Vacation interruptions during reintroduction phase

cindan

• Administrators

Quitting the Whole30 early to do reintroductions isn't recommended because we really need that full 30 days to provide maximum gut healing.

You'll have a couple days to do reintroductions, maybe focus on the things that you know you'll want to eat on the trip and then create time when you get back to do a Whole30 with proper reintroductions. The reintro is really where a majority of the value lies in a Whole30 so if you can create time to do the whole thing from front to back, that will provide you very valuable information.

Maybe try a combination fast-track + slow roll reintroduction?  In other words, follow @ladyshanny's advice and fast-track as many items you reasonably can, then for vacation shift to a "slow roll" where you only reintro items that are really really worth it.  Depending on where you're going, that may be really hard if the cuisine has a lot of mixing of non-compliant items (I'm trying to think of a good example, but say, Japan, and you wanted to enjoy the sushi but it combines rice and soy, so having that item even though 'worth it,' if you had a bad reaction you wouldn't know if it was the soy or the rice); also it may be difficult if you don't speak the language and can't inquire about what's exactly in each dish.  Are you going somewhere that you think might lend itself to a lot of Whole-30 possibilities?  (Again, I'm thinking of something like steakhouses, etc.)  Maybe if you start thinking about potential whole-30ish possibilities, you can tell better if you could continue your reintroduction even on vacation.

For what it's worth, I have a mini vacation this weekend in Vegas, and this is what I'm doing - I did a fast track of wine, added sugar, and then non-gluten grains (although it hasn't been that fast, I've had about 2-4 days of W30 compliance in between, and the reintro phases have lasted about 4 days each).  In Vegas I plan to attempt a slow roll and only go off plan if I find something is really worth it (but I've selected restaurants that I know ahead of time will have nice W30 options).  After returning, I have a Whole-7 planned to re-calibrate and then go right back to the rest of my reintros.

Not sure if it'll work (I leave tomorrow, so I'll let you know Tues how it went!), but I think it helps to have some sort of plan and vision of how you want to continue after the vacation.  I've done two previous W30s, and this one is by far the most effective because I've really committed to the reintro process, fwiw.

Archived