sheflin

How much protein?

Hi,

This is my first Whole30 and I'm finishing up Day 2. I'm very excited but have some concerns and questions. I have been a vegetarian my entire life but not vegan, so I eat byproducts like eggs and milk. I am modifying and including tofu, tempeh, greek yogurt, and some lentils and cheese, as well as approved chia seed, almond butter, eggs, etc, but I'm not sure how much to include to get enough protein without grains or beans. 

I recognize that each meal should feature a palm sized protein source; is this true for vegetarians as well? Does that mean I need a palm size serving of eggs, tofu, lentils, whatever my protein source? Can I get enough protein with three palm sized protein sources a day, even though some of my vegetarian alternatives might have less protein than actual meat?

What I am finding is that I a filling my meals with fruits (ie apple with almond butter) and am ultimately more hungry than I am when eating grains. 

Thanks so much for any help you can offer!

31 minutes ago, sheflin said:

Hi,

This is my first Whole30 and I'm finishing up Day 2. I'm very excited but have some concerns and questions. I have been a vegetarian my entire life but not vegan, so I eat byproducts like eggs and milk. I am modifying and including tofu, tempeh, greek yogurt, and some lentils and cheese, as well as approved chia seed, almond butter, eggs, etc, but I'm not sure how much to include to get enough protein without grains or beans. 

I recognize that each meal should feature a palm sized protein source; is this true for vegetarians as well? Does that mean I need a palm size serving of eggs, tofu, lentils, whatever my protein source? Can I get enough protein with three palm sized protein sources a day, even though some of my vegetarian alternatives might have less protein than actual meat?

What I am finding is that I a filling my meals with fruits (ie apple with almond butter) and am ultimately more hungry than I am when eating grains. 

Thanks so much for any help you can offer!

This might take a bit of experimentation on your part because your protein sources are not as protien dense as animal protein so the metric of the palm isn't going to be the same.  The aim is to get 4-5 hours between meals so you might have to work at figuring it out.   That said, you're including in your protein choices four of the five things that the Whole30 disallows, the other being sugar.  It's going to be very difficult to figure out what if anything bothers you.  Is it possible to do the program with eggs and then just choose one of the other group (lentils, soy, grains, dairy)?

You'll want to be careful with the chia seeds (if you're using them to make puddings and sweet fruit heavy breakfasts) and the almond butter.  Both are encouraged to be limited (and the chia seed pudding is not recommended) so they shouldn't really be counting towards protein source.