Sphaghetti Squash Comfort Food? Who Knew?

CMB227

All day, I had a real yen for some old fashioned comfort food!  I have finished my first Whole 30 and have dabbled with a couple of items to introduce to my diet, so maybe it is not unexpected to really want comfort food.  I won't go into detail. You all have your own version of what that means and detailing those foods only leads down a path we don't want to go.   I have no reason to need comfort food.  I am fine, better than fine.  I feel REALLY great, better than I have in ages.  A connection to compliant eating?  I believe so.  I think I let myself get too hungry today being on the run all day.  What to do before I leaped face first into something I would regret?  

I googled microwaving whole spaghetti squash because I knew I couldn't wait the full hour it would take to bake one and cutting a raw one in half is hard if not dangerous.  It's like cutting a block of ice!  While the carefully pierced squash was microwaving I made a big batch of spaghetti sauce with a pound of ground turkey.  Mushrooms, onions, garlic, basil, diced oven roasted tomatoes and compliant tomato sauce, lots of seasonings and all was ready before the squash was done.  My husband has never had spaghetti squash, so this was a test.  Everything was done in less than half an hour and was amazing.  The "noodles" of squash and the rich sauce filled that need for comfort food.  My husband loved it.  The flavor is so much better than the regular pasta.  Oh yum!!  Another day happily compliant. :D:wub:

My husband likes it too!  Which was a big shock to me when I thought I had to make him "normal" pasta when I wanted it to go with compliant bolognese sauce (he loves that too!)

I hear you about cutting it in half- it can be a harrowing experience!  I read a tip once about actually cutting it with a pairing knife, which really worked for me.  It's slower going but you have a lot more control so less danger.  Also, if you have an Instant Pot, or other pressure cooker, that can make short work of cooking it (although sounds like the microwave was a good option.)

8 hours ago, TJHigh said:

My husband likes it too!  Which was a big shock to me when I thought I had to make him "normal" pasta when I wanted it to go with compliant bolognese sauce (he loves that too!)

I hear you about cutting it in half- it can be a harrowing experience!  I read a tip once about actually cutting it with a pairing knife, which really worked for me.  It's slower going but you have a lot more control so less danger.  Also, if you have an Instant Pot, or other pressure cooker, that can make short work of cooking it (although sounds like the microwave was a good option.)

Thanks for the ideas.  Yesterday, I used a corkscrew to bore holes in the squash and it worked really well.  I broke the skin in several places with a paring knife so that it wouldn't burst, but the corkscrew made holes all the way to the center.  So easy.  I think we are done with regular pasta around here.  The squash adds so much flavor to the dish. :D

Archived