coffee sweetener???

PhoenixH

• Moderators

No, not really. 

You can try compliant coconut milk, almond milk, or other nut milks, but while they help take some bitterness away and make it a little creamier, they don't really make it sweet.

You can try different varieties of either coffee or tea and see if you can find one you like even without sweetener. Good quality coffee can be less bitter, coffee that's been cold brewed can be less bitter, you can even water it down a little bit to make the taste less strong, or brew it less strong. For teas, some herbal teas, especially fruit ones, can have a sweetness to them, just read your labels and be sure they don't have any off-plan ingredients like stevia or soy (or even barley -- I didn't know that was a thing, until I picked up a fancy tea somewhere and found out it was an ingredient). It may also be easier to get used to an unsweetened tea that's a different flavor than what you're used to having sweetened -- your brain won't be expecting the same flavor and sweetness that way.

If you can just get used to drinking them unsweetened -- or give them up for a while, if you can't -- by the end of 30 days, you'll find your taste buds have changed a lot and you won't need the same sweetness in things that you do now.

I had the same issue with my Whole 30's.  I didn't find that coconut or almond milk made it creamy or sweet enough for me, so I just gave it up for 30 days.  Thankfully, I also like tea.  This is what worked for me: I would put in an herbal fruit-flavored teabag in addition to the black tea.  The fruit tea made it sweet enough for me.  My favorites are the Celestial Seasonings peach and blueberry flavors,  but I suppose any fruit flavored tea would work.  Good luck!  

Wendy

Cinnamon in the grounds before you brew can be good, and you can play around with cloves and other sweet-ish spices.

But like @ShannonM816 mentioned cold brew is pretty awesome.  You can go full on coffee shop with Guatemalan beans and a nitro pour, but also just doing it at home with coarse ground beans bagged in cheesecloth.  I started doing coffee over ice when I got Invisalign (plastic teeth trays, kinda like removable braces) since you're not supposed to drink hot liquids, and now it's my preferred way to drink it, Whole30 or not.

Archived