Starting Whole30 today (20 Feb) - total newbie, looking for friends!

MeatEaterYogi

Depending on the price, I'd be interested in buying some whole 30 compliant condiments, etc. on Amazon Prime, if that's an option. Up here in Alaska, there is no way the grocery store would have any thing like that except by accident. But Amazon is an Alaskan's best friend and has kinda tamed the last frontier in terms of shopping. I realized my favorite hot sauce is compliant, Tapatio. Yay! 

@Liesje, as a replacement for greasy vegetables, have you tried steaming them? If you like your veggies just a bit on the crunchy side, its actually a lot faster than frying. I have a Chinese bamboo steamer for this. You can also use a metal strainer. Last night I steamed carrots, broccoli, and bell peppers in about 10 mins, and made a dipping sauce from tahini, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and a bunch of spices. It was great and super fast. It's like a compromise between cold salad and greasy veggies. I think soups and stews would be good too, just haven't had the time to make them yet. 

@MeatEaterYogi Here are the products I like best. They do tend to be expensive and I generally find that Amazon is not the best option for Whole30 items (they tend to be more expensive and they sometimes require that you buy packages of multiple items). I buy most of these from Thrive Market online, but it looks like they don't ship to Alaska. Perhaps the best option for you might be the Primal Kitchen and Tessemae's "Whole30 starter kits" that you can buy on Amazon. 

• Primal Kitchen Caesar dressing (I prefer Primal Kitchen dressings over Tessemae's because they use olive oil rather than sunflower oil, which I try to limit, per the recommendations)
  • Primal Kitchen Green Goddess dressing
  • Tessemae's Organic BBQ sauce
  • Tessemae's Buffalo sauce (though this would probably be pretty easy to make with mayo and hot sauce) 
  • Tessemae's Ketchup 
  • The New Primal Classic marinade (they have a spicy one too but it's really spicy and I can't handle it!) 
  • The New Primal Citrus Herb marinade 

Morning everyone!

Welcome @Stackgrl !

Day 5 starts today for me.

Here in Holland the whole30 is relatively unknown, cant find much things about it online. I'm searching for sauces and dressing too that are approved, but in the supermarkets I dindt find anything with no sugar in it. Guess if I want to find anything, maybe I should search for Paleo (also no thing is supermarket that are Paleo ): This weekend i will go to an eco supermarket, maybe I will succeed then.

@MeatEaterYogi steamed veggies with dipping sauce, sounds like something to give a try!

I went to bed hungry again last night, but slept well. I ate an apple before bedtime to have something in my stomach (I can get stomachaches when my stomach is empty in the middle of the night sometimes). Wasnt superhungry this morning.

Something I did find in the supermarket was chiapudding with only coconutmilk and vanillaseeds and cinnamon in it. I took it for breakfast and it tasted really refreshing! It made me quite happy.

I feel already that my waist is thinner, that is a good thing too!

Have a good day everyone! Off to work!

I finally went to the grocery store and could not find a single pork product without sugar. So fail there. Got some other good stuff though. Spent a small fortune. Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to make sauces and not have to search for them. I'll make some W30 mayo, salsa, ketchup, BBQ sauce. And more ghee! Looking forward to it! Have a great weekend, ladies!

Hi everyone! 

Day 6! Today I had a long walk and after that I had for lunch: 2 small avocados with chopped peppers, springonion, tomato, vinegar and oliveoil. Like a really rough guacemole. It was very good and I had some leftover pork that I ate too. Yum!

I am still going strong, I feel a strong motivation to bring this to 30 or maybe 60 days. 

I might be a bit grumpy sometimes to my hubby, because I can have low energy/ bloodsugar sometimes. I am lucky, my hubby is very patient with me :)

How is everyone else doing?

Good morning!  Today starts my first Whole30!  I am ready to feel better for my overall health. I am 52 and pretty active. I am probably within 10 pounds of my ideal weight. However, I have many stomach/ digestion/ bloating issues. I had some food sensitivity testing done about 7 months ago and my BIG issues are ALL dairy, soy and most nuts.  I am hoping that this will be the answer I have been searching for. Looking for support, so I am going to join In on the thread. Hope everyone has a good day. 

Hi @LisaBaff, good luck at starting today! 

It is day 8 for me. Still going very well. I'm making delicious steamed veggies with chicken and an almond-coconut sauce today. Looking forward to eating it in an hour or so. I also made mayo this weekend and it was a wonderful dressing on a big salad with baked salmon.

