Need help with food prep with extreme fatigue

sherrys

I have sjogren's and fibromyalgia. At the moment I am in a fibro flare up. From what I've read from the book so far, the whole30 plan could help bring me out of the flare up and give me more energy.  My problem is with my extreme fatigue I would love to shop and cook, but it proves to be painful at the moment. I mean, I have to rest for an hour after a short shower....I know the plan wants me chewing my food, but I wondered if I could start by using the nutribullet to prepare some whole30 compliant drinks that can be prepared and frozen ? My husband travels during the week so I don't have help cooking during the week.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, sherrys said:

I have sjogren's and fibromyalgia. At the moment I am in a fibro flare up. From what I've read from the book so far, the whole30 plan could help bring me out of the flare up and give me more energy.  My problem is with my extreme fatigue I would love to shop and cook, but it proves to be painful at the moment. I mean, I have to rest for an hour after a short shower....I know the plan wants me chewing my food, but I wondered if I could start by using the nutribullet to prepare some whole30 compliant drinks that can be prepared and frozen ? My husband travels during the week so I don't have help cooking during the week.

You CAN make smoothies, and as long as they're whole30 ingredient compliant then you're technically doing a Whole30 but I don't think that a load of fruit and sugar is going to help.  What if your husband helped you to prep food on the weekend that you could freeze that was a bit better?  Ask him to make a frittatta and then cut it up into pieces... you don't even have to freeze it - it'll last in the fridge for a week.  Ask your husband to put a stewing hen into a pot of water with some carrot, celery and onion, stew it on simmer for five hours, pick the chicken off the bones, throw out the stewed veggies and then chop up some mushrooms, onion and add the chicken back with lemon juice and coconut milk and you can make a quick version of Tom Kha Gai.  I think even tho you're having a hard time, if you and husband plan for what you can make that is a bit more suitable to the plan and robust in terms of nutrients, you're probably going to come out of your flare sooner than sucking back smoothies.

• 2 weeks later...

I can absolutely sympathize! I struggle with depression and extreme adrenal fatigue, so tasks that most people find easy seem to me like running a marathon! However, I'm on day 10 of my first Whole30 and I have to say that with the right preparation, I'm squeaking by. My favorite technique so far has been to cook with ingredients that don't require much cooking at all. For example, I'll make a huge veggie scramble and throw in some cut-up organic chicken hotdogs. Those are already fully cooked and really only require a re-heating. If I pick the right veggies (I usually do bell peppers, carrots, rutabagas, mushrooms, etc.) all I have to do is chop them up, throw them in a pot or pan with plenty of ghee and some spices, and let them cook on their own, stirring occasionally. When I do this I make sure to make enough to last me the whole week, and I just store the extra in the fridge. I may not be getting a lot of variety, but while I'm getting my energy back, having the food in the fridge is a blessing. 

I think the part of this process that saps the most of my energy is prepping and cutting all the veggies--it takes me about 45 minutes because I take frequent breaks. Maybe you could buy the pre-cut ones from the supermarket or even some frozen ones? That would make the process even simpler. The cooking itself takes 15-20 minutes, depending on how soft you like your veggies. 

I hope this helps! My Nutritional Therapy Practitioner always reminds me to listen to my body--if it's telling me I need to rest, then I should rest, even if I just woke up two hours before. I will tell you that even after only 10 days I've noticed more energy on the Whole30 protocol. Here's to hoping it lasts!

Good luck <3 

• 1 month later...

I can absolutely sympathize because I also have Fibromyalgia and I also have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I also have an 18 month old daughter. Luckily my husband help me and I grocery shop online with Instacart which really helps with energy!! Someone else does my shopping for me and delivers it....but I'm definitely worried about the prep sapping my energy. Trying to keep it simple. Starting my Whole30 4/16! 

• 2 weeks later...

A slowcooker has been my best friend in the first days of W30 when I still struggled with fatigue from a severe burnout. I'd buy prechopped veggies and protein, plonk them in with some broth and have myself a hearthy stew for days.

Precooking mealcomponents can be done when you feel a bit better: like today I'll make ovenroasted potatoes for three days and eat them with leftover stew and a salad. Tomorrow I'll make something new in the slowcooker to pair with the potatoes and maybe some carrots from a jar. Then the following day I'll have potatoes and stew and just need to precook some veggies for a few days... rinse and repeat... that way you'll eat different each day but still only have to cook one component each day.

What about having your hubby buy veggies already ready to go, like fresh ones from the store. I’ve actually resorted to using a premade veggie tray. Steamable bags of frozen veggies. Add some canned tuna or chicken that is Whole30 compliant and you’ve got a make shift meal in just two minutes. 

On 09/04/2018 at 6:19 AM, JMT1127 said:

I can absolutely sympathize because I also have Fibromyalgia and I also have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I also have an 18 month old daughter. Luckily my husband help me and I grocery shop online with Instacart which really helps with energy!! Someone else does my shopping for me and delivers it....but I'm definitely worried about the prep sapping my energy. Trying to keep it simple. Starting my Whole30 4/16! 

Just reading threads and saw this - how’s it going?? 

I sympathise! I’m getting over surgery and v easily crash and burn. Now on day 3 of my 3rd round and after a mass of cooking I’ve remembered the joy of roasting chicken! I’m putting in a big one for this eve with easy veg ( can just have with a bag of salad and home made 5sec mayo with - if you want them - baked pots or sweet pots.) 

will ask husband to strip the chicken and will have again as salad with avacado 

and I’ll stuff all the gubbins in the slow cooker overnight with a carrot and stick of celery and some salt and make some nutrient dense bone broth to drink as a snack or bung in a load of stir fry veg ( comes in bags) and chopped cooked chicken and grated ginger for a lunch. 

So glad I remembered roast chicken! The meal planning has been slightly doing my head in but with a vast frittata and a chicken we can conquer the world! 

Good luck all

Archived