Living Whole 30


Jahmanrv

Recommended Posts

Hi, my name is Julie. Over two and half years ago, I weighed in at 192 pounds and 5'5" tall. Yup a bit overweight. I was suffering from severe depression mostly due to my vision loss and having to go on permanent disability. I couldn't sleep through the whole night, since I suffered from such heartburn and indigestion issues. A week would not go by without having at least one or two migraines. Basically, I was a hot mess.

In October of 2015, I was visiting with a friend, was is going through chemo treatments. She was reading the Whole 30 Food Freedom book and raving about it. So, she explained the program to me, and I ordered the book through Kindle right then and there. When I got home a week later, I cleaned out the Kitchen, and started my 30day journey. It was rough for the first week, but have to say after that, it really just became a way of eating. I didn't think anymore, and even the cravings after the first week, pretty much was gone, not completely, but not as often.  After my 30 days I did a proper reintroduction and actually I hardly added any foods back in. Just basically my Greek Yogurt and Unsweetened Almond Milk. Had no desire for anything else. 

Two and half years later, 40 pounds lighter, I STILL eat the same way. Once in a blue moon, if I am celebrating something, I will have a piece of cake or a glass of wine, but the rest of the time, I have remained Food Free. I no longer suffer any and I do mean any of my past problems. Sleeping 8 hours is a breeze for me. Depression a thing of the past. My cholesterol levels dropped and I wasn't even thinking of that, but it was a plus. I haven't had one Migraine in all this time.

I have never had to do another round of Whole 30, since I really achieved and maintained my first round of Food Freedom. My friends are all amazed, when we do go out, how controlled I am. I actually try to explain, it's not control, it's just how I eat, a healthy way of life. Truthfully, I'd rather cook my own meals then go out to eat. That alone is a miracle, as I hated to cook before hand, and ate all my meals out. I don't have cravings for Carbs, or Sugars. You know even when I do have that occasional piece of cake, I only take like a bite or two, cause its way to sweet for me. I truly don't even like anything sweet anymore. 

Whole 30 is the way to go. It is the way to a healthy you, and a way to become free from all the junk and unneccessary sugary filled food. Once you get through those 30 days, you will see how completely your life will change, and how much happier and healthier you will be.

It has changed my life so much, that I'm also now back in school (with the help of the Commission of the Blind) and working towards a Nutritionist Degree. That truly is how much Whole 30 changed my life. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Julie; thank you so much for posting this.  It's very encouraging.  I hope to be as successful as you have been in establishing a healthy way of eating for good.  I need to get to a state where food is no longer ruining my life.  Thanks again for your post!

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jahmanrv said:

Hi, my name is Julie. Over two and half years ago, I weighed in at 192 pounds and 5'5" tall. Yup a bit overweight. I was suffering from severe depression mostly due to my vision loss and having to go on permanent disability. I couldn't sleep through the whole night, since I suffered from such heartburn and indigestion issues. A week would not go by without having at least one or two migraines. Basically, I was a hot mess.

In October of 2015, I was visiting with a friend, was is going through chemo treatments. She was reading the Whole 30 Food Freedom book and raving about it. So, she explained the program to me, and I ordered the book through Kindle right then and there. When I got home a week later, I cleaned out the Kitchen, and started my 30day journey. It was rough for the first week, but have to say after that, it really just became a way of eating. I didn't think anymore, and even the cravings after the first week, pretty much was gone, not completely, but not as often.  After my 30 days I did a proper reintroduction and actually I hardly added any foods back in. Just basically my Greek Yogurt and Unsweetened Almond Milk. Had no desire for anything else. 

Two and half years later, 40 pounds lighter, I STILL eat the same way. Once in a blue moon, if I am celebrating something, I will have a piece of cake or a glass of wine, but the rest of the time, I have remained Food Free. I no longer suffer any and I do mean any of my past problems. Sleeping 8 hours is a breeze for me. Depression a thing of the past. My cholesterol levels dropped and I wasn't even thinking of that, but it was a plus. I haven't had one Migraine in all this time.