Had a nice walk today along the waterside. Hope all the others are still in!

@LisaBaff Welcome to our group! Good luck in your Whole30 journey. I hope it helps you resolve those digestive problems! This is my second round and I was so, so happy with the results I achieved on my first round last year. 

@Liesje and @MeatEaterYogi Hi! Sorry for not checking in. I tend to be online less on weekends than during the week! 

I'm on Day 6 and doing well. On Day 3, I had a moment when I considered stopping my Whole30 to have a burger at Red Robin, but fortunately, they were closed by the time we were done with our basketball game so I didn't have to make the choice! Otherwise, things have been going well. I feel strong and committed. And I've been having fun trying some new recipes. Here are a couple of them that I loved: 

I also tried the Pan-Fried Sardines from Well Fed 2 and I really liked them. Who would've thought I'd like sardines? I made it a goal to try new foods this round so that was one of them! Also, food boredom set in very, very early for me so I was looking for some fun new things to try! 

Anyone else finding things they love? Are you experiencing any symptoms or NSVs at this point? Hopefully you're all feeling strong and confident!

@Liesje It sounds like you're going strong! Congratulations! 

Morning! i´m on day 9 today. My husband is away for 3 days, so its a bit easier to cook. 

Yesterday I mixed raw endives through mashed potatoes (let the endives steam until a bit softened). Splash of coconutmilk in it and bits of fried bacon. It is a dish Dutch people like to eat a lot in winter. It will be my dinner for today.

Hey @kirbz so good that Red Robin was closed then! I know sometimes in a weak moment a wrong decision is made so fast. Yesterday my son sat next to me eating popcorn and I really had to force myself not to eat a bit of it too. Good that you are still on the road! and that marinade ecipe looks good, I may give it a try.

Well, off to work again!

Hello everyone,

Just checking in! I am also still going strong on W30 on day 8. I work on the computer all day right now for my PhD work, and have been trying to avoid online distractions, that's why I haven't been checking in.

I really don't feel much different honestly. I haven't been hungry, which is great, and also makes me skeptical still about the weight loss portion of all the different benefits that come from this program. I looked at the typical phases in the book, and the only one I've had so far is angry "Kill all the things", lol.

I accidentally bought some pork chops with Dextrose in them, dammit. I'm contemplating eating them though, I don't have a ton of money..... How much sugar is dextrose?

I almost also thought I could eat the bag of green peas in my freezer, and cooked them all up, and then realized, only snap and sugar peas in the pod are allowed. Darn. I've been mixing the peas in with my dog's food instead though. I also have a ton of dill pickled peas in the pod from my garden last year canned, so I'm glad I can still eat those.

And I still think I am probably eating too many nuts and not enough fresh veggies? Definitely eating plenty of cooked starchy veggies (maybe too many). I have been preparing a lot of food ahead of time, which helps. And I love salad, and would eat it at every meal if I didn't have to prepare it. If you prepare that ahead of time, it really doesn't last very long, which is a bummer. Especially since fresh greens in Alaska in the middle of winter are already kinda old by the time they get to us. 

@kirbz I've been wanting to try those vegan twice baked potatoes, thanks for the link! They look amazing! I might try them soon. I thought about salmon cakes, but the Alaskan salmon I have I caught myself and it's so delicious (frozen from last summer), I think it would be a crime to turn it into a cake. I just bake mine with lemon and spices.

@Liesje I'm glad you are still going strong, as well! Keep up the good work! @LisaBaff, welcome to our little group!

I bought canned sardines and herring, and don't know how to dress them up. I've been eating them straight from the can if I am in a hurry, and honestly, I do like them just like that. But, does anyone know a way to make them more fancy? Thanks ladies!

Hey all!

@MeatEaterYogi I think fish straight from the can is probably the best way to eat them. You might try to eat them with salad, green beans and black olives, like a 'Nicoise salad'. And I think canned fish (especially tuna) is very good in a tomato sauce too, you might eat that with cauliflower rice. Such a bad thing that sugar is put in allmost every kind of meat! Here in Holland all sauces, dressing and prepared meat products they added sugar. Only bacon is okay. I hate that.  One other thing you might try for a few days is too stop eating nuts. I think they might be overeaten because they are so yummy. I allow myself to eat only a spoonful of nutbutter every 2 days, to keep that in line.

Well, I'm making sweet potatoes for dinner with spinach and beef. Hope everyone will have a good evening!

Archived