Meal 3 - West African chicken stew from wellfed.  This was SO GOOD!  I added kale at the end for some veggies, and we had it over cauliflower rice.  This might be my favorite meal so far.  Had an orange after dinner.

Tons of meal prep today.  Roasted veggies, meat bagels for the boyfriend's breakfast, taco skillet for mine, made our own mayo, lots of chopping.  It just makes me feel good to have it all ready and meals planned.  Also made our own larabars, which are quite good, just a little crumbly.

Day 15!  Halfway!

Meal 1 - taco skillet - ground turkey w/ sweet potatoes, spinach and taco seasoning, banana & coffee

Meal 2 - W. African chicken stew w/ cauliflower rice and an orange.  Berry seltzer

Meal 3 - Carnitas w/ a side of roasted veggies.

Snack - blueberries & a homemade larabar. 

Slept well last night, feeling pretty good.  What I'm mainly waiting for is for my clothes to fit better.  But I feel great.

Day 16

Meal 1 - taco skillet, banana, coffee

Meal 2 - tuna salad w/ veggies & lettuce

Meal 3 - chicken shwarma w/ tomato & cucumber salad, 1/2 orange

Had tons of energy today.  Went for a walk after work, then cleaned the bathroom. 

I really wanted a snack yesterday before lunch, but I think it's just because I was a little bored at work.  I drank water instead (which I do constantly anyway) and powered through.  I was pretty proud of myself, because I have been having a snack if I want, maybe a few blueberries, or a larabar.  But I don't need them, they're just filler because I don't want to concentrate.  So I'm going to try and do a better job of avoiding snacks except when I actual need one.

Day 17

Meal 1 - taco skillet, coffee.  Forgot to bring my banana to work.

Meal 2 - shwarma in lettuce cups w/ cucumber & tomato salad.  Orange, blueberries & raspberries.  Seltzer.

Meal 3 - spaghetti squash w/ hot dogs and a side of french fries.  Weird.

I had a larabar after lunch yesterday.  I probably had too much fruit at lunch.  Had the evening to myself and got to read my book.  I can't wait to finish it!  But I still have about 100 pages left.  That's the problem with 600 page books...

Day 19

Meal 1 - taco skillet, coffee, banana

Meal 2 - turkey w/ mashed potatoes & a bag of microwave veggies

Meal 3 - strange onion-y chicken, sweet potato, and broccoli.  A few strawberries for 'dessert'.  Prepared by the bf's mother.  She was very willing to cook compliant meals for us for our regular friday night dinner.  I really appreciate that.  

My boyfriend has really been missing crunch in his meals, and I don't know what to do to help.  We tried pickles, but he didn't like the ones we found.  We're going to have water chestnuts and maybe almond slivers in our stir fry this week.  Tostones worked a little, but I don't think they were crunchy enough.  Anyone have a suggestion?  He has had carrots and celery, and it's just not what he wants.  I know he's really missing bread, but don't know how to make him happier about the food we are eating.

Day 20:

Meal 1 - Waffled hasbrowns (just shredded potatoes in the waffle maker... looking for crunch) with bacon and fried eggs

Meal 2 - leftover turkey with kale

Meal 3 - salmon with spinach, asparagus and mushrooms.  Sparkling water with lime.

My best friends came up for the weekend and we went out for tapas for dinner.  It was challenging to find somewhere where I could eat happily and so could my vegan best friend.  This place was perfect!  They specified that the salmon was cooked in coconut oil, and the vegan and I split the asparagus and mushroom dishes. 

I also consider it a huge NSV for getting through this weekend without a drink.  My best friends have been my best friends since college, so drinking is how we bonded.  They have kids now, so they drink often, and especially when they're away from their kids.  I wanted them to have a chance to get away and have fun, and I knew I could have fun with them without drinking.  One was especially peer pressure-y, which I was surprised by.  I think she just wanted to make sure that I was doing this for myself, and not to please my boyfriend.  I'm not totally sure.  Once she heard it was my idea for the whole 30, she backed off.  And she kept calling it the Starving 30.  I think once she saw how much I could eat, and I explained why I was doing it and that it's not forever, it's to take control of my emotional and bored eating, she really got it.  So maybe that's 2 big NSV's.  :)

Day 21:

Meal 1 - mushroom omelet and home fries.  Lots of coffee.

Meal 2 - mocha rubbed beef w/ sweet potato

Ate meal 1 much later than usual and it was huge.  Had an orange for a snack around 3, then had dinner around 6.  Mocha beef was disappointing.  Not very flavorful and tough.  Definitely not a keeper.

Lots of meal prep for the week.  I really like planning our meals for the whole week.  It cuts out uncertainty, helps us not buy too much or things that we don't have a plan for at the grocery store and just makes me feel prepared. 

Day 22:

Meal 1 - Taco skillet, banana and coffee

Meal 2 - tuna cake over spinach and tomatoes and olives, some blueberries

Meal 3 - jalapeno turkey burgers w/ shishito peppers and mango.  orange.

I feel like I'm getting a little frustrated as we enter the final stretch here.  I'm getting headaches and I don't know why.  My pants aren't any looser.  I feel pretty good otherwise, but just a little frustrated.

Archived