Bone broth between meals

Junelily

Teats...on a coconut.....omfg....DYING! :lol:

And I think that coconut water tastes like sweat and something else I couldn't quite place....oil and flakes are the only coconuty goodness I partake of, I'll leave the rest for you lovers.

Stock made from bones is the most nutritious part of the animal. And it's easy.

A chicken (or some beef, lamb, goat, or pork bones), a carrot, cellery stalk, an onion, some thyme, and fill the pot with water. Simmer on the lowest setting that produces a bubble 24 hours for a chicken, 48 hrs for goat/lamb/pork, or up to 3 days for the thickest beef bones.

Strain, freeze in one quart plastic containers, and you've got the best part of the animal waiting ready to start your next pot of soup.

I made some chicken bone broth today... OMG it's gross! Is it a taste you acquire over time do you think? Maybe I should try beef or something different instead! :blink:

If you found it gross, you may not have cooked it down long enough. I let my chicken stock (yes from bones Fenderbender) simmer for 12 hours on low on the stove. I make it by first poaching a chicken (whole) with an onion, 2 carrots, 2 celery stalks, and 4 cloves of garlic smashed in 4 qts water and 1 tes salt. After cooking, cooling and cleaning the chicken I put all the bones back in the broth (see it is still broth ;) ) with 2 tbl Apple cider vinegar and simmer away. It is da bomb!

I made some chicken bone broth today... OMG it's gross! Is it a taste you acquire over time do you think? Maybe I should try beef or something different instead! :blink:

The first batch I made was pretty horrible too, but I realized that my two major mistakes were using too much water compared to beef/chicken and not simmering long enough. Adding the vegetables really helps too. My favorite is a chicken and vegetable combo very similar to the other recipes posted. I don't usually add salt during the cooking process, so I stir a sprinkling of Maldon sea salt into my mug after warming...so good!

I find that my broths (er, stocks?) are undrinkable if there aren't a) veggies and B) salt involved.

I prefer poultry stocks to any other kind, so for me chicken or turkey stocks have a lot of room for error. beef broth without onion or salt? GAG

Like Junelily, I don't add salt during, because that messes with ratios when I'm using it as an ingredient in something else later. I always sprinkle some into my mug later.

Archived