Starting 2/26/18 - First timer - Can you say determined?

Wing and a Prayer

Hello! 

I decided on the 26th, then started freaking out and thought maybe I should move it to March 1st. Well, knowing me, then I'll want to change it to 5th, because, who starts a new way of living and eating on a THURSDAY, for heaven's sake?????? Just one more excuse. Monday, February 26th, 2018 it is!!!!

I'm fairly overwhelmed already, just by trying to put my grocery list together, but (!!!), I did clean out my pantry and actually threw out anything that had sugar or artificial sweeteners in it. I never thought I could even do that, so... take that, sugar! 

Anyone else starting on Monday that's serious, let me know and we can check in on each other? Let's do this!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting today, too.  I'm trying to make this first week easier by cooking a few things (breakfast casserole, chicken chili, beef & tomatoes) and then eating leftovers a LOT. And adding vegetable sides that are easy to throw together.

I'll be more adventurous in later weeks.

DI and Amy, how'd you do on day one? I spent the whole weekend trying to get ready. I can already tell the things I want to change next week. 

Tina, my sister is starting on the first as well.  

I bought WAY TOO MUCH lettuce type veggies! I got some at Costco (Sam's Club) and I'm a single gal, so I really will not eat Costco size bags of greens. My bff is doing it with me, which is really helpful, but she has a hubby and 2 grown kiddo's still at home. This SHOULD be much easier for me, but I'm so stressed about it! 

I'm using the week one menu. I clearly did not read the recipes very well, not realizing that dinner would take me over an hour to make tonight. Can you say hangry? LOL.

I'm looking forward to less fibromyalgia pain!!!! Woot woot!

Hi ladies, seems like we are have two threads for our Whole30 :):) Only means we're more determined and committed :) It might be best to just use one - so that we can provide the best support to one another and also to keep on top of everything - but that might happen naturally as the time goes on. I think the next few days will be the toughest (they always are for me - I can't tell you how many W30's I've started... yet I only successfully finished 1). Nice to know we are in this together!!

@Wing and a Prayer I completely understand the feeling of overbuying too many greens... I always get so enthusiastic at the store and pick up too much food (esp as I also live alone!). My suggestion would be try to make soups with it, throw it into curries, sneak it in everywhere you can (omelettes, under chicken, pork, lamb, turkey, beef as a 'bed') - you can make dishes and then freeze them for later, that also works and the greens don't spoil when they are used!

Here's to day two everyone!!! I just had a really tasty omelette and am hoping that sustains me until lunchtime!!!

16 hours ago, tinamichelle said:

I am starting on Thursday 1st March, birthday tomorrow so decided to get that out of the way first, food shopping and prep for next 2 days, good luck to all new starters, hopefully we will all be smiling and positive in 30 days

Happy Birthday @tinamichelle! I did the same thing -- birthday celebrations first, then jump into a Whole 30.

Your prepping plan will make your life easier in the coming days. Good luck with all of your foods.

My first day was non-eventful. Having food prepared and waiting in the refrigerator gave me no excuses, plus I didn't have the dinner struggle you mentioned @Wing and a Prayer.  I am a lazy cook! Heat and eat is my style. Last night dinner was an experiment - white chicken chili over cauliflower rice. It turned out wonderful. Good thing, I have tons of it.

I have over-bought on veggies, too. Fortunately I have three guinea pigs that will eat anything fresh and they think I am a god for all the fancy foods they are getting. Right now it's just the veggie trimmings, but later in the week they will save me from wasted gross greens in the vegetable drawers.

@SineadMon you're right -- we are everywhere at once. Let's declare this thread to be our official meeting place.   @carriemae89, @Heidi R @Liesje -- we're over here. Jump in!

Welcome, @DIversity. How was you first day?

Hi everyone, I found you :)

I have a fridge full of green leafs too @Wing and a Prayer @SineadMon! Must make something with it to not let it go to waste.  Think I will make spinachsoup today or tomorrow, might put some smoked salmon in it.

Ooow @Amy Rose guinea pigs are so cute and come in so handy!

Its day 9 for me.  It was an easy day at work, I prepped a good lunch and had a nice dinner too today. I'm not hungry at all between meals.  Being at work is the only time I am not thinking about food.

For now, I have to make it through the evening again without snacking. That is the worst habit I really want to get rid off. I hope I wont be eating an apple with almondbutter, because I allmost cant stand this in the evening, although the programs says its better not to eat snacks.

How are the others doing?

@Amy: thanks for asking. As you said: pretty non-eventful. A light headache this morning (2nd day) that went away after my lunch-yoga-break. So far, no gravings or crankiness either. Just at times the moment when you want to take a cookie out of the box and then go : "Nah, I can't".

Off to day 3!

hi everyone! Getting to the end of day two and food was fine today but I’m seriously craving some even snacks!! I think I’m going to have a bath and go to bed earlier to avoid snacking!!! So yes @Liesje I have the same problem and let me know if you know any tricks or suggestions - I don’t think I can go to bed early every night!

I had a nice lunch of soup and a salad and then salmon with sweet potato for dinner after a nice walk! Feeling good and positive this evening about this decision (just wrestling those cravings!)

how is everyone else doing?

