Bone broth between meals

Junelily

I know snacking is discouraged, (and really since I've been eating Paleo the last few months I have no desire to) but I usually drink a cup of bone broth when I get home from work. I enjoy it almost like a cup of tea. Is it okay to continue this during my W30? (I begin today 😊). I did a search but didn't see this addressed. I ordered ISWF but with the holiday mail schedule it is taking FOREVER to get here! So sorry in advance if this is something answered in the book

Bone broth between meals...AWESOME!

I made some chicken bone broth today... OMG it's gross! Is it a taste you acquire over time do you think? Maybe I should try beef or something different instead! :blink:

I started with beef bone broth. I add extra onion it makes it like french onion soup. I made chicken broth without feet the first time and it was MEGA bland the second time with feet and it was super yummy. What didn't you like about it? It should taste like a bland chicken noodle soup, nothing funky.

Here is my bone broth method. I don't use anyone's feet. I roast one or 2 whole chickens a week. I break them down for convenience and save the bones. On stock day, I take the defrosted bones with the saved necks and roast them at 400 degrees until beautifully browned. Then I add coarsely chopped up carrots, celery and onions to the pan and stir them around in the grease. When caramelized, I put it all in the crockpot with 10 peppercorns, one bay leaf, parsley sprigs and fresh or dried thyme. Then....I pour boiling water onto the cookie sheet or pan that I roasted everything in and scrape up all the browned bits and add that to the CP. Then add enough water to cover and let it go overnight. Yes my stock is a PITA to make. :0) It's so rich, sweet and gelatinous. I make beef and turkey stock the same way. Phew!!

Here is my bone broth method. I don't use anyone's feet. I roast one or 2 whole chickens a week. I break them down for convenience and save the bones. On stock day, I take the defrosted bones with the saved necks and roast them at 400 degrees until beautifully browned. Then I add coarsely chopped up carrots, celery and onions to the pan and stir them around in the grease. When caramelized, I put it all in the crockpot with 10 peppercorns, one bay leaf, parsley sprigs and fresh or dried thyme. Then....I pour boiling water onto the cookie sheet or pan that I roasted everything in and scrape up all the browned bits and add that to the CP. Then add enough water to cover and let it go overnight. Yes my stock is a PITA to make. :0) It's so rich, sweet and gelatinous. I make beef and turkey stock the same way. Phew!!

How come Susan is the only one who gets this right.... If you use bones it is a STOCK.... If you use meat it is a BROTH. Can't figure out why you call beef stock....a bone broth?

Sorry for the rant.... Chef's pet peeve..... Lol

So what is oxtail considered? My oxtails are more meat than bones and after I strain the broth I pick all the meat out (about 1.5lbs out of a starting weight of 3.5lbs) and save it for my breakfast scrambles. I certainly don't want to piss off the man with all the good recipes :lol: *humbly bows and scrapes out of the kitchen*

So what is oxtail considered? My oxtails are more meat than bones and after I strain the broth I pick all the meat out (about 1.5lbs out of a starting weight of 3.5lbs) and save it for my breakfast scrambles. I certainly don't want to piss off the man with all the good recipes *humbly bows and scrapes out of the kitchen*

OMG...braised oxtail is the best food ever. I haven't made it in forever but I want it right now. I would braise them...eat..then add the bones to a stock. I think you are killing the meat by cooking it stock style. I am coming over RIGHT NOW to show you the beauty that is braised oxtails. :0)

How come Susan is the only one who gets this right.... If you use bones it is a STOCK.... If you use meat it is a BROTH. Can't figure out why you call beef stock....a bone broth?

Sorry for the rant.... Chef's pet peeve..... Lol

FB, I had a hard time with the broth vs stock thing for a while but I find the term bone broth very charming and caveman -like now. :)

Love, love, love oxtails! I love smothering them with tomatoes, onions, mushrooms and garlic. OMG to die for... TO DIE FOR!

Until I came to this forum, anything made from bones and water I always called a stock. I blame this forum! LOL :)

On a side note, I bought the most beautiful beef bones from my butcher today for making stock. He seemed a bit impressed I make my own and even more so when I asked for pork belly to cure. They have delicious bacon, but it contains sugar, I even expressed my dismay. Eh,well.. what'cha gonna do? :)

My husband isn't really picky but hesitant to try new things. Greens of any kind, carrots, sweet potatoes and green beans are a must on our dinner table but today when we went shopping I threw some turnip roots and parsnips into the cart. He promised to try and I promised to make them tasty.. so umm HELP! :)

OMG...braised oxtail is the best food ever. I haven't made it in forever but I want it right now. I would braise them...eat..then add the bones to a stock. I think you are killing the meat by cooking it stock style. I am coming over RIGHT NOW to show you the beauty that is braised oxtails. :0)

I have never thought to eat it as is...well cooked as is. It always ends up super soft, just like pulled pork. Husbie was horrified when he saw me picking through the bones the first time "You are actually going to save and *eat* that meat?" "Of course!" He gagged and walked out.

Bring yourself over here right meow and we shall dine on oxtails...and you can have the cans of coconut milk that are getting dusty in my cupboard.

I also find the words bone broth charming and fun to say but I totally get that we are f'ing up culinary terms and if I was a chef I would totes have something to say about it too, cleaver in hand!

I have never thought to eat it as is...well cooked as is. It always ends up super soft, just like pulled pork. Husbie was horrified when he saw me picking through the bones the first time "You are actually going to save and *eat* that meat?" "Of course!" He gagged and walked out.

Bring yourself over here right meow and we shall dine on oxtails...and you can have the cans of coconut milk that are getting dusty in my cupboard.

I also find the words bone broth charming and fun to say but I totally get that we are f'ing up culinary terms and if I was a chef I would totes have something to say about it too, cleaver in hand!

Oh...an oxtail coconut curry. I'll leave the coconut milk out of yours. Grabbing mu Ugg boots and headed out the door. :lol:

Well I guess if I wanted to be a stickler...coconut milk is really juice, as it is squeezed from the flesh... Never saw a teat on a coconut , Lol.

Oh and I love me some oxtails! How's that for proper English ....

I so know you want to travel to Canada to share your oxtail recipe. :)

So how do we differentiate coconut water and the white creamy stuff we call milk/cream?

Archived