Steak and Chicken from grocery store

Jnadeau33

I am starting tomorrow and am a bit confused on what meats are ok. Can I buy steak and chicken breast from a regular grocery store or is there something specific I should be searching out?  Any guidance on the meat aspect would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, Jnadeau33 said:

I am starting tomorrow and am a bit confused on what meats are ok. Can I buy steak and chicken breast from a regular grocery store or is there something specific I should be searching out?  Any guidance on the meat aspect would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

You can definitely buy from the grocery store.  The recommendation is to buy the best you can afford - I do Costco and my little grocery store and none of it is grass fed or pasture raised... can't afford that.  The thing with the more conventionally raised meats is that you want to trim or drain the fat off... fat is where an animal stores toxins and medications etc... so if it's 'lower end' then just be aware of that.  The one thing I WOULD buy as high quality as I could would be bacon since that's mostly fat so you're not going to have a good time cutting the fat off it... most of the bacon that people can get now tho that is compliant is going to be higher end.

13 hours ago, Jnadeau33 said:

I'm in the same boat as @SugarcubeOD - just make sure you're still checking labels. Most won't even have ingredients listed, and that's good but I have seen some ground turkey packages with some weird ingredients. You can definitely find plain, just something to be extra vigilant about :) 

3 hours ago, Jnadeau33 said:

Thank you for the help!  It seems less daunting now.  I could not imagine having to hunt down all grass fed, free range, etc...  

That is the main thing (besides how good you feel doing it!) that I love about the whole30 program. They want you to just do the best YOU can within the rules of the program...no shaming you because you can't afford the highest quality cuts of meats and organic produce!

Archived