Are all nightshades the same? How to reintroduce?

LizLouise

Hi, my husband and I are on day 20 of our first Whole30. My husband has had lots of stomach issues which led us to try this out. He is finding that some Fodmaps and some nightshades are giving him issues. Is it necessary to do 30 days nightshade free or ok to just try them one at a time after a week of feeling really good and no issues? And is it necessary to test each nightshade individually? Its all feeling a bit overwhelming and we are the blind leading the blind. Sorry if this question has been answered already, I didn't see it here or on Google. TIA. 

Hey!

Thanks!

Well its a bit of a question between tomatoes and eggplants and bell peppers/jalepenos of nightshades (hot sauce, chili powder, pepper flakes, and paprika have all been fine to cook with) vs garlic/onions of Fodmap. All of those things are often cooked together and we are planning on testing bell peppers one day, wait a few days then jalapeños then garlic as those are the 3 most clear questions. If peppers are fine, is it a question of also testing tomatoes and eggplants separately or can we rule out nightshades as an issue and stick with the fodmap question? He is keeping a diary but at this moment everything that could possibly bother him has been removed, so we are only getting positive data at the moment.

6 hours ago, LizLouise said:

If peppers are fine, is it a question of also testing tomatoes and eggplants separately or can we rule out nightshades as an issue and stick with the fodmap question?

I'd stick with trialling the foods you know to be problematic, and not being too concerned with the others in that group if they haven't caused issue so far. Not everyone who is nightshade or FODMAP sensitive has issues with all foods in those groups. Bear in mind that very often the problems arise with 'load' so be wary of over-doing it with any of the problematic foods, or combining to many of them in one meal, or even in one day...

Good luck!

Archived