Birthday Present for Myself -- Whole30 starts Feb 26th

Amy Rose

My very first Whole 30 begins on Monday, so I have three days to prep -- shopping, kitchen clean out, cooking for the week, and getting my head wrapped around this new lifestyle. I am excited to begin, but also cautiously suspicious of my ability to eat this way for 30 days straight. I have a great track record of 4-day consistency on a list of eating behaviors, and have even successfully gone 14 days fully Primal. That past success has set me up for this longer stretch of days, although I will have to prove my abilities to myself.

I will be 62 on Sunday. I'm very healthy except for the extra fat I am wearing on my body. As a 5' 3" woman, I should not be 186 pounds -- and my recent photos bear this out. I was surprised to discover that I resemble a happy sack of potatoes (NOT the mental picture I carry of myself, but here we are). Try as I might, I cannot bring myself to criticize that joyful person in the photo. She is living a charmed life! Would she be happier if she was thin? No! But . . . could she hike in the Blue Ridge Mountains more easily? Of course. Could she spend the entire day on her feet at an event more comfortably? Yes she could. Could she buy that bicycle she's been wanting and ride off into adventure more confidently? Absolutely!

I need this healthful change to my life so I can continue my life adventure. I will begin on Monday, February 26th -- and I promise myself that I will do this for 30 days straight.

First Whole 30 -- Here I Come!

Hi Amy Rose, I read and recognized your story (and you wrote it so funny :)) ! I also look very happy on every picture I look at. That laughing face is more outstanding then that 'curved body'. So the goal for me particularly is to live a healthy life and become so old that I can see my child grow very old.

I am on day 5 now, started one week earlier then you. I can say that is a challenge, but with results in 5 days (look thinner already), so that feels good to me. Well, and also a bit grumpy sometimes to my husbandbecause I miss my sugar and bread.

I'm from Holland, so I'm trying to write in English hoping noone will notice it is not my native language. 

Wish you much luck prepping, cutting veggies and starting the program!

Hi Amy Rose!

My name is actually Cathie, and I feel your story! I'm starting Monday as well!!!! We can do this, girls! I'll be 60 in October, but feel about 105. So tired of not being the best I can be. 

I. AM. READY.

I'll try to figure out how to check in on you!

Liesje, you are rocking your english! Lol...

Hi all, I'm starting today too and hoping we can support each other along the process. I did a successful Whole30 in Sept and found the support of a forum group to be so important to me. It was great to check in daily and remind each other of why we are doing this.

And @Amy Rose and @Liesje I completely agree with both of you - for me, i want to live a better life. Yes, I'd love to lose a few extra pounds, but for me it's more about the heaviness I feel in my body and mind. After doing the Whole30 in September, I felt so positive and fresh and lighter. My approach to food was positive and I was no longer trapped in a sugar high/low cycle. The first few days were really tough, but it was so worth it. That's what I'm trying to keep at the forefront of my mind now. 

Hi everyone! Wish you all good luck starting today! 

I love it if you let me now what you ate on your last meal, because I need lots of inspiration!

I am on day 8 today, I started one week earlier. Last week was, well........ a bit tough. Motivation was the strongest thing to put me through this. I wasnt really hungry this week , but have to get used to eat no snacks and drink no diet coke in the evening. Thats the hardest one for me.  

On the other hand, I already notice I lost some weight, I have enough energy to come trough the day and I had no headaches or other physical problems.

Well, hope to hear from all of you and we can support each other to come through this!

Welcome @Wing and a Prayer, @carriemae89, @Heidi R and @SineadMon. I'm so pleased to see this many friendly, motivated people starting a Whole 30 on the same day (and you, too, @Liesje - we will value your insight into our future!). I'm grateful to have others on the same path for support and encouragement.

My spirits are high today; it's our "What's The Big Deal" day one. My energy is top notch and I am zipping through my work. No complaints here.

I used my prep days to cook a large breakfast casserole of eggs, turkey sausage, onions, peppers, spinach, asparagus, and mushrooms. I am NOT a fan of breakfast, but this is pleasing to the eye so it's very tempting, plus it tastes wonderful. The meal kept me satisfied until almost noon, and I'm currently eating another weekend concoction for lunch: Ground beef with tomatoes, mushrooms, onions and garlic, topped with avocado. Add some baby carrots and some olives -- it's a feast!

One more meal for today: Tonight I'm trying a new recipe for white chicken chili over cauliflower rice. I have high hopes for this, since I made a ton of it.

How is your first day? Fill us in!

Thanks @Amy Rose.. did you have a great birthday?! I think your decision to undertake a Whole30 is a wonderful thing to do for yourself - you should be so proud.

@Liesje I'm so glad you are a few days ahead of us so you can keep us motivated. I need that today - I'm not exactly feeling the love .. I think because I'd completed a Whole30 before I know what to expect (the great, the good and the bad!) and so today I'm kinda stuck in the bad and my mind is trying to convince me to postpone this to another time. I know this is the best thing for my body and I do enjoy the food, but sometimes kicking out of bad habits is really the hardest part - like my candy bar after lunch and dessert in the evening!

For today's meals, I had a turkey burger with an egg (fried in ghee) this morning for breakfast, on top of some argula. This afternoon for lunch I had broccoli and cauliflower soup with some avocado, spinach and eggs. I'm just about to sit down to a nice dinner now - Salmon, roasted cauliflower and salad so I'm still going strong.

I'm hoping to plan my meals a bit better the next few days so that I just go do it - and distract my mind from those tempting thoughts! Let us know how the new recipe goes and here's to rolling into Day 2!!

Archived