Starting new-- unsure - snacking?

CHING

Hello friends - Starting tomorrow and a little nervous.  I won't have trouble with the meals as I was already eating my meals fairly compliantly; however, I see snacks or lack of snacks as a hurdle.. the idea of no snack .. had used weight watchers to lose 20lbs. and snacking after 3 hours is encouraged.. so the idea of going 6 hours without eating seems unnatural.. so I guess I should snack on  protein ( but no string cheese) so-Does anyone regularly snack or do we try to do without?

• Moderators

We don't recommend going 6 hours without eating. When you get the size of your meals worked out, you'll be able to easily go 4-5 hours between meals without eating (and sometimes, some people do go longer, but again, we don't expect you to, it's just something that works for some people). If you're going 4-5 hours not feeling hungry, you won't need to snack.

If you do need to eat between meals, try to have a mix of protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three. A hard boiled egg with mayo and some chopped vegetables like carrots, celery, or bell pepper strips. Leftovers. Some chicken with guacamole. A pack of olives. 

The meal template explains what your meals should look like:  https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf  -- 1-2 palm-sized portions of protein, or if eggs are your only protein, as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand; 1-2 thumb-sized portions of fat, or 1/2 to a whole avocado, or a heaping handful of coconut flakes or olives, or a small handful of seeds or nuts -- pick one or two of these, in addition to oil you cook in; fill your plate with vegetables (2-3 cups at each meal). Occasionally, have some fruit with a meal if you want it, but try to limit that to not more than two servings a day most of the time. Most people do well with one fist-sized serving of starchy vegetable each day, but people who are active, who are prone to depression or anxiety, or women who are pregnant, nursing, or in the week or so leading up to their period often need more. Starchy vegetables include potatoes, sweet potatoes, other root vegetables like carrots, parsnips, turnips, or beets, and winter squashes like acorn or butternut squash.

Archived