Glad we have a thread chosen! 

I had an emergency with my mom tonight, so it got me home late and I was panicked on what to eat. Ended up with salmon in the fry pan with Cucumber Dill sauce (YUMS!) and roasted potato slices. I also face-timed with my friend that I'm doing this with, so we got to cook together! That was actually fun! LOL

I think I need to figure out bigger batch cooking so I don't have to cook every night. I too, am a lazy cook, @Amy Rose! I mostly dine out, or pick up and bring home (which is one of the reasons I look and feel as badly as I do!)

Apparently I need a guinea pig!  Yeah, it's not gonna happen... 

Thanks everyone, for being here!

Cathie

@Wing and a Prayer is your mom okay?

Day 10 started for me. Feel great!  

Didnt feel like eggs for breakfast so I ate sweet potato and smoked herring. Herring is eaten a lot in Holland, the city I live in is known for the long history of herring-fishing. People like to eat it raw, it is a streetfood snack. In the whole 30 I discovered a smoked herring tastes good for breakfast. 

@SineadMon yesterday night was the first night I didnt have a lot of cravings. I found a bag of apple crisps in my drawer, but didnt eat it because I didnt need to. The one thing that helped me through the first 10 days is to occasionally eat apple parts dipped in a spoonful of almondbutter. I did it on the days I excercised and tried not to in the days I sat all day. and o my, can an apple taste good when you dont eat sugar at all!

I'm off to work people, see ya later!

Morning all!

@Wing and a Prayer how is your mom? Good work on the skype... I did read on some forum, or possibly in the book, that it is a good idea to write down three meals that you could make and enjoy when you haven't planned to cook. I always have eggs and chicken sausage in my fridge and so an omelette is my go-to in case of a panic evening.

@Liesje I love Holland! Such a pretty country :) And while I can't say I have a taste for herring, I might try it sometime. I also always have canned salmon in my pantry and that helps with panic meals!

Well I didn't snack... I knew it was just boredom, and the habit of snacking, or should I say "treating" myself in the evening. I did go to bed early but I'm glad I did. I did wake up with some digestive discomfort this morning - like a painful bloating. Although i'm sure it is just my body getting used to normal food again. I'm hoping my tummy settles down as the day goes on... but aiming to have plenty of water!

Have a great day everyone!

It’s so great to come here and read about everyone’s experience with Whole 30 – much more supportive than real life where I just get a blank look from people who are not making the same changes in their lives.

Welcome @smiling_yogi! Did you find any great recipes last week that you'd like to share?

I feel your pain @Wing and a Prayer -- dinner panic is no fun! The easiest batch recipe I've heard of so far is Crock Pot -- boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs -- salsa (Whole 30 compliant of course).  Cook until chicken will shred easily.  I can think of a few ways to eat that and it would be tasty & filling.

My second day was fine as far as food was concerned, and I didn’t have much trouble with cravings. @SineadMonI made a large cup of herbal tea in the evening and that really helped (Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice tea is incredible). I did notice that yesterday I was very unfocused at work all day and then grumpy in the evening, neither of which are really me.  It must be my personal form of the “hangover” that happens sometimes on days 2 & 3. I seem OK right now. Perhaps it was just one day.

This morning I added a small baked sweet potato beside my usual breakfast casserole. I put a bit of ghee on the potato and didn’t miss my usual brown sugar at all. Lunch will be a huge salad with chicken and avocado, and chicken chili for dinner.

Oh, one more thing -- I bought a spiralizer and played with it last night, making some zucchini noodles that I sauteed in ghee. OMG -- I loved it. Easy and fun.

Hello everyone! How are you holding up?

I am strangely doing very well, not feeling hungry, not having any cravings or being cranky. So I assume I am going to hit a wall pretty soon and pretty hard. I am feeling too good to be true. However, my hubby cooked lunch yesterday and made peas and I ate them (as I bought them myself) and only realized afterwards that they are non-compliant. But instead of starting all over again, I am just gonna do a couple of days more at the end.

Here is a little overview on what I ate and how I felt the last days:

https://www.instagram.com/diversityforce83/

I love that idea of skyping with a same-boat-friend @Wing and a Prayer . Unfortunately, whole30 is not yet that big in Europe, so I am all by myself. So, even better I found that thread here.

Keep on fighting!

D.

Hi all! Start of day 4 here... I'm not going to lie, the headache started last night and was pretty severe. I know that this is expected as part of the withdraw from everything, but it doesn't make it any easier!!! But after a good nights sleep I'm feeling much better and hope that it doesn't return again today. Lunch yesterday was leftover salmon with roasted veg (broccoli, cauliflower and beetroot) and dinner was roasted chicken, sweet potato, avocado and broccoli. I know that this week I've been sticking to the same foods and just roasting all my veg, but this works for me now given some time limitations... I think I'll get more adventurous as the weeks go on (and when i get absolutely sick of roasted veg!)

Great work @DIversity... All your food looks amazing - I know it's hard when you're doing it alone, but its great that your husband is cooking some of the meals (even if you have to direct him!) How is everyone else doing? 

