Nut Cheese

80sgirrl2

Hi, I was wondering if nut cheese is compliant on Whole30. All the ingredients are Whole30 compliant. It is shredded "cheese" and it isn't going to be used to pop in my mouth. I want to use the cheddar and a few tablespoons in a soup. I also wanted to use the mozzarella in my zucchini lasagna alongside the cashew cream. 

Again, I'm not dumping this on potatoes, eating it out of the bag, etc. I wanted to use it in recipes. Is this allowed?

Thank you!

Nut cheese is kind of a grey area and actually it was discussed in the Coaches group just this week. Melissa's response was that if you're using it to prop up a cheese habit then we'd recommend you leave it off the menu for 30 days.

Think about how you'd feel going without it - if it makes you feel a little anxious, if you've been looking for compliant alternatives, then perhaps you & 'cheese' need to take a little break.

Hi, 

I could give or take it. I put a tablespoon in my mexican soup bowl last night, but mainly as a thickener. I wanted to add it to my zucchini lasagna to add more flavor. My zucchini lasagna has a ton of flavor as is, so I don't need to add it, but thought it would enhance it. 

This is my third round in five years, so I had no issue with not using cheese in the past. In fact, after my first Whole30, I found out that lactose is not my friend and have refrained from eating it when I'm not doing the Whole30. 

I made a mexican soup (pictured below) using leftover barbacoa beef, pulled pork, zucchini and red onion saute, and salsa. I added broth and seasonings and topped it with guacamole, homemade sweet potato "straws", a tablespoon of nut cheese and a drizzle of homemade ranch. I stirred the soup after I took the picture and used the cheese and guacamole to thicken the soup in my bowl. 

So, from what I understand, it's okay to move forward with the nut cheese in recipes to enhance it?

Thank you for the response. 

28056051_10156172637762445_4714500861819426218_n.jpg

Yep, in this particular context I'd say okay.

Anyone thinking of baking a potato, adding ghee & filling with a generous handful of grated nut cheese? Yeah, no bueno.

As an fyi steamed/boiled cauliflower blended with a little broth & added to soups/stews works as a great (& creamy!) thickener.

Thank you! I just whipped it up. My husband calls me the queen of leftovers. :) I say, "Enjoy it, because you will never have it again, unless I have the exact same leftovers."

I made a mexican soup using all of these leftover ingredients: barbacoa beef, pulled pork, zucchini and red onion saute, cauliflower rice and salsa. I added broth and seasonings, then topped it with guacamole, homemade sweet potato "straws" (I spiralized the potatoes, sprayed parchment paper and potatoes with avocado oil, and baked until crispy at 425 degrees), a tablespoon of nut cheese and a drizzle of homemade ranch.

Archived