Coconut causing problems?

BlueEyez

Hello everyone!

I think coconut (in any form) is causing me to breakout on my chest, nose, and chin. I don't eat a lot of coconut; I cook with a little bit of coconut oil everyday and I've used coconut milk in a few recipes and it seems like if I consume more than a few teaspoons, I break out.

Is this just a coincidence? Does anyone else have problems with coconut? Should I avoid it? 

• Moderators

No way of knowing if it's a coincidence or not until you stop eating it and see if the problem goes away.  As with all foods that are allowed on the Whole30, some are not great in all contexts and it sounds like maybe coconut is not great for you in your context.  

Interestingly some past members have had issues with skin breakouts when using coconut milk and it turned out to be caused by the BPA (which is an endocrine disruptor so can mess with hormones) in the cans - might be worth checking out!

I thought of the BPA too, but the can of milk says BPA free so I don't think that's it. Plus I don't eat coconut milk everyday just oil and it comes in a glass jar. I'm thinking I might just have a sensitivity towards it. I wonder if anyone else has had problems?

Archived