Help labeling my sensitivity (sensitivities)?

Hi all,

R3D4 here.  I've discovered a list of foods that I am definitely sensitive to (gas/GI upset), but I can't figure out what, if anything, they have in common.  It seems like they each belong to a different major category.  Any help you could offer would be appreciated!

-Bell peppers (nightshade - but tomatoes seem fine)

-Apples (fructose?  I know I'm extremely sensitive to aspartame and other artificial sugars, so maybe?)

-Lactose (another vote in the "fructose" category, but it's fine in small doses as long as I haven't just finished a Whole30)

-Cabbage and onion (FODMAPs - but soy seems fine)

Any insights?  I'm trying to draw a Venn diagram that accounts for all this, ideally the smallest diagram possible because this thing is tough enough to stick with even *with* my delicious, delicious onions.

Thanks folks.

But it doesn't have to. You can't have bell peppers, but tomatoes are okay so (right now), you don't need to cut out tomatoes. Maybe apples aren't okay, but berries or cantaloupe might be (they're lower fructose fruits). Think less about categories and more about keeping lists of individual fruits and vegetables with your reactions to them. 

• Administrators

It's also, often, dose dependant. So maybe onions are only troublesome when you've also had a lot of broccoli and kale. With something like this it would do you well to keep a detailed food journal and add things back very slowly. Our moderator @jmcbn had a very involved reintro thread a couple years ago because she was trying to work out sensitivities and dose.

On 2/14/2018 at 2:27 PM, almondjoyless said:

Hi all,

R3D4 here.  I've discovered a list of foods that I am definitely sensitive to (gas/GI upset), but I can't figure out what, if anything, they have in common.  It seems like they each belong to a different major category.  Any help you could offer would be appreciated!

-Bell peppers (nightshade - but tomatoes seem fine)

-Apples (fructose?  I know I'm extremely sensitive to aspartame and other artificial sugars, so maybe?)

-Lactose (another vote in the "fructose" category, but it's fine in small doses as long as I haven't just finished a Whole30)

-Cabbage and onion (FODMAPs - but soy seems fine)

Any insights?  I'm trying to draw a Venn diagram that accounts for all this, ideally the smallest diagram possible because this thing is tough enough to stick with even *with* my delicious, delicious onions.

Thanks folks.

Yup. As @ladyshanny has said you'd do well to keep a detailed food diary noting dose & food combinations as this may well play a role in how your gut handles specific foods. It can be time consuming, but definitely worth it... and with a period of elimination you may find you'll be able to tolerate all of these foods again provided you attention to 'load'

Archived