Mid-way through day 4, and I’m surprised that I have no headache and I have no urge to “Kill All The Things”. I was expecting a rough day, but it hasn’t happened. Yet.

I am eating so much better than I usually do. My food choices are filling, tasty, and pleasing to the eye – lots of colorful veggies in each meal. I am happy about all of this. But I am still wary of falling off the wagon. My Sunday cooking marathon has been a life saver this week. I will do fine if I stock plenty of good choices.

Note to self – Plan next week’s food by Saturday night!

Hey everyone!

Day 11 is allmost done. My hubby made me an excellent coconut curry with cod and veggies -delicious to taste something different then all those roasted veggies. For lunch I made chiapudding with almondmilk and ate it with mango and a few nuts, that was good too. I am trying to eat less eggs and meat and a bit more fish, shellfish and nuts.

Hey @DIversity are you speaking Dutch or French? I see you live in Brussels? I live near Rotterdam.

@Amy Rose I'm glad you feel good. So nice to eat that healthy and tasty! and that yoy dont want to kill everything anymore :)

@SineadMon hope your headaches will stay away! O, I have been so grumpy to my husband in thefirst week, so awful.

19 days to go!

• Administrators
Just now, Liesje said:

Hey everyone!

Day 11 is allmost done. My hubby made me an excellent coconut curry with cod and veggies -delicious to taste something different then all those roasted veggies. For lunch I made chiapudding with almondmilk and ate it with mango and a few nuts, that was good too. I am trying to eat less eggs and meat and a bit more fish, shellfish and nuts.

Hi @Liesje - unfortunately this chia pudding isn't your best choice. The meal template recommends protein, fat and veggies at every meal. Chia pudding is a huge amount of seeds (recommended to be limited) plus nut milk, plus other nuts (nuts, like seeds = limited) and then adding fruit.  There's no protein here and no veggies and all the chia puddings really push the boundaries of SWYPO and are generally not permitted. Could you go for salmon cakes or tuna cakes or even salmon or tuna salad?

2 hours ago, Liesje said:

Hey everyone!

Hey @DIversity are you speaking Dutch or French? I see you live in Brussels? I live near Rotterdam.

@Amy Rose I'm glad you feel good. So nice to eat that healthy and tasty! and that yoy dont want to kill everything anymore :)

@SineadMon hope your headaches will stay away! O, I have been so grumpy to my husband in thefirst week, so awful.

19 days to go!

What the heck???? Chia pudding with almond milk and mango sounds amazing!!!! Where did you get that recipe???? Lol...

2 hours ago, ladyshanny said:

Hi @Liesje - unfortunately this chia pudding isn't your best choice. The meal template recommends protein, fat and veggies at every meal. Chia pudding is a huge amount of seeds (recommended to be limited) plus nut milk, plus other nuts (nuts, like seeds = limited) and then adding fruit.  There's no protein here and no veggies and all the chia puddings really push the boundaries of SWYPO and are generally not permitted. Could you go for salmon cakes or tuna cakes or even salmon or tuna salad?

oh.... hahahaha! Nevermind @Liesje!!!!

My mom is as okay as she's going to be... Thanks for asking. We had to move her from her apartment in her residential facility, to the "memory care" part of it. She's got Alzheimer's. This is one of the reasons I want to be healthy. I would like to avoid going through what is happening to her IF AT ALL possible, and I know the food we eat is so critical to brain health. 

The good part is, I didn't go off plan! I took some perfect seared chicken, and a bunch of veggies. I'm sure I didn't eat enough yesterday, but I'm just so grateful I didn't get crazy and lose control! 

@DIversity, love your pics. I have found I really, really, really do not love veggies in my eggs either. I think I'll have to change it up to potatoes. I had to kinda choke down my egg muffin things this morning. Ugh. Glad I've finished those off! 

Off work for the next 3 days so planning on doing some recipe surfing, and more prepping. 

Keep going, Gang!!! we're over half way through our first week!!!!!

Yay!! Second half of week 1 - what a nice reminder @Wing and a Prayer. Well done on sticking to plan.. I find any type of a crisis or emotional event and I'm right back to eating poorly, so it's a wonderful achievement to have got through that. I'm sorry to hear about your mum, but I'm glad she's comfortable now.

@Liesje I'm glad you enjoyed the chia pudding and I'm sure it'll be great post-Whole30. I know I can get easily bored of the food on the program.. but to be honest, I just need to do more research and come up with more exciting recipes -- I've been eating roast veg and chicken/salmon with avocado the last 4 evenings and while I love this dinner, I desperately need a change!

@Amy Rose Good work on getting through everything.. and @DIversity thanks for the instagram link. The food looks great!

My headaches went away but I'm definitely feeling the emotional part of the program (like a child having a tantrum and just wanting everything!) It's all emotional for me! This week is going so fast and I really have to remind myself that this is easy, it is not hard, it is just changing habits and making better decisions. It's almost the weekend and I'm going to focus on food prep and meal planning! I do have a friend's party tomorrow, which is a Wine and Chocolate party of all things. I'm hoping to read some more of the Food Freedom Forever book tomorrow before I go to keep me focused on the program and not to crumble :)

Archived