I have never had to do another round of Whole 30, since I really achieved and maintained my first round of Food Freedom. My friends are all amazed, when we do go out, how controlled I am. I actually try to explain, it's not control, it's just how I eat, a healthy way of life. Truthfully, I'd rather cook my own meals then go out to eat. That alone is a miracle, as I hated to cook before hand, and ate all my meals out. I don't have cravings for Carbs, or Sugars. You know even when I do have that occasional piece of cake, I only take like a bite or two, cause its way to sweet for me. I truly don't even like anything sweet anymore. 

Whole 30 is the way to go. It is the way to a healthy you, and a way to become free from all the junk and unneccessary sugary filled food. Once you get through those 30 days, you will see how completely your life will change, and how much happier and healthier you will be.

It has changed my life so much, that I'm also now back in school (with the help of the Commission of the Blind) and working towards a Nutritionist Degree. That truly is how much Whole 30 changed my life. 

This is just such an awesome post Julie.  I thought I was doing pretty well (and I am), but so many things in your post both resonate with me, or inspire me.  I completed my first Whole 30 last July, and I continue to eat Whole 30 probably 95% of the time - I just don't worry quite as  much about eating out - I do my best to stay compliant, but don't sweat it about a bit of crappy vegetable oil, trace amounts of sugar, or whatever.  My taste buds also changed - I truly love vegetables now, and prior to whole 30 veggies meant broccoli drowned in cheese sauce, or mushrooms and onions on pizza.  I only wish I were kidding :)  I too am 40 pounds lighter than when I started the Whole 30 - less than a year for me, but it is so common to gain weight back, and I am pleased that is has been effortless to keep it off.  

When I read the whole 30 information, I actually tear up a bit when they say "it will change your life"  - it truly changed mine...

I lowered my blood pressure whilst getting off of meds for it; went from pre-diabetic to completely normal blood sugar; lost 40 lbs without increasing exercise or ever feeling hungry, and have kept it off for 8 months; drastically lowered my triglycerides; modestly lowered my cholesterol; joint pain in an arthritic ankle has disappeared - I can now run again; mild eczema completely gone; sleep and mood have improved; rediscovered joy in cooking and learned to love vegetables.   

My biggest challenge is not getting preachy about it :lol: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jim4884 said:

This is just such an awesome post Julie.  I thought I was doing pretty well (and I am), but so many things in your post both resonate with me, or inspire me.  I completed my first Whole 30 last July, and I continue to eat Whole 30 probably 95% of the time - I just don't worry quite as  much about eating out - I do my best to stay compliant, but don't sweat it about a bit of crappy vegetable oil, trace amounts of sugar, or whatever.  My taste buds also changed - I truly love vegetables now, and prior to whole 30 veggies meant broccoli drowned in cheese sauce, or mushrooms and onions on pizza.  I only wish I were kidding :)  I too am 40 pounds lighter than when I started the Whole 30 - less than a year for me, but it is so common to gain weight back, and I am pleased that is has been effortless to keep it off.  

When I read the whole 30 information, I actually tear up a bit when they say "it will change your life"  - it truly changed mine...

I lowered my blood pressure whilst getting off of meds for it; went from pre-diabetic to completely normal blood sugar; lost 40 lbs without increasing exercise or ever feeling hungry, and have kept it off for 8 months; drastically lowered my triglycerides; modestly lowered my cholesterol; joint pain in an arthritic ankle has disappeared - I can now run again; mild eczema completely gone; sleep and mood have improved; rediscovered joy in cooking and learned to love vegetables.   

My biggest challenge is not getting preachy about it :lol: 

 

That is so good to hear about your success with the program. It sure is a life changer, and it's so cool to read others starting it. If they continue they too will feel the difference and change their lives. It truly works.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, carolw said:

Hi Julie; thank you so much for posting this.  It's very encouraging.  I hope to be as successful as you have been in establishing a healthy way of eating for good.  I need to get to a state where food is no longer ruining my life.  Thanks again for your post!

You will be!!! Be open to change, and ready to commit for life. This has truly changed mine in so many ways, and I know it can change yours